DC Comics Says Goodbye Mattel And Hello McFarlane Toys

JayC

Given how many toy review videos kept saying "I don't play Fortnite but these toys are cool" I'd assumed everyone would've heard about their articulation by now.

16 hours ago, Papasmurf52 said:

Well if isnt in the same ball park with the DCUC or Multiverse figures then I will be out. I don’t wanna start from scratch to get those figures. I guess it’s more money in my wallet 

Now that's the one thing I can get behind. I'm kinda stoked to see a new take on DC action figures. I wish they hadn't gone with a company owned by the second biggest douche in comics, but it'll still be interesting to see where they take the line.

I MIGHT even buy in if they play their cards right. (MIGHT)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jake_Botts said:

I like McFarlane’s quality, and am excited to see what they can do!

According to an interview making the rounds, what they can do is a "5-10 dollar" price hike. Seriously, McFarlane mentions it two or three times. That's when he's not telling us how great he is. Pretty cocksure for a guy who only barely managed to claw his way back to relevance by riding the leg of a popular video game. Seriously, search around, find the interview, read it or watch one of the videoes on it for yourself. I felt like I was back in the 90s hearing the old Image guys stroking their own egos again. Oh wait, I was.

Still, three things have been made apparent:

1. God help me, I actually miss Mattel already.

2. Liefeld just fell to the number two spot.

3. I don't know what they'll be making, but I'll stick with Spinmasters. McTodd can go Farlane himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mako said:

According to an interview making the rounds, what they can do is a "5-10 dollar" price hike. Seriously, McFarlane mentions it two or three times.

Yea, I heard about that... I kept wondering, higher price point based on what you usually put out, or higher price point in general? He likes that higher price point. Well, it better be worth it.

3 hours ago, sXeblues said:

Yea, I heard about that... I kept wondering, higher price point based on what you usually put out, or higher price point in general? He likes that higher price point. Well, it better be worth it.

What better be worth it? Action figures in a field McFarlane has almost no experience in (highly articulated mass market adult collector figures), or Big Mac's ego trip?

Either way, you have my opinion.

All I know is based these DC figs aren't gonna be cheap. I've seen more than a few people here knock that articulation but the latest offerings have been on point.  My Borderlands 0 is fantastic.  So are the Destiny figs.  My biggest concern is I'll have to deal with yet another wave of Big 3 nonsense and figures I'm really pinning for won't get made.  I need someone to stop being scared and hit the fringe figs.  My shelf is crying out for Hardware, Icon, Wetworks and the rest of Wildstorm!!  All I know is that I am hoping that McFarlane does a better job with DC than DC Direct is doing....those jokers are just totally messing up what should be an easy lay up.  

Just now, mako said:

What better be worth it? Action figures in a field McFarlane has almost no experience in (highly articulated mass market adult collector figures), or Big Mac's ego trip?

Gotta disagree...McFarlane CAN do great sculpts and articulation....just for a min he was on some BS.  It seems like he gets it now (look at Destiny, Fortnite, Color tops or whatever).  No one can ever say his figs are trash...they just complained they were statues (I was one of those people).  But I have to give him credit now and I have more than a few of his recent offerings and am 100% happy with them.  I'll be getting the GoT figs, I hope more Destiny stuff is in the pipeline, and hopefully he'll crank out some good DC offerings.

13 minutes ago, kILLMonger said:

Gotta disagree...McFarlane CAN do great sculpts and articulation....just for a min he was on some BS.  It seems like he gets it now (look at Destiny, Fortnite, Color tops or whatever).  No one can ever say his figs are trash...they just complained they were statues (I was one of those people).  But I have to give him credit now and I have more than a few of his recent offerings and am 100% happy with them.  I'll be getting the GoT figs, I hope more Destiny stuff is in the pipeline, and hopefully he'll crank out some good DC offerings.

Funko did Legacy, that doesn't mean they're ready or able to do a mass market line of figures.

But hey, your mileage may vary. If Mac wants to do DC and the people want Mac to do DC, awesome. I'm sure there'll be more than enough out there to keep me happy. If nothing else, it'll leave me free to track down some of those DCUCs I missed on the secondary market.

11 hours ago, mako said:

It better be worth it, as in — to McFarlane — put your money where your mouth is... He can talk a big game, but what matters is results and the final product. Whatever that amounts to, I hope for his sake, it’s worth it.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:04 AM, mako said:

According to an interview making the rounds, what they can do is a "5-10 dollar" price hike. Seriously, McFarlane mentions it two or three times. That's when he's not telling us how great he is. Pretty cocksure for a guy who only barely managed to claw his way back to relevance by riding the leg of a popular video game. Seriously, search around, find the interview, read it or watch one of the videoes on it for yourself. I felt like I was back in the 90s hearing the old Image guys stroking their own egos again. Oh wait, I was.

Still, three things have been made apparent:

1. God help me, I actually miss Mattel already.

2. Liefeld just fell to the number two spot.

3. I don't know what they'll be making, but I'll stick with Spinmasters. McTodd can go Farlane himself.

Oh man, I gotta get betyer at doing my research. I’m not well-versed in McFarlane stuff, I just got excited because I found the new Trek figures they did and I was impressed. Even at the $20 price point

On 2/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, kILLMonger said:

All I know is that I am hoping that McFarlane does a better job with DC than DC Direct is doing....those jokers are just totally messing up what should be an easy lay up.  

Right?! Sure, McFarlane can get pricey, but every DC Direct figure released over the last five years was WAY overpriced. No way should a 3.75” figure sell for $20-$25. No. Stinking. Way.

• Like 1

For all of you that are worried (me included) this is what Todd had to say about it on Toy Fair. 

• Like 2

Has there been any news coverage of Mattel this year from Toy Fair? I searched yesterday and literally only found one twitter post of a blurry picture that seemed to feature some Multiverse figures like a Keaton inspired Batman and Red Robin in his rebirth costume.

So did at some point McFarlane have a stroke or something? Because I dont remember him sounding like hes got marbles in his mouth. On topic, I would wait and see what he brings to the table before getting worried. McFarlane Toys has always had high potential to do great things and back in the day they did some amazing stuff. I think they can do DC justice. 

I was thinking the same thing about him. He's been that way for at least the past year. He did not sound like that at all in the early Image days. I see no reason to be worried about the quality of these new 2020 DC figures. I'm sure that  if McFarlane completely misses the mark, DC will pull the license. I don't think it will go that far. Mcfarlane make good looking toys, and it would seem they finally figured out the tooling for decent articulation as well.

So here's my question. McFarlane is talking a 5-10 dollar price increase for his DC stuff, yet his 7" scale Fortnight figures retail for around 19.99. So why would smaller figures with less accessories, but comparable articulation, require an almost 50% price hike?

I have mixed feelings about this, mcfarlane toys has been uping their game with more articulated figures and I really hope they do good figures cause there is certainly potential for great figures there, but mcfarlane has had such a weird track record with their figures it just makes me uneasy, that being said I welcome the change, Ive been tired of Mattel's dc figures for years now it seemed like its been a couple years since mattel doesnt have much intrest in their collector lines (they do good things every once in a while but even with their updated molds and articulation it just seemed like the higher up people diddnt really care about those figures and it was happening mainly becuause of the efforts of the people who were working on them)