DC Comic Based Luchadores Figures From DC Collectibles

JayC

Have you ever wondered what your favorite DC Comic characters would look like as Luchadores wrestlers? Well I guess the folks at DC Collectibles have because they have created a new action figure line featuring just that. The first wave will include Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Cheetah, Metallo II and Deathstroke. The images below come via THR and they don't specifically list a scale for these, but member of the press last year actually got a sneak-peek at some of these and I want to say they were 7". The figures will start hitting comic and specialty shops in August 2019.

DC-Collectibles-Luchadores-01.jpg

DC-Collectibles-Luchadores-02.jpg

DC-Collectibles-Luchadores-03.jpg

DC-Collectibles-Luchadores-04.jpg

DC-Collectibles-Luchadores-05.jpg

DC-Collectibles-Luchadores-06.jpg

DC-Collectibles-Luchadores-07.jpg

Seriously...

WHAT THE HELL????

I really hope that they have done a market research before thinking about this. Otherwise is a huge waste of plastic. They decided not to make Justice LEague Animated figures for the amass market and instead will make these? 

Totally and utterly mindblowing stupid.  DC has and entire stable of figs that people would like and someone said ok to this?  This is why DC is failing in the action figure market.  Same characters just dumber looking...luchadores????  Really????  How about just cranking out ACTUAL COMIC FIGURES!??!?!  Like Wetworks, Milestone, Wildstorm, Classic DC/New 52/Rebirth/Elseworlds  characters...you know ones people would actually buy.  Heck if you want to mass market...I'd be ok with JLU (as long as I get Devil Ray).

24 minutes ago, Archangel2496 said:

Okay so wait, let me process this. They can make any DC figures they want. They got a new Essentials line but they throw that out the window now aswell to make..this.

But why?

Can they? I'm starting to wonder if McFarlane's deal with DC doesn't effect DC Collectibles as well.

Just a thought.

I came here to balk and deride... But, I actually kinda like that Superman. This whole line makes absolutely no sense to me. I cannot conceive of where the marketing angle for this comes from. But, at least I kinda like that Superman.

3 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I came here to balk and deride... But, I actually kinda like that Superman. This whole line makes absolutely no sense to me. I cannot conceive of where the marketing angle for this comes from. But, at least I kinda like that Superman.

Superman comic readers from the 80's might remember that "S" insignia on the belt from this bronze ago comic - Superman #406.  I also think the Superman looks okay.  Little worried that the arms will not be able to bend at the elbow though.

http://siskoid.blogspot.com/2011/08/reign-of-supermen-290-moe-superman.html

Superman 406.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mako said:

Can they? I'm starting to wonder if McFarlane's deal with DC doesn't effect DC Collectibles as well.

Just a thought.

You might be on to something, but than again McFarlane doesn´t take over until 2020 so it wouldnt be in effect just yet. Also knowing DC Collectibles action figure track record, makes me assume they´re just being themselves

$30+ each but still something I've gotta have them. I like that they're a staggered release with 1-2 every month or 2. At least I don't have to worry about them scaling with anything else. Just a fun, smallish line that has interesting takes on established characters. Also, essentials line looks like it's continuing, so that's something people can stop complaining about. 

$%#$^G what is this!!!!! I'm just stunned.  Y'all got Wildstorm, Milestone, Vertigo, DC proper...and someone threw this out and people said "okay"....I just can't today lol.  Honestly I know there are some folks who are liking these.  Not mad at them.  I just know for ME....not interested.

• 1 month later...

We have gotten confirmation from several etailers and comic shops that word came down this week of DC Collectibles pulling the plug on their newly announced DC Comic Based Luchadores line of figures that were first announced back in February during Toy Fair. It is unclear exactly why the new line was killed before it even began, whether it was due to lack of pre-orders or if it had something to do with the recent changes at DC Collectibles. For those not aware, Warner Bros. who owns DC Comics absorbed DC Collectibles into their Warner Bros. Consumer Product division. Among other things, this seemed to have caused a restructuring of personnel and resources within DC Collectibles. We have also seen them in the past year seemingly make a significant shift away from standard action figures and focus more on statues, vinyl figures and replicas. The final thing to change recently was the announcement at the beginning of the year of McFarlane Toys, another adult oriented action figure company obtaining the license to do DC Comic action figures. We know this impacted Mattel, but it really wasn't clear on what effects or impact that might have on DC Collectibles.

While the exact reason for the cancellation may remain a mystery, if you were someone who pre-ordered the Luchadores figures, I would expect you will be receiving notification of their cancellation soon if you haven't gotten one already.

14 minutes ago, Neovorticism2 said:

Not a surprise, this line was dead from day zero.

Having seen them in person I thought they were kinda a cool they but needed more articulation so you could get them in actual wrestling moves.