Best Superman Action Figure

Emnems80

• 3 weeks later...

I’m sure this’ll go over well...

I’ve never loved any Superman figure.  And I’ve only really ever liked a small (very very small) handful.  I’m still waiting for that Superman that I love.  I thought NECA’s Dark Horse 2-pack could be the one, but then it became an exclusive and I didn’t even try to be a part of that cluster f****.  Maybe McFarlane will blow me away, finally.  

Sidenote: it’s not just Superman, Hasbro finally put out a classic Iron Man that is worth anything, and it’s amazing!

17 hours ago, DustyShelves said:

I’m sure this’ll go over well...

I’ve never loved any Superman figure.  And I’ve only really ever liked a small (very very small) handful.  I’m still waiting for that Superman that I love.  I thought NECA’s Dark Horse 2-pack could be the one, but then it became an exclusive and I didn’t even try to be a part of that cluster f****.  Maybe McFarlane will blow me away, finally.  

Sidenote: it’s not just Superman, Hasbro finally put out a classic Iron Man that is worth anything, and it’s amazing!

I was lucky enough to get my hands on the NECA. Just received it the other day but haven't got a chance to take it out of the box.

The DC Icons Man of Steel was very close, if only the head sculpt/face paint apps were better.

Looking forward to McFarlane too. Also if Mafex makes a Hush Superman?!!!!!

And agree with you about the Iron Man! Have in my Comic Avengers display now!

6 hours ago, Emnems80 said:

I was lucky enough to get my hands on the NECA. Just received it the other day but haven't got a chance to take it out of the box.

The DC Icons Man of Steel was very close, if only the head sculpt/face paint apps were better.

Looking forward to McFarlane too. Also if Mafex makes a Hush Superman?!!!!!

And agree with you about the Iron Man! Have in my Comic Avengers display now!

I’m right there with you on the Mafex idea 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We're doing 1/12 scale stuff only?  Several figures come to mind: 

Figures already mentioned:

- DC Direct Superman from 2003.  This one, for some time, was probably the best "generic" comic style Superman figure (and I don't mean generic in a negative fashion...more like "regular").  I love the V shaped body and large S.  As mentioned there are many reissues of this one.  Don't get the "Reactivated" version from 2006; many reports of broken off hands in package.

- DC Essentials Superman.  This may be the current generic one to get, based on price and availability (inexpensive and easy to find).  Description says its based in Jason Fabok designs, but I don't see it, really.  The articulation is fantastic (much better than the 2003 figure).  Loses points for sculpted on but unpainted belt loops and awkwardly articulated ankles.

- NECA SDCC 2019 Exclusive.  I can understand the arguments for this one being the best.  The sculpt and paint apps are top notch.  The articulation points plentiful.  Nice heat vision accessories.  A fabric cape that drapes beautifully.  One ding: the material.  NECA uses a rubbery plastic that I really dislike.  Joints are super stiff to start.  I used a blow dryer to soften them up a bit.  Still feels like it's gonna break when posing it. 

Another ding is more of a personal thing, but applies to all three of these figures...no sculpted S; the S shield is just painted on.  I'm a sucker for a raised S shield :)

Figures not mentioned that I really like:

- Mezco One:12 Collective Classic Superman.  Man I love this one.  The face sculpt is fantastic.  Actual fabric outfit.  Great articulation with double jointed knees and elbows.  This is the one 1/12 scale Superman that catches my eyes the most in my cabinet.  Unfortunately, long sold out and very expensive to get on the secondary market.

- DC Collectibles Jim Lee Cel Shaded Superman.  Just came out and exclusive to GameStop.  Based on the New 52 costume.  This is actually a repaint of a figure that has been released several times.  This version, which looks like it just popped off of a comic book page, is my favorite.  Limited articulation though, so your miles may vary.

- DC Collectibles Lee Bermejo Designer Series Superman.  If you like his art, check this one out, because it is a great 3D representation of what Bermejo does on the page.  The wrinkles on the suit, the shading effects, the sculpted S. Just a beautiful figure. Works both as a classic and stylized Superman figure at the same time. Again, like the Jim Lee one I just mentioned, limited articulation.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen any of the McFarlane line on store shelves where I live in South Florida yet, but I was able to get the Superman on the Wal-Mart website.

I was torn whether or not to get any of these figures, but the Superman figure is really growing on me. Didn't expect to like it at all and to be honest at this point I love it. The sculpting, paint and general feel of the figure suggest a much more expensive item. The face sculpt in particular is one of my favorite Superman portraits ever. Also the raised and sculpted "S" shield on the chest really looks great. If it had a cloth cape it might challenge the NECA Superman; again IMO.

Now lets be clear; I'm not saying it is the best Superman figure I have ever seen or owned. The NECA Superman is still the best Superman figure on the market at that scale by far (IMO); however, the McFarlane Superman is giving the Essentials Superman a serious challenge for #2 in my opinion.

My favorite Superman is the DC Superheroes Superman, really love the head sculpt and overall look of him, when he came out around 2006 I couldn't believe how awesome he was, still have him on display!

A close second would be the McFarlane Superman, he might have the best head sculpt of any Superman figure I've seen, love his height, dig the 7" scale of the new line. The only issue I have is the ankle and wrist joints, they don't look the best and posing him can be a challenge at times. If not for that he may be my pick for best.

• 4 years later...

Four years later and Mafex is still #1 for me. The more recent Mezco is an improvement over their original release but could (should?) have been so much better. McFarlane has a few okay ones but I feel we still haven't seen that perfect one released from them.