CW Ending Arrow With Shortened Season 8

JayC

Arrow, the DCTV series that started it all for the CW's current run of DC Comics based shows will be coming to an end with season 8, which will only include 10 episodes. The show which stars Stephen Amell has had a good run and spun off other shows which includes The Flash, Supergirl and DC Legends Of Tomorrow. Black Lightning which is another DC Comic based show on the network technically isn't part of the "Arrowverse," but probably should be included in the list of shows that have life thanks to the Green Arrow and it's success. The reason given for ending the show is so Warner Bros. and The CW can make way for a second generation of DC based shows which we already know will include the likes of Batwoman that has a pilot episode in production for the network.

Will this mean that Oliver Queen's (Stephen Amell) actual story will be coming to an end as well? It's possible he could die in next year's big "Arroverse" crossover event titled Crisis On Infinite Earths, or perhaps he will live on to have the occasional guest-appearance in the remaining DC shows, only time will tell.

I personally think that the reasons are others. Might even be something with Amel. Although at the end of the last crossover she did had a secret pact with the Monitor. Who knows? Hope that he clarifies his reasoning. To me everything sounded too sudden. 

Sure nthe show was not that good anymore. But still.  There's more behind all of this. 

7 hours ago, LDSuperman said:

I know that all shows have to end but I didn't think it would be so soon.

"Soon" is a relative term, I guess.  Personally I don't think any tv show should last beyond seven seasons max.  Generally you start to run out of fresh ideas by that time, the cast that hooked you in the first place starts to slowly leave, and before you know it your favorite show is on life support because producers find it easier to keep it hobbling along rather than replace it with something fresh and new.  I'm not talking Arrow specifically, just in general.

Now, SPECIFICALLY about Arrow:  I haven't watched regularly since season 2 and not for lack of trying. I do appreciate the show's contribution to superhero TV, however. Because of it, we have one whole network that runs one superhero show per night, and every other network that has at least one. It was a trend setter.  Thanks, Arrow!

PS....I call for FULL, healthy goatee with curled up mustache for the final episode.  

I think they should end both Arrow and Flash and create a team-up show between the two. I doubt that would happen but I do hope they don't kill the Queen character so he can be brought in occasionally for guest appearances.

Overall the show ending doesn't bother me to much as it does seem story wise its run it's course.

Stephen Amell confirmed he was signed for Season 8.

“Playing Oliver Queen has been the greatest professional experience of my life… but you can’t be a vigilante forever,” Stephen wrote.

“Arrow will return for a final run of 10 episodes this Fall. There’s so much to say… for now I just want to say thank you.”

The show’s producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Beth Schwartz released a statement.

“This was a difficult decision to come to, but like every hard decision we’ve made for the past seven years, it was with the best interests of Arrow in mind,” they said. “We’re heartened by the fact that Arrow has birthed an entire universe of shows that will continue on for many years to come. We’re excited about crafting a conclusion that honors the show, its characters and its legacy and are grateful to all the writers, producers, actors, and — more importantly — the incredible crew that has sustained us and the show for over seven years.”

I have mixed feelings.  I have watched every single episode of Arrow despite not liking the recent seasons, and it feels like it is time to end the series on their own terms.  I have high hopes for the Batwoman series and I do hope there is a way Oliver Queen can occasionally reappear on that show or others once in a while.

This got me thinking that there is more to this than anyone is saying...

I have a feeling that The CW went to the cast of Arrow and wanted to renew their contracts for another 3 years and Amell said no way.  Most contracts for shows are for 5 years and then renewed for another 3 years.  This would have put the cast through season 8 and The CW wanted them for more seasons. 

If we all recall, The CW announced in December I believe that all of their shows have been renewed for the next season.  Why would The CW announce Arrow being renewed just to have this news drop that season 8 will be the final season and it would only be 10 episodes?

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

This got me thinking that there is more to this than anyone is saying...

I have a feeling that The CW went to the cast of Arrow and wanted to renew their contracts for another 3 years and Amell said no way.  Most contracts for shows are for 5 years and then renewed for another 3 years.  This would have put the cast through season 8 and The CW wanted them for more seasons. 

If we all recall, The CW announced in December I believe that all of their shows have been renewed for the next season.  Why would The CW announce Arrow being renewed just to have this news drop that season 8 will be the final season and it would only be 10 episodes?

Rumors are saying that Oliver dies in this fall's crossover.  If that's the case then there is every chance that this 10 episode season is a red herring and that he comes back at some later date (because comic characters never stay dead).  

At this point I'd give it a 50/50 chance.

This goodbye sounds very final.

He says that is because if his family

It hardly seems like it all began that long ago, to me... I say this, not having watched beyond some of the third season, because I got rid of cable tv and just had a lot of other things, like anime, that I preferred to direct my attentions toward. I guess for some though, as was Smallville, Enterprise and some of the former Star Trek series for me, this will be the end of an era — a liftime, in some cases — and I hope it delivers for them whatever it is that they most want out of it.

Damn. Shows can't last forever I guess. Stephen Amell probably just wants to focus on his wrestling career lol. AEW came calling with a contract.

It would be pretty cool if they started condensing the shows instead of outright cancelling them. Doing a team up show or maybe an anthology style show. The first half of the season can be based around one character then the second half would be based on another. Then the next season's first half could be based on a third character and the second half based on the first character again. Keep each characters story short and cycle them out so that they don't get stale or overexposed. Maybe even have two shows doing the same thing. Season 1a is Batwoman and 2b is Arrow. Season 2a is Legends and 2b is Vixen. Meanwhile the second show could have season 1a be Black Lightning and 2b is Supergirl. Season 2a is Flash and 2b is Constantine. Or swap any one half season for a team-up of two or more main characters. Then also have full team-up, Justice League style seasons. Actually just get rid of all the shows and do three or four of this style show and spread out all the characters between them. There's more than enough characters to focus at least half a season of them every so often. I wouldn't want a whole show based on Wild Dog, Mr. Terrific, Killer Frost, Guardian or any of the other support characters but it would be cool to focus the half season on one of them from time to time.

Main tier (most focus and multiple seasons go to them):
Arrow.
Flash.
Supergirl.
Batwoman.
Black Lightning.
Legends.
Suicide Squad.

Second tier (anyone else tied to the other main tier shows, kinda like limited solo run books. Can even be split into quarter seasons and have two every half season):
The Ray.
Vixen.
Martian Manhunter.
Constantine.
Kid Flash.
Cupid.
Vibe.
Citizen Cold.
Deadshot.
Ragman.
Heatwave.
Black Canary.
White Canary.
Wildcat.
Everyone else.

I wonder what the odds of McFarlane doing Arrow toys are.  My guess is probably low.  Mattel's Arrow (and Flash and Supergirl) is sub par at best, coming out just before they started to up their game.  All of their other TV figures are descent, but those three blow.  I'd like to see McFarlane take a crack at them.  Funny how even though I watch very little of the CW shows, I still want figures from them