#NYTF19 - What Did You Like And What Were You Most Disapointed With?

JayC

• JayC pinned this topic

For me Marvel Legends once again won the day with the most exciting things of the show though Transformers with Omega Supreme and Jetfire were a close second.

McFarlane while not having a whole lot that personally excited me this year, I am very hopeful for the future with them and what they will be doing with line like DC Comics and Mortal Kombat. Even their Harry Potter stuff looked pretty impressive though I am not personally a big Potter fan. 2020 I think is going to be an exciting time with them and for DC fans in general which is something I don't think is something they have been able to say for some time.

Most disappointing I would say was Mattel. Other than WWE I really can't say they had anything worth noting. Being they are winding down their own DC stuff that really shouldn't be to much of surprise. Playmates was another that was really lackluster not that I think that will surprise anyone.

Overall I feel like their some significant shifts going on in the toy industry and while I think Hasbro will continue to be a major player when it comes to action figures, I see companies like McFarlane really upping their game and will be giving real challenges to the like of NECA, Mezco and even Hasbro themselves, especially when the battle for premium shelf space out in retail land is becoming more and more of a rare commodity.

Mezco Keaton Batman is what I liked the most, that movie is still my favorite and I will definitely get it.  I was hoping to see something of Neca's DC figures, the Predator and Aliens or even a new 1\4 scale Batman Returns or their take on new Marvel character.  I have mixed feelings on Mattel.  I love the character choice on the final waves but execution and quality wise, plus not really knowing if any of those will actually be released makes me not get as excited.  

I was most impressed with the mezco lineup. Aquaman looks great and I heard from a little birdy that gambit has some really cool design elements on him if they keep what the artist/figure designer did. 

I was pretty shocked at the lack of ghostbusters especially with the hype around the new movie building up. 

I was disappointed with Mattel's DC offerings, but that's just par for the course. Same with the Jurassic Park stuff. I was also hoping they might announce another one of their WWE fantasy lines (Zombies, Mutants, Monsters), but no dice.

I am kind of interested in the Toy Story 4 Star Command Space Ship. Looks like it could be in 6" scale. Gotta keep an eye out for that.

As usual, Hasbro is the big winner. Power Rangers, Overwatch AND Marvel? Why did anybody else even bother showing up?

And has anybody NOT gone absolutely nuts over those Neca TMNT 2-Packs? Guess Playmates had to hit absolute rock-bottom before Neca stepped in to tow the line. Can't wait for those.

As for McFarlane or even Neca challenging the big boys? I don't see that happening. Sure they may carve themselves a real comfortable niche at the check-out line between the Pokemon and Magic the Gathering cards at Walmart, and between the low-rent digital TVs and laptop cases at Target, but that's a long way from making top tier . . . or even getting close. Crap, Playmates has only made it two second tier, and they've had Ninja Turtles for 35 years.

As a Star Wars collector, and fan of dioramas, The "Jabba's palace' playset was a nice surprise, I hope it leads to some more modular sets. I was also impressed by the likeness on the 6" E1 Obi-Wan. 

It would've been nice to see the 'Retro' line  expand beyond essentially 6 repro's and a pack-in (Tarkin), I guess time will tell w/ those

51982037_10156387141044436_8406461298581176320_n.jpg

IMG_2652__scaled_600.jpg.5aefba6d5ce4503ed5492a50774bfb49.jpg

IMG_2658__scaled_600.jpg.bd5e8be63400fe7490f6f7151f27fe81.jpg

IMG_2681__scaled_600.jpg.85d9b094cb7c783fb4a4e2537ea15a24.jpg

The Good

1. I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get that updated Star Wars Vintage Collection skiff (x2).
  2. The Alien Parker figure is something I've wanted forever, and NECA doesn't disappoint with this one.
  3. Alpha Predator is a nice return to NECA creating some semi-original designs, which I feel like they really excel at.
  4. Bruce Lee from Diamond Select looks excellent. Also John Wick.
  5. Diamond Select Psylocke and Rogue may have just convinced me to start a small X-men centered collection, provided they fit with my existing NECA/DCC collection.

The Bad

1. I'm pretty bummed that we still don't seem to have any info on the release date for Storm Collectibles' Darkseid figure or any details at all, really (unless I missed something).
  2. Is Mattel joking with that Michael Keaton Batman? Did someone sneak a bad custom figure in when no one was looking?
  3. I still don't think DC Essentials Wonder Woman looks very good. And where is Green Lantern? Canceled?

• Like 1

My top 3:

1. NECA: As usual a great variety of fantastic stuff in the booth.  The TMNT figures are the biggest stand outs for me, but just as interesting movie/horror product coming out as well and it's always good to see more of the Alien Nostromo crew getting made into figures. 

2. Super7: Lot of great stuff shown for the MOTU license but what's really exciting that I wasn't expecting was them making "Classic" style figures for other license properties (Toxic Crusaders, Conan, Voltron, etc).  That's something I wasn't expecting to see from them.  Also really enjoying their reaction assortments and what properties they are doing in that format.  Good stuff!

3.  Hasbro--specifically Marvel Legends but with an honorable mention for Star Wars vintage collection: So many great looking Marvel Legends figures are coming this is definitely going to be a banner year for the line.  And I'm thrilled to see the vintage collection is still going and that there's going to be more items to go with my Sail Barge.  Also have to mention that Omega Supreme looks great and I'm hoping there is a special edition version I can pick up at SDCC this year just like they had for Devestator/Metroplex/Fortress Maximus. 

My bottom 3:

1. My wallet: There's just so much stuff coming this year and while I'm sure I'm going to get a large chunk of it somethings are going to get left out of my collection specifically due to monthly budgets.  So while it's great that all these companies are producing so much exciting product some of these brands also need to slow down a little bit just to give their customer base a better opportunity to actually be able to buy said product.  And here is where my excitement with the Top 3 comes down a peg slightly because 2 of the brands I'm expecting to be most taxing this year are going to be Hasbro's Marvel Legends line and Super7's MOTU offerings.  Just based on what's been revealed thus far you're looking at spending around $2300-2400 thus far if you pay MSRP plus tax and we know there will still be more items and comic con exclusives yet to be revealed that will come in the second half of the year.  So we're easily looking at well over $3500 worth in figures for 2019 if you pay full price and frankly that's just too much in a single calendar year.  Luckily there will be sales that occur to bring that price down, but there's also the possibility of there being figures that you never find at retail that will drive the price back up due to the increase on the secondary market.  Likewise I'm giving Super7 the same criticism for the MOTU license.  Super7 has had a new and sizable MOTU preorder (or 2) get listed each month this year and that trend is already guaranteed to continue through at least May when we get hit with the $600 Snake Mountain, but it's not as if the trend is going to stop there since we know the reaction MOTU figures are still coming after that, and we can be pretty sure they will have other stuff planned for the 2nd half of the year that they'll promote at SDCC.  At the price point they are selling items for at Super7 should really be making their preorders be a quarterly offering instead of a monthly offering, especially in a year where there will be a Snake Mountain preorder on top of it.  Both Hasbro and Super7 really needs to scale just the quantity back a little, space things out more, and not bleed their customer base too dry too quickly.  This will let those who have limited funds stay in the collecting game, while at the same time allow collectors like myself to continue to branch out and enjoy some of the other items those companies are putting out. 

2.  Nothing for Thundercats or GI Joe: I honestly wasn't expecting anything for GI Joe this year (next year is another story) so it's not that much of a disappointing but Thundercats Classics was something I was hopeful there might be an update on. 

3. Mattel in general: with no Thundercats, and no MOTU there really wasn't much to get excited about at Mattel for me.  DC Multiverse is winding down so there's not going to be a ton offered (and I'm wondering if some of the figures already shown either at NYTF or previously won't just end up becoming an SDCC exclusive boxset since retail will be starting to take them off their planograms almost immediately after the holidays.  Likewise WWE only showed a small number of figures I'm interested in.  Then again the shortage of stuff at Mattel might actually be a blessing since there is soooo much coming from the aforementioned Hasbro, Super7, and NECA. 

I also was happy to see the Phantom Menace Obi-Wan with that great likeness and the return of Darth Maul to the Star Wars black.  There were rumors about Maul when they announced the Archives but I'm happy to have him confirmed even if I have to wait til after the convention for them both to be in the regular line.

I Think I'd have to say the Mezco Keaton Batman, Harley Quin and Wonder Woman with The DC Collectibles Essentials Red Hood stole the show for me, I was pleasantly pleased with the few Batman centered Multiverse reveals but wish there was more brought out from them from the stuff we know is coming. Finally, I'm actually really stoked about those Luchador figures. I would have made sense for there to be a Bane and Doomsday in that style but they may be coming too. Who knows. 

All those beautiful MCU figures. I think we might start getting to the point where it's like Star Wars and anybody in the movies will get a figure in due time, if Luis, Peggy and MJ are any indication of it. Imagine a Stan Lee Cameo Boxset for an exclusive.

I was disappointed with the lack of 6" JP figures from Mattel, the not showing of the Inklings (or lack of pictures ANYWHERE) from Figma, and that only one Ranger caught my interest.

Extremely satisfied with the NECA and Bandai offerings that were revealed.

Extremely disappointed to learn that NECA is currently not pursuing the production of a KotM King Ghidorah due to cost concerns. Hopefully that is something that will change if the other KotM figures prove to be profitable.

Pleasantly surprised with how well the PR Lightning collection looks and that villains are getting represented right away. Will definitely go all in on it if they make some of the classic monsters tossed into waves every once in a while. 

That Ghostbusters Ecto-1 TF looks awesome, even if you are just looking for an Ecto-1 for display and don't care about the transforming part of it. 

Well Hasbro seems to be firing on all cilinders and just keeps pumping out good looking figures left and right, in regards to them I was pleasantly surprised by all 5 sets of ML 40th anniversary comic based figures as well as hydroman and jessica drew spiderwoman from the Far from home wave, the reveal of the 3 Pack with Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Magneto, the X-Men vintage wave, Nighcrawler, Boom-Boom and Mr. Sinester from the X-force wave, but was disapointed in the Doppleganger figure and I really hope the scorpion figure comes with an alternate uncovered mouth head.

From other companies what I most liked were Boss Logic's Sam and Max figures, Neca's TMNT Cartoon 2 packs (specially the posibility of a second wave with beebop and rocksteady), and Sagat & Guile from Storm Collectibles.

Mid-like goes to Super 7's He-Man Movie figures, dont get me wrong they look very nice (well he-man's face looks a little off but I understant they are based off desings rather than real likeness of the actors) Id be really excited for these but with Super 7's track record with MOTUC im still a little weary.

Most Disapointed has to go with Mattel's DC figures, I would have expected them to go out with a bang but it seems theyre only intrested in milking the licence with the figures they already had in plans and just letting it go (no new announcements, no news, nothing worth mentioning).

on a side note, It wasnt shown in toyfair but that One:12 Moonknight from Mezco that was shown in their catalogues looks really nice.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, GojiBill said:

Extremely satisfied with the NECA and Bandai offerings that were revealed.

Extremely disappointed to learn that NECA is currently not pursuing the production of a KotM King Ghidorah due to cost concerns. Hopefully that is something that will change if the other KotM figures prove to be profitable.

I participated in a live stream of a guided walkthrough of the Neca booth in which I asked two questions:

1: Do they have any plans to release a Panther Alien in the Kenner Alien line? (this didn't get answered directly)

2: Will they be making a Gidorah figure?  The answer was the most disappointing part of toy fair for me. They basically said that to do one in scale it would be so big they'd have to retail at 150 dollars or so and they weren't sure that there would be enough of a consumer base at that price point. I get it...just super disappointing.

I'm most excited about McFarlane Mortal Kombat figures being an actual thing. The more I look at the whole two images they have provided to us, the more excited I get. I played MK in the arcade as a child, actually it was primarily at Pizza Hut back when they had arcades in them. I'm a lifelong fan of the franchise and have really been enjoying the resurgence in popularity over the last decade or so. Ive got the storm ermac, shao kahn, and goro, but you know...I wish I had a few more figures to show for the amount of money I have in those... At least the value seems to be doubling or more as they go out of print. Sorry, I'm rambling at this point. I'm very excited.

I love that McFarlane gets the DC license! I like the DC icons that are coming out for this year. I wish DC Collectibles will do a action figure line for Dark night metal, that would be awesome! I am disappointed that there was not much for DC essential line, I hope they will keep it going.

Really stoked for the Marvel Legends X-Men figures on their way, as well as that Hulk / Original Wolverine two-pack... Excited to eventually get some of the Star Wars Black Series stuff they showed actual consumer versions of.

Hasbro is consistently killing it with just about everything they do.  Most excited for:
Classic Marvel characters Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Colossus, Nightcrawler.  To me, these characters ARE Marvel and Hasbro's run would never be complete with out them.  They just need to do a few more choice characters and I could officially retire my Marvel buying.

Power Rangers:  A dream line for me personally.  Can't wait for Zedd and White Rangers but it's even fun seeing characters I'm not familiar with.

Star Wars:  Not a ton revealed that I would be needing but still cool.

As far as other lines go:

McFarlane--just him talking about DC gets me excited to see what he has in store.

MOTU--I've always wanted to movie He-Man and Skeletor, but those prices......

NECA--I hope I can find those animated Turtles some day.

Mattel--Yaaaawnnn.  The look like a company about to get out of the superhero business.  Time to pass the Torch, Mattel.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:51 AM, Bespin refugee said:

I was also impressed by the likeness on the 6" E1 Obi-Wan. 

51982037_10156387141044436_8406461298581176320_n.jpg

IMG_2652__scaled_600.jpg.5aefba6d5ce4503ed5492a50774bfb49.jpg

IMG_2658__scaled_600.jpg.bd5e8be63400fe7490f6f7151f27fe81.jpg

IMG_2681__scaled_600.jpg.85d9b094cb7c783fb4a4e2537ea15a24.jpg

So am I and at the same time I'm not at all surprised.  Hasbro's photo real tech has put them on par if not better than any high end import.  This is the new standard I expect from them.

It's also made me a mark for prequel characters as well.  Just picked up Padme last week!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • JayC unpinned this topic