Storm Collectibles Teases 1:12 Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Scorpion Figure

JayC

Storm Collectibles today has released an image for what seems to be teasing an upcoming 1:12 scale Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 based Scorpion figure. The image seems to show the Axe weapon that Scorpion uses in that version of the game. Check out the tease image below and stay-tuned for more details on this as they become available.

Ultimate-Mortal-Kombat-3-Scorpion-Axe.jpg

Ultimate-Mortal-Kombat-3-Scorpion-Axe00.jpg

Not ideal but this might be the chance we'll have to get a Scorpion and the other ninjas since they're a repaint.

• Like 1

ooooooohhhhh weeeee the prospects of this got me salivating. This only means that we are about to get hit with a flood of umk3 ninjas and I couldnt be happier. The only other iconic versions besides MK1/2 ninjas are the mk3 ones for me. I just hope they hold up on them and start bringing out more of the stuff they ve already shown at past cons. And spread their release windows out so I dont get bombarded all at once. 

2 hours ago, FASVB said:

Not ideal but this might be the chance we'll have to get a Scorpion and the other ninjas since they're a repaint.

They wont be repaints, they will most likely be using the mk3 unmasked subzero body mold in some fashion. These designs looked nothing like the mk1/2 ones we already have. 

46 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

They wont be repaints, they will most likely be using the mk3 unmasked subzero body mold in some fashion. These designs looked nothing like the mk1/2 ones we already have. 

He means that the other ninjas could be repaints on this new mold too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memocromatico said:

He means that the other ninjas could be repaints on this new mold too. 

I didnt think to perceive it that way. I just associate the idea of Sub zero and Scorpion from storm to be most sought after and many hope to obtain them in any shape or form. 

57 minutes ago, Satam said:

Man, I hope it comes with an alternate skull mask.  I hope they have the license for MK9 and do figures from that soon, too.

They did show an MKX scorpion prototype a year or so ago at a con. I believe they have a general license of MK spanning all the games. I imagine we wont be seeing mk9 stuff for a while, if at all. They seem to be covering mostly mk1-3 for now. Kind of weird we didnt see anything more of the mkx scorpion. 

30 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

They did show an MKX scorpion prototype a year or so ago at a con. I believe they have a general license of MK spanning all the games. I imagine we wont be seeing mk9 stuff for a while, if at all. They seem to be covering mostly mk1-3 for now. Kind of weird we didnt see anything more of the mkx scorpion. 

Yeah from what I can tell their MK licence was general (all games) from the get go, in contrast with SF where they only had the SFV licence at first and then theyve gradually been able to get licences for other games (Now SFII turbo), but I agree its most likely theyll stick with the first games for a while (they still have a ways to go with more main characters) before they start making designs from the newer games, probably wont make any MKX figures for a while since it hasnt been too long since mezco did their figures from that game, and with McFarlane doing MK11 figures I dont see storm trying to compete with mcfarlane either seeing as they have enough designs from previous games to release and make money. 

14 hours ago, abnuggler said:

Yeah from what I can tell their MK licence was general (all games) from the get go, in contrast with SF where they only had the SFV licence at first and then theyve gradually been able to get licences for other games (Now SFII turbo), but I agree its most likely theyll stick with the first games for a while (they still have a ways to go with more main characters) before they start making designs from the newer games, probably wont make any MKX figures for a while since it hasnt been too long since mezco did their figures from that game, and with McFarlane doing MK11 figures I dont see storm trying to compete with mcfarlane either seeing as they have enough designs from previous games to release and make money. 

Its no coincidence that with sfv they used the actual SFV logo but with mortal kombat they used the general mk9 one but their first figures were of the mk1/2 ninjas. In their licenses, pretty much all their properties specify a specific entry in the series' they are doing. King of Fighters 98, SFV, ULTRA SF2, World Heroes Perfect, Tekken 7, Samurai Shodown V Special. All specific entries from their respective series'.. but MK just says Mortal Kombat but in 9s logo but weve already seen prototypes for figures from other games like the cyber ninjas from mk3/umk3 and mkx scorpion. We ve also seen Liu Kang, his dragon, Mileena and Kitana in their MK2 outfits, Johnny Cage head sculpt from MK1/2. So most of the stuff theyve shown or are being made are from the first 3 so far and with this it seems they have alot coming out way in those areas first.

I think Storm wants to cover the classic avenues as these have never really got many figures if at all or in this kind of quality. And with MKs hype with the new game and new movie in talks, they want to ride that train. And since McF are doing the MK11, they may not even have that license so all the bases are covered. I dont think its about competition between the same brands. Look at Overwatch. Hasbro and SH Figuarts are doing them but in totally different price ranges and quality. I think Storm is covering their classic bases as they have more than what McF has and thats just too many sculpts to get through in a short time. 

8 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Its no coincidence that with sfv they used the actual SFV logo but with mortal kombat they used the general mk9 one but their first figures were of the mk1/2 ninjas. In their licenses, pretty much all their properties specify a specific entry in the series' they are doing. King of Fighters 98, SFV, ULTRA SF2, World Heroes Perfect, Tekken 7, Samurai Shodown V Special. All specific entries from their respective series'.. but MK just says Mortal Kombat but in 9s logo but weve already seen prototypes for figures from other games like the cyber ninjas from mk3/umk3 and mkx scorpion. We ve also seen Liu Kang, his dragon, Mileena and Kitana in their MK2 outfits, Johnny Cage head sculpt from MK1/2. So most of the stuff theyve shown or are being made are from the first 3 so far and with this it seems they have alot coming out way in those areas first.

I think Storm wants to cover the classic avenues as these have never really got many figures if at all or in this kind of quality. And with MKs hype with the new game and new movie in talks, they want to ride that train. And since McF are doing the MK11, they may not even have that license so all the bases are covered. I dont think its about competition between the same brands. Look at Overwatch. Hasbro and SH Figuarts are doing them but in totally different price ranges and quality. I think Storm is covering their classic bases as they have more than what McF has and thats just too many sculpts to get through in a short time. 

I agree with you and I get what you mean, I wasnt implying a direct competition from Storm and Mcfarlane (from a pricepoint) and as you said we dont really know if storm has the license fot MK11 as well or just the previous ones or not, what I thought was more in the line that Storm wouldnt want to "compete" with McFarlane (after all if a collector has two options of figures of the same character even if its a diferent pricepoint and what that entails, it ends up impacting both companies, after all either one gets most the purchases or they devide them, most collectors wouldnt buy both figures unless they really like the character). My thinking was more in the line of if Im Storm Collectibles then why compete with a different company over a couple figures and maybe impac somewhat my sales, when I have the license for previous versions that no one is making and that way I get all the sales, I thinks thats where they are going, they know other companies might end up doing figures of whats "new" but no one is doing figures from the older games, I think you are totally on point with the fact that they are focusing more on the "classic" avenue of the lines they have.

PS: the company that makes the Import Overwatch line is Figma not SHF (I dont really collect these but Ive seen them around)    

3 hours ago, abnuggler said:

I agree with you and I get what you mean, I wasnt implying a direct competition from Storm and Mcfarlane (from a pricepoint) and as you said we dont really know if storm has the license fot MK11 as well or just the previous ones or not, what I thought was more in the line that Storm wouldnt want to "compete" with McFarlane (after all if a collector has two options of figures of the same character even if its a diferent pricepoint and what that entails, it ends up impacting both companies, after all either one gets most the purchases or they devide them, most collectors wouldnt buy both figures unless they really like the character). My thinking was more in the line of if Im Storm Collectibles then why compete with a different company over a couple figures and maybe impac somewhat my sales, when I have the license for previous versions that no one is making and that way I get all the sales, I thinks thats where they are going, they know other companies might end up doing figures of whats "new" but no one is doing figures from the older games, I think you are totally on point with the fact that they are focusing more on the "classic" avenue of the lines they have.

PS: the company that makes the Import Overwatch line is Figma not SHF (I dont really collect these but Ive seen them around)    

Yeah I always get figma and shf mixed up as they are pretty much the same thing in my eyes. 

With the competition its really more comparing premium format figures to retail outlet figures. Some people want to splurge to have better figures whereas others may not have the cash to afford them and have a much cheaper alternative.  But I think Storm just wants to hit the nostalgia. They have the market with that because no one has made anything as good as they have nor the characters they are covering. And id imagine that when they got the MK license many years ago, they didnt know about mk11 and it most likely only covered up to X? Either way we are getting many mk figures and I for one am pretty stoked about it. 

• Like 1

That’s some nice splatter effect on that ax

Torn on the Storm Collectibles stuff. Unless you get them close to release you get burned with secondary prices through the roof so it's going to be hard as hell to do a good roster for MK if you are collecting other stuff too. Considering waiting to see some of the McFarlane stuff to give them a chance on it. Goro is one of mu fav purchases of the last year but not being able to get Scorpion, Sub Zero, Reptile makes the appeal of the whole line lightened. 

On 5/23/2019 at 4:23 PM, EvilHayato said:

I didnt think to perceive it that way. I just associate the idea of Sub zero and Scorpion from storm to be most sought after and many hope to obtain them in any shape or form. 

Like @memocromaticosaid. I meant exactly that. The base body can be  the same. They will only make a difeerent overlay and use that said overlay piece for all the ninjas.  

That said, I am very inclined to think that we will never see the OG Scorpion and Sub-Zero. 

8 minutes ago, FASVB said:

Like @memocromaticosaid. I meant exactly that. The base body can be  the same. They will only make a difeerent overlay and use that said overlay piece for all the ninjas.  

That said, I am very inclined to think that we will never see the OG Scorpion and Sub-Zero. 

I honestly dont know how I took that any different than what you initially said. I think I thought you were desperate for hope of getting them and that this was a potential indication of it. (I still need that Scorpion but im not paying 6x its msrp). I think they are just strolling through all their properties and characters that they cant really do a re-release of them. Its like once they are here, thats it. Which sucks because they are so pricey, if you cant afford them now, they run a risk of selling out and never get them again or pay the even more pricey scalper tag. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks as good as I imagined! Now I hope they keep the price point the same as they did the mk2 ninjas but thats wishful thinking since those were their first big figures and theyve only been upping their prices with every subsequent release.. 😕  

Prefer the classic version, but I guess I have to contempt myself with this instead.