DC Comics Says Goodbye Mattel And Hello McFarlane Toys

JayC

6 hours ago, epyonofdeath said:

I can't wait for McFarlane  to shows what they can offer . I feel like Todd understands now what DC fans have been wanting out of their figures and what attracts people to figures today!! 

That's kind of a lot to read into what Todd's doing right now. I do agree that he probably realizes that the fragile statues he used to do won't fly in today's market and has upped his game accordingly, but for the rest we'll have to wit and see.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, mako said:

That's kind of a lot to read into what Todd's doing right now. I do agree that he probably realizes that the fragile statues he used to do won't fly in today's market and has upped his game accordingly, but for the rest we'll have to wit and see.

No after talking with Todd personally at Toy Fair I think epyonofdeath is dead on with his assessment. I am expecting 2020 to be a pretty good year for DC Comic figure fans.

2 hours ago, JayC said:

No after talking with Todd personally at Toy Fair I think epyonofdeath is dead on with his assessment. I am expecting 2020 to be a pretty good year for DC Comic figure fans.

Personally huh? Well see, here's the thing. Lots of people do lots of interviews with lots of other people about lots of things.

What NOBODY ever does is say in an interview: "I have no idea what I'm doing."

2 hours ago, mako said:

Personally huh? Well see, here's the thing. Lots of people do lots of interviews with lots of other people about lots of things.

Yeah a very long conversation. But your right in that we will have to wait and see to know for sure, but if you get highly detailed sculpted figures that McFarlane is known for doing with a highly talented comic book artist at the helm and you add in the articulation we are already seeing them do with Fortnite figures, I don't think its a stretch to think we will be getting some pretty cool stuff.

I’m optimistic but also not sure what to expect.  Do we think these figures while having some differences will still fit in with the Mattel stuff?  Are we thinking we’ll see a robust line of offerings with multiple waves or will it be like several other McF lines where there are only small Annual or 6 months wave assortments and then perhaps some store exclusive variants.  Do we think they’ll do a deep dive continuing to give us characters we’ve never/rarely had before in action figure form, or will they most stick to the characters everyone does over and over again (several variants of Batman, a Superman and Wonder Woman every so often, the bat family/rogues gallery, and the core JLA members—then repeat).  

I plan on picking up the Star Trek McFarlane Capt. Kirk figure to get an idea of what to expect. My fear is the articulation and quality of plastic. I haven't purchased and McFarlane in years but they were more statues than action figures. I am excited about McFarlane putting out Anime figures as well and hope they are in scale with the DC and Star Trek figures. I always wanted all my figures to be in scale with each other it's always been a pet peeve of mine. What's frustrating is that the figures have gradually gone from 6inch to 6.5inch and now 7inch figures. I'd prefer it if the toy industry that catered to collectors just stuck to one standard scale. 

On 2/28/2019 at 11:15 AM, mako said:

One thing that stood out for me in the interview was MacFarlane "finally" getting his head wrapped around the notion that people want great sculpts AND articulation...not statues.  Honestly I think he always knew that but just didn't care smh.  His deluxe Spawn is probably one of the best figs ever and was in high demand...but instead of following that theme we got more staction figures.  Since Fortnite is killing it for him I think we'll be on the right track with DC...but the make of break of it will be character selection.  If we come out of the gate with the Trinity and figs we already have from Mattel...I think it will push people away. Get some unmade characters out there!! In teh end 2020 is going to be interesting and hopefully we can see some sculpts of what's planned soon.

Todd said in the interview with Pixel Dan that he doesnt understand why people want ungly articulations on their figures... I hope that even in he doesnt understand, we want good super articulated figures. They were doing so well with thopse fortnite figures, but the next batch was pretty mehh, with less articulation and less painting.

• Like 1