New 9" DC Prime Figures Coming From DC Collectibles

JayC

Some will likely say DC Collectibles is moving in the wrong direction when it comes to scale, but today they announced via THR a new line of highly articulated and detailed 9" figures based on your favorite DC Comic Book characters. The line is being called DC Prime and the figures are being made as a collaboration between artist Riccardo Federicci and sculptor Wonil Song. The figures will be packed with accessories such as multiple hands and head sculpts. The first figure to be released will be Batman. No word on when these will be released or for how much, but I am sure we will get those details by tomorrow during the New York Toy Fair.

DC-Prime-01.jpg

DC-Prime-02.jpg

Play Arts Kai is also what I immediately thought of.  I bought a few of those a couple years ago when I got back into collecting, but that was when they were under $100.  This Bats does look cool I admit and I tend to like the slightly bigger scale but it's all wait and see with much of DC toys right now.

Someone is seriously messing up at DC.  You change the size (NO ONE has figured out that toy collectors kinda dig scale) and you do.....Batman for like the millionth time!??!  How many Batmen/Supermen/Wonder Women do people need?  If that was a cool new character in the scale...I may have bit.  But another Batman...out of scale with my DC and ML figs that will probably run 60 bucks....bye Felicia.  Hopefully McFarlane will be about something.  I'll keep saying it: there are FAR TO MANY DC characters who have never seen plastic that I am sure people would love to have.  I know I have mine: Icon, Hardware, Grifter, Wetworks, Zod, Jon Kent, Batman Eternal Azreal; and I know others have theirs...between this and those awful lucgadores....DC Direct is on life support.  I don't understand how it can be so hard for these folks to not get this action figure thing figured out.

In a way, I think this is a good move for DC Collectibles.

I know a lot of people like to mix their Mattel Multiverse figures with their DC Collectibles figures-- or just like to have a uniform scale for their collection across the board. But, the problem DC Collectibles has is that they are competing too directly with what's already on toy shelves across the world (from Mattel.)

With this new scale (which I wonder doesn't come from McFarlane now having the "universal" license to create 6" DC figures) and the extra gear and hands/heads, I feel like DC Collectibles is finally doing what they should be doing-- offering premium format action figures of the DC charavters aimed squarely at DC collectors who want something more "premium" than they can find at retail. I think that's where their focus should be in terms of action figures.

31 minutes ago, GrenadierStinny said:

In a way, I think this is a good move for DC Collectibles.

I know a lot of people like to mix their Mattel Multiverse figures with their DC Collectibles figures-- or just like to have a uniform scale for their collection across the board. But, the problem DC Collectibles has is that they are competing too directly with what's already on toy shelves across the world (from Mattel.)

With this new scale (which I wonder doesn't come from McFarlane now having the "universal" license to create 6" DC figures) and the extra gear and hands/heads, I feel like DC Collectibles is finally doing what they should be doing-- offering premium format action figures of the DC charavters aimed squarely at DC collectors who want something more "premium" than they can find at retail. I think that's where their focus should be in terms of action figures.

The problem is that DCC is the only game in town when it comes to the 7" scale, so if you want your DC figures to square off against your NECA figures, you only have DCC as an option. In moving to the 9" scale, the 7" collecting community is SOL. For instance, there are like a dozen movie-style Wonder Woman figures that can be purchased from various companies in the 1:12 scale. There are zero movie Wonder Woman figures available to 7" scale collectors, despite there being a demand.

I don't think people are really mixing and matching into their multiverse collections, but DCC has a following of 7" collectors. The problem is they cancel lines so frequently that people tend to have a "wait and see" attitude when it comes to their latest offerings.

DC just can't seem to get anything right for long. Green Lantern cartoon is a hit? Cancelled, and replaced with the WORST Batman show. Comics are doing well? New52! DC Essentials somewhat successful? Cancelled, and replaced with DC Icons, then cancel Icons! Mattel FINALLY getting their act together with Multiverse? Pull the master license!

28 minutes ago, MisterSkeezler said:

The problem is that DCC is the only game in town when it comes to the 7" scale, so if you want your DC figures to square off against your NECA figures, you only have DCC as an option. In moving to the 9" scale, the 7" collecting community is SOL. For instance, there are like a dozen movie-style Wonder Woman figures that can be purchased from various companies in the 1:12 scale. There are zero movie Wonder Woman figures available to 7" scale collectors, despite there being a demand.

I don't think people are really mixing and matching into their multiverse collections, but DCC has a following of 7" collectors. The problem is they cancel lines so frequently that people tend to have a "wait and see" attitude when it comes to their latest offerings.

Combine that with the new lines immediately rehashing Bats/Supes/WW again it just gets old.  That is a nice looking fig...but I'm good on Batman.  I'm sure the next one will be Supes/Flash/WW/GL.  We got them all...and the price I'm sure they'll be asking is just a bit much to jump in...only to know it will probably get cancelled.   

Looks like the not knowing what to do with DC characters so let's just throw anything out there and see what sticks approach is not restricted to movies. Is is too much to ask for a 6"-7" scale line of figures based on DC characters with predominantly classic looks and good articulation?  

Hrmm... What is it with all of these toy companies these days moving away from the 6-7” action figure scale? They either go bigger, or they go smaller. There’s a real lack of uniformity to them all. And some of the ones that have been dedicated to keeping stuff in that scale, are phasing out of it. As a collector who prefers 6-7” figures, it kinda makes me want facepalm.

Man, I can't believe this guy is priced over $100 MSRP. It just doesn't seem to have $100 worth of value here compared to other similar items. I think DC Collectibles should keep their focus on improving their Bruce Timm animated lines of figures and their 7" line of comic figures. 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:38 PM, Thinwheat said:

I think DC Collectibles should keep their focus on improving their Bruce Timm animated lines of figures and their 7" line of comic figures. 

I agree - check out the new solicitations!

• Like 1

I keep going back to this...just...stupid.  Between this line and the lucadores one...I'm wondering who in the heck is in charge.  As one off lines ok, but DC killed off DC Collectibles (which should be bread and butter...all you have to do is make classic/current costume figs OUTSIDE of the Trinity, GL, and Flash) but wants to push this.  I'll be watching what Mcfarlane does with DC.  Hopefully I can get some never made characters in plastic...because I can't count on DC Direct to do it smh.

Mattel's DC Multiverse has taken way more crap than it ever deserved. Is it Marvel Legends? No... but the quality isn't that far off for a $15-20 price point. With 3D printing and other technological advances, if McFarlane doesnt knock the DC license out of the park I really hope Mattel gets another crack at the property.