Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

Bespin refugee

ObiWanKenobi__scaled_600.jpg

The long-rumored Obi-Wan Kenobi project may now have new life as a limited series on Disney's soon to launch streaming service, Disney+. Following the last year's disappointing box-office performance of Solo, hopes for a spin-off film based around Obi-Wan seem to have faded, but, SrarWarsNewsNet.com reports Kenobi could, instead, join Cassian Andor and The Mandalorian, as a limited (6 episodes?) series on Disney+, a streaming service said to launch later this year. Of course, until announced by Disney, this should be considered a rumor, for now.

And this, from the ‘Milk IT For All It’s Worth’ file... Though, I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be watching.

• 5 months later...

The rumors gain steam again...

Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan To Return In Disney+ Series?

Sources say Ewan McGregor is in talks to reprise the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi in a series for the upcoming Disney+ streaming service. A Kenobi movie had been rumored for years, but, Solo's disappointing box office seemed to diminish it's chances. Once confirmed, Kenobi will join The Mandalorian and the Cassian Andor series in the Star Wars live-action lineup.
(Source: Variety.com)

• 2 weeks later...

2019 D23 Expo: Video Of Ewan McGregor Confirming His Return As Kenobi

The rumors were confirmed today at the D23 Expo as Ewan McGregor was announced to return as Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi for a series on the upcoming Disney+ streaming service. . Here's a look at the actual announcement.

• Bespin refugee changed the title to Kenobi Series To Air On Disney+ Streaming Service
  • 1 month later...
Director_deborah-chow__scaled_600.jpg

After serving as one of the directors on the upcoming series The Mandalorian, Deborah Chow has now been announced to direct the recently announced series that will focus on Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi eight years after the events of Revenge of the Sith. iHossein Amini (The Alienist, Drive) was also named as the writer for the series. Both The MAndalorian and the "Kenobi" series will air on the Disney+ streaming service.

'Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy stated, “We really wanted to select a director who is able to explore both the quiet determination and rich mystique of Obi-Wan in a way that folds seamlessly into the Star Wars saga. Based on her phenomenal work developing our characters in The Mandalorian, I’m absolutely confident Deborah is the right director to tell this story.”'

Chow, Amini, and McGregor will serve as Executive Producers alongside Kathleen Kennedy, Tracey Seaward (The Queen) and John Swartz (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story). Jason McGatlin, Lucasfilm’s Executive Vice President Production, will serve as co-producer.
(Source: StarWars.com)

Director_deborah-chow__scaled_600.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hossein_Amini__scaled_600.jpg

DiscussingFilm.net talks to screenwriter Hossein Amini (‘Drive’, ‘47 Ronin’, ‘Snow White and The Huntsman’ and ‘The Snowman’) about the recently confirmed "Kenobi" series, coming to the Disney+ streaming service. The series is said to be a six-episode limited series, and is scheduled to start filming in July. Like Ewan, Amini had had to remain tight-lipped about the project, but, says he has been involved for almost two years, on and off. You can read more at DiscussingFilm.net.

• 2 months later...

The news that hit the net late yesterday that the Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone series which would star Ewan McGregor was being delayed due to script problems is being downplayed by the actor who spoke with Variety shortly after the news broke.

“I think we start shooting early next year as opposed to summer this year,” Ewan McGregor, who will reprise his role of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the series, told Variety at the “Birds of Prey” fan event at Hollywood and Highland. “I think the scripts are great. They’re in really good shape. They want them to be better. I think we keep our same airdate. All good.” He went on to say, “I didn’t realize until we got here tonight and everybody is going, ‘Oh, my god!, but it’s not really as dramatic as it might seem.

The initial reports have indicated that the series is facing greater problems over needing better scripts than McGregor lets on. It's hard to say if the actor is being truthful about the issues being as problematic as they seem or if he is simply trying to do some damage control for the studio, my guess is it's the later, but we will just have to wait and see.

While Obi Wan might be one of the best Jedis that we have seen with an excellent portrayal by Ewan McGregor, I am interested and concerned for this new show. With the exception of Mandalorian, the show that people wait for on a weekly basis similar to Game Of Thrones! Disney has shown me that they do not respect the intelligence nor the time that we fans take to watch these new properties. Parts seven through nine were lackluster to say the least. We know Obi Wan's story from beginning to end, how is a new show based on a man living on a dessert planet going to be interesting? I hope they can pull this off, Disney might be making money off this franchise but they need to start respecting their cliental, or they might have the next Transformer movie franchise on their hands. 

• Like 1

I'm good on waiting, to be honest I'm kind of 50/50 on this series. On one hand there the prospect of exploring that time period might be interesting on the other hand I have to wonder how many stories can they tell of Obi Wan in exile on Tatooine.

• 1 year later...

Indira Varma Joins The Cast Of The Disney+ Star Wars Kenobi Series

indira-varma__scaled_600.jpg

Vanity Fair announces Indira Varma (Game Of Thrones, ABCs For Life) will join Ewan McGregorr and Hayden Christensen in the Disney+ series, with Joby Harold writing and Mandalorian veteran Deborah Chow directing.

Wish I could say I still had some interest in this one . . . but I don't.

This should be a new golden age for Star Wars, but it just seems like all the behind the scenes political garbage is stealing all the spotlight. Amidst all the BS, I'd forgotten they were even doing an Obi-Wan series. Then this whole Gina Carano thing happens and it's just a step to far.

Star Wars just isn't fun anymore.

Congratulations to Indira though. If she keeps her mouth shut, her head low, and tows that company line, they may even let her keep the job. I sure wouldn't want it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Disney+ Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi Series To Begin Filming In April, Cast Announced

Cast__scaled_600.jpg

New Lucasfilm Special Event Series “Obi-Wan Kenobi” To Begin Production

March 29, 2021

Cast Announced for Original Series Coming Exclusively to Disney+

“Obi-Wan Kenobi,” the new Disney+ special event series starring Ewan McGregor as the iconic Jedi Master, will begin shooting in April. The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith” where Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

“Obi-Wan Kenobi” is directed by Deborah Chow, director of two critically acclaimed episodes of “The Mandalorian,” Season 1.

The series also marks the return of Hayden Christensen in the role of Darth Vader.

Joining the cast are Moses Ingram, Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell and Benny Safdie.

“Obi-Wan Kenobi” is executive-produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Deborah Chow, Ewan McGregor and writer Joby Harold. The casting director is Carmen Cuba.

“Obi-Wan Kenobi” will be available exclusively on Disney+.

About Disney+

Disney+ is the dedicated streaming home for movies and shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and more. As part of Disney’s Media and Entertainment Distribution segment, Disney+ is available on most internet-connected devices and offers commercial-free programming with a variety of original feature-length films, documentaries, live-action and animated series, and short-form content. Alongside unprecedented access to Disney’s incredible library of film and television entertainment, the service is also the exclusive streaming home for the latest releases from The Walt Disney Studios. Disney+ is available as part of a bundle offer that gives subscribers access to Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Visit DisneyPlus.com to subscribe and/or learn more about the service.
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, memocromatico said:

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru!!! Not sure how they'll show up, but I'm happy they are!

I always figured that at some point Obi Wan tried to teach or express interest in teaching Luke about the force or the jedi and Owen refused and forbade Obi Wan for interacting with Luke or something of the sort. I'm sure some sort of interaction will occur with Obi Wan and Owen Lars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, ext1jvs said:

While Obi Wan might be one of the best Jedis that we have seen with an excellent portrayal by Ewan McGregor, I am interested and concerned for this new show. With the exception of Mandalorian, the show that people wait for on a weekly basis similar to Game Of Thrones! Disney has shown me that they do not respect the intelligence nor the time that we fans take to watch these new properties. Parts seven through nine were lackluster to say the least. We know Obi Wan's story from beginning to end, how is a new show based on a man living on a dessert planet going to be interesting? I hope they can pull this off, Disney might be making money off this franchise but they need to start respecting their cliental, or they might have the next Transformer movie franchise on their hands. 

Agreed. Sounds utterly boring if I'm being completely honest. Would have much rather they covered the flipside -- focus on Anakin's whimsical and family-friendly misadventures closely following his doh! moment on Mustafar.

• 9 months later...
Disney+ has released a new posted and announced the premier date of May 25, 2022 for the new Obi-Wan Kenobi live-action series which will star Ewan McGregor.

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" where Obi-Wan Kenobi faced his greatest defeat - the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side as evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

The series also marks the return of Hayden Christensen in the role of Darth Vader. Joining the cast are Moses Ingram, Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell and Benny Safdie.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi" is executive-produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Deborah Chow, Ewan McGregor and Joby Harold.

Obi-Wan.jpg

• Bespin refugee changed the title to Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi Series To Premiere May 25th

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE