McFarlane Toys 7" Harry Potter Wave 1 Figures Revealed

JayC

We have our first look shown below at the first wave of 7" scale Harry Potter figures coming from McFarlane Toys via Amazon. Here is how the wave breaks down.

Harry Potter
Features Harry Potter based on his outfit from Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2
Designed with ultra articulation with 22 Moving parts
7-Inch scale figure comes with base, background artwork, iconic wand, and Harry’s Stag patronus
Stag patronus stands approximately 5-inches tall and 3.5-Inches long
Character specific background artwork is removable from package and attaches to the base for dynamic display

Hermione Granger
- Features Hermione Granger based on her outfit from Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2
- Designed with ultra articulation with 22 Moving parts
- 7-Inch scale figure comes with base, background artwork, iconic wand, and hermione’s Otter patronus
- Otter patronus stands approximately 4-inches tall and 2.5-Inches long
- Character specific background artwork is removable from package and attaches to the base for dynamic display

Ron Weasley
- Features Ron Weasley based on his outfit from Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2
- 7-Inch scale figure comes with base, background artwork, iconic wand, and ron’s Terrier patronus
- Terrier patronus stands approximately 4-inches tall and 3-inches long
- Character specific background artwork is removable from package and attaches to the base for dynamic display

Lord Voldemort
- Features Lord Voldemort based on his outfit from Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2
- 7-Inch scale figure comes with base, background artwork, fabric robes, Elder wand, and managing the Snake
- Nagini stands approximately 2-inches tall and 2-Inches wide but can be adjusted to be taller

These are due out by the end of July.

McFarlane-Harry-Potter-Harry.jpg

McFarlane-Harry-Potter-Hermione-Granger.jpg

McFarlane-Harry-Potter-Lord-Voldemort.jpg

McFarlane-Harry-Potter-Ron-Weasley.jpg

McFarlane-Harry-Potter-Wave-1.jpg

• Like 1

The face sculpts look a little off (kind of how they did with the GOT wave where it sort of resembles the actors but not not entirely) We'll have to wait for more pictures maybe ad SDCC or when they come out to see how they come out, as is they look ok but I was expecting for them to look a little better.

I'm more of a LOTR kinda guy, but these sure look amazing, specially with their patronus. Granted, the likeness is not the best, but it's ok. I wonder if McFarlane is gonna find a ways of printing faces like other companies do, or if he's gonna stick to painting the faces.

• Like 1

These look ok. I was checking out the game of thrones figures at Walmart and I wasn't too impressed with head sculptures. They were passable enough but I definitely think the head sculptures from the marvel legends line look much better. 

8 hours ago, cbates92 said:

These look ok. I was checking out the game of thrones figures at Walmart and I wasn't too impressed with head sculptures. They were passable enough but I definitely think the head sculptures from the marvel legends line look much better. 

That's only to be expected. After all, Hasbro has resources that Mac just doesn't have access to.

23 hours ago, Thinwheat said:

Is that a soft goods outfit on Voldemort? Nice to see! 
The serpent accessory he comes with could also be good for ACBA. 

yes.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mako said:

That's only to be expected. After all, Hasbro has resources that Mac just doesn't have access to.

The thing is that McFarlane still uses just human sculptors where Hasbro is using facial scanning technology. I think using the sculptors works well for non-human characters like Voldemort but not as well for capturing the likenesses of real human actors. 

1 hour ago, JayC said:

The thing is that McFarlane still uses just human sculptors where Hasbro is using facial scanning technology. I think using the sculptors works well for non-human characters like Voldemort but not as well for capturing the likenesses of real human actors. 

Actually, some of the best likenesses I've ever seen on a figure (and I'm talking SPOOKY accurate) were done by sculptors years before face-printing or even real-scan.

A lot depends on the company's original intention. Did they WANT 100% accurate actor representations, or a representation of the actual character? Don't forget likeness rights either. Could a mere human sculptor achieve an accurate likeness of Emma Watson? Absolutely, . . . but Mac would have to pay Emma for it.

23 hours ago, DylanRaven055 said:

I'm more of a LOTR kinda guy, but these sure look amazing, specially with their patronus. Granted, the likeness is not the best, but it's ok. I wonder if McFarlane is gonna find a ways of printing faces like other companies do, or if he's gonna stick to painting the faces.

That would be cool if we got some 6" figures for LOTR done today. Imports or maybe a good offering from McFarlane or Neca.

12 hours ago, Thinwheat said:

That would be cool if we got some 6" figures for LOTR done today. Imports or maybe a good offering from McFarlane or Neca.

Haven't thought about it, but that would be awesome! I think Toybiz did dome, but some new LOTR figure would be nice, specially with the new technology. They could even do some for the "Shadow of" games. 

• Like 1

So for the Harry Potter collectors out there how are you feeling about these figures compared to some of the other HP figures from the past?  

Trying to see if I decide to start up an HP shelf if I’d be better off with these or should I go look at some of the past lines released from other companies.  

13 hours ago, DylanRaven055 said:

Haven't thought about it, but that would be awesome! I think Toybiz did dome, but some new LOTR figure would be nice, specially with the new technology. They could even do some for the "Shadow of" games. 

Yeah! I bet with the new Middle Earth tv show they're doing, we'll see a resurgence of LOTR merchandise. So hopefully that means figures! 

On 5/24/2019 at 7:02 PM, mako said:

Actually, some of the best likenesses I've ever seen on a figure (and I'm talking SPOOKY accurate) were done by sculptors years before face-printing or even real-scan.

A lot depends on the company's original intention. Did they WANT 100% accurate actor representations, or a representation of the actual character? Don't forget likeness rights either. Could a mere human sculptor achieve an accurate likeness of Emma Watson? Absolutely, . . . but Mac would have to pay Emma for it.

That doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure they still have to pay for the likeness of a person even if it isn't a 100% match. Its clearly still modeled after that person from the sources material if it's an actor from movie or TV. Companies that have made characters in video games that kinda look like celebrities have gone to court over their characters looking kinda like certain actors. So they usually go in and change the characters around a bit in further releases of the game.

2 hours ago, cbates92 said:

That doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure they still have to pay for the likeness of a person even if it isn't a 100% match. Its clearly still modeled after that person from the sources material if it's an actor from movie or TV. Companies that have made characters in video games that kinda look like celebrities have gone to court over their characters looking kinda like certain actors. So they usually go in and change the characters around a bit in further releases of the game.

That's the weird world of likeness rights. You can make a character from a specific movie, you just can't base it off the likeness of the actor who played them . . . unless you have specific permission to use that actor's likeness.

Back when Darkhorse first started doing Aliens comics, the first edict handed down to their artists was to not use any actor likenesses (Ripley couldn't look like Sigourney Weaver, etc.).

As for those video games you mentioned, those were cases where the publisher deliberately used the likeness of an actor/actress without permission, hence, they had to change the games.

• 4 weeks later...