MegaConstrux Masters Of The Universe Castle Grayskull Coming To Gamestop

JayC

Back in 2015 during the San Diego Comic Con Mattel showed off a Mega Blok Castle Grayskull playset which we never saw again, at least not until now.

Joining the MegaConstrux line is the Masters of the Universe: Castle Grayskull playset which will include 6 micro action figures: He-Man, Skeletor, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Beast Man, and the exclusive Sorceress. Unfortunately the He-Man and Battle Cat figures that was originally shown with the castle does not appear to be included.

The set will feature more than 3,600 pieces to recreate this authentically-detailed and completely faithful castle. Grayskull opens wide to reveal working weapons and launchers, a throne room with surprises, working elevator, and drawbridge that opens and closes.

They don't list size measurements so we don't know if the final version is going to be the same size as the one shown back in 2015.

The set is now up for pre-order at Gamestop for $249.99. Check out the digital render image from Gamestop as well as our images of the set that was on display during SDCC back in 2015.

MegaConstrux-Castle-Grayskull-06.thumb.jpg.540b5172f3268ce58b11d6f65250c598.jpg

MegaConstrux-Castle-Grayskull-01.jpg

MegaConstrux-Castle-Grayskull-02.jpg

MegaConstrux-Castle-Grayskull-03.jpg

MegaConstrux-Castle-Grayskull-04.jpg

MegaConstrux-Castle-Grayskull-05.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tato45 said:

That's way to expensive! 

It's not cheap but for a construction set that size it's not really that expensive by today's market. LEGO sets that size easily go for more.

• Like 2

• JayC changed the title to https://forums.toynewsi.com/forums/topic/2102554-megaconstrux-masters-of-the-universe-castle-grayskull-coming-to-gamestop/MegaConstrux Masters Of The Universe Castle Grayskull Coming To Gamestop

250 bucks?!? Yikes! Wasn't the Classics Castle Greyskull about the same price?

I really think that Mattel should wait until we actually have enough figures to go with this set. Right now, they've only given us 7 characters, and the MOTU character list is massive.

Plus... You're not LEGO, Mattel. I know this is a large set, but I still think $250 is a price that won't entice many collectors. After tax (and possible shipping) we're looking at almost $300 bucks for a set from a brand (MOTU) that Mattel has only (thus far) put a slight bit of effort behind in the Mega Construx line.

If they were slamming us with MOTU stuff-- like they do with HALO-- this set would make perfect sense. But, 7 little figures and a Wind Raider in a year doesn't give me confidence that Mattel will really do much with this line except offer us this over-priced set and dribble out a few more character (maybe).

There are too many other brands that keep me excited with constant, new product to drop $250 on this set-- and I have all the other MOTU Mega Construx stuff so far. Maybe this will be a must have for other MOTU fans. (Pixel Dan?)

7 hours ago, GrenadierStinny said:

250 bucks?!? Yikes! Wasn't the Classics Castle Greyskull about the same price?

I really think that Mattel should wait until we actually have enough figures to go with this set. Right now, they've only given us 7 characters, and the MOTU character list is massive.

Plus... You're not LEGO, Mattel. I know this is a large set, but I still think $250 is a price that won't entice many collectors. After tax (and possible shipping) we're looking at almost $300 bucks for a set from a brand (MOTU) that Mattel has only (thus far) put a slight bit of effort behind in the Mega Construx line.

If they were slamming us with MOTU stuff-- like they do with HALO-- this set would make perfect sense. But, 7 little figures and a Wind Raider in a year doesn't give me confidence that Mattel will really do much with this line except offer us this over-priced set and dribble out a few more character (maybe).

There are too many other brands that keep me excited with constant, new product to drop $250 on this set-- and I have all the other MOTU Mega Construx stuff so far. Maybe this will be a must have for other MOTU fans. (Pixel Dan?)

LOL, I think your missing the point. The popularity of HALO well dwarfs that of an old 80's toyline that your right is only going to really appeal to a handfull of adult action figure collectors and not kids at all. You are also right that I doubt they will end up tapping into the entire library of MOTU characters for this line and will focus on the main ones. I don't think the set is overpriced though when you look at other sets of this type on the market today. Mega Bloks which is what this is part of essentially has been around a long time, maybe not quit as long as LEGO but I don't get this line of thought I see often that if its not LEGO its a knock off or something. Like somehow if it had the LEGO name on it, then it would be worth $250...

That price is steep, but it is a beautiful and detailed setup. I remember owning the original Castle Greyskull from the 80s, the nostalgia is real. Not something I’m gonna pickup, but I can appreciate it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayC said:

LOL, I think your missing the point. The popularity of HALO well dwarfs that of an old 80's toyline that your right is only going to really appeal to a handfull of adult action figure collectors and not kids at all. You are also right that I doubt they will end up tapping into the entire library of MOTU characters for this line and will focus on the main ones. I don't think the set is overpriced though when you look at other sets of this type on the market today. Mega Bloks which is what this is part of essentially has been around a long time, maybe not quit as long as LEGO but I don't get this line of thought I see often that if its not LEGO its a knock off or something. Like somehow if it had the LEGO name on it, then it would be worth $250...

I'm not saying that it's absolutely not worth the price. I do think that LEGO has way more clout to put out a brick set at that price point than Mega Contrux does. LEGO's quality is just higher overall than any other brick company on the market in terms of the plastic used. And yes, the LEGO name does carry a certain weight, the same way Ferrari or Lamborghini does. A sports car is a sports car, but a Lamborghini  is a Lamborghini .

As with every collectible or toy, it's up to the individual to decide if they will pay what's being asked of them to get something. And I want a set like this to be successful because it can only lead to good things for the toy market and the nostalgia of 80's brands!

My other point was just to say that, if other collectors are like myself, they buy the MOTU Construx figures and say, "these little guys are cute and cool" and they take up 10" of space on one of my shelves. And then Mattel is like "oh, you like those 7 little characters we made for $5 each? Well, here, now buy this $250 playset for them!" It's like, "Whoa! Maybe we could build up to that! How about getting us pumped up a little before asking us to pull the trigger on such a HUGE leap with this license within the brand!"

I just would have liked to see a little more time and focus and a few smaller sets put into the brand before jumping all the to the "ultimate" set so soon. I'd be more inclined to want a Castle Grayskull for my Mega Construx COLLECTION (many figures and multiple vehicles) than for the 7 little figures I have.

I think if Mattel had collectors investing in this line with more figures and more smaller sets like the Wind Raider, they would probably have fans wanting (and maybe demanding) that they give them a Castle Graysull. I just think the timing is off for this large and expensive set to be coming so soon and with so little focus being spent on the brand within the line at this point.

All that being said-- I LOVE ya, Jay. Been following you forever and I appreciate all of your hard work and love for toys!

• 2 weeks later...

The MegaConstrux Masters of the Universe: Castle Grayskull playset is now available for pre-order at BigBadToyStore. The set which will feature more than 3,600 pieces to recreate this authentically-detailed and completely faithful castle. Grayskull opens wide to reveal working weapons and launchers, a throne room with surprises, working elevator, and drawbridge that opens and closes. Check out images of the version Mattel showed off during the 2015 SDCC convention down below.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:40 AM, JayC said:

I would be careful saying that the popularity of Halo dwarfs MOTU as a blanket statement. You could be specific by saying "with this generation" - but as a whole, I would challenge you on that statement. There's a reason everything is turning up 80s right now. It's because the kids of the 80s are not front and center as adults, and the market knows that we run the show and we are the one that have the cash flow at the moment. I would argue that MOTU dwarfs HALO by a landslide if we look at the overall stats and not just where MOTU sits within pop culture. Even at that, with the new documentaries on Netflix, and shows like The Toys That Made Us, there's an increased awareness of who MOTU is, and the nostalgic wave that the current gen is being exposed to with movies like Ready Player One, you'd be surprised at how many youth are in the know of who He-man is and how quickly they are becoming attached. Top that off with the fact that the 80s kids are now watching MOTU on Saturdays with their kids and handing down the mantle - I feel like MOTU has a really big chance at being revived, not even rebooted. 

All that aside, $240 for 3600pcs works out to .06 cents a brick. That's literally half of what LEGO charges for the Millennium Falcon. I feel like a company that "not LEGO" charging half of what the main brand charges seems more than on point, especially for what they are offering. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Wind Raider - which my 6yr old son picked out and assembled himself, btw. Let's not forget that the MOTU empire was built from the ground up, with only a toy line that had zero backstory, all by marketing to an audience of 5yr olds who had to beg their parents for these toys. Now, you have 5yr olds coming around to MOTU that are equally as excited to buy, but instead of begging their parents to buy, they are backed by parents who let nostalgic reasoning dictate the money in their wallet. Sounds to me like Mattel knows exactly what they're doing.

8 hours ago, Coreyharmon said:

I would be careful saying that the popularity of Halo dwarfs MOTU as a blanket statement. You could be specific by saying "with this generation" - but as a whole, I would challenge you on that statement. There's a reason everything is turning up 80s right now. It's because the kids of the 80s are not front and center as adults, and the market knows that we run the show and we are the one that have the cash flow at the moment. I would argue that MOTU dwarfs HALO by a landslide if we look at the overall stats and not just where MOTU sits within pop culture. Even at that, with the new documentaries on Netflix, and shows like The Toys That Made Us, there's an increased awareness of who MOTU is, and the nostalgic wave that the current gen is being exposed to with movies like Ready Player One, you'd be surprised at how many youth are in the know of who He-man is and how quickly they are becoming attached. Top that off with the fact that the 80s kids are now watching MOTU on Saturdays with their kids and handing down the mantle - I feel like MOTU has a really big chance at being revived, not even rebooted. 

All that aside, $240 for 3600pcs works out to .06 cents a brick. That's literally half of what LEGO charges for the Millennium Falcon. I feel like a company that "not LEGO" charging half of what the main brand charges seems more than on point, especially for what they are offering. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Wind Raider - which my 6yr old son picked out and assembled himself, btw. Let's not forget that the MOTU empire was built from the ground up, with only a toy line that had zero backstory, all by marketing to an audience of 5yr olds who had to beg their parents for these toys. Now, you have 5yr olds coming around to MOTU that are equally as excited to buy, but instead of begging their parents to buy, they are backed by parents who let nostalgic reasoning dictate the money in their wallet. Sounds to me like Mattel knows exactly what they're doing.

Im referring to today's market and yes I stand by my statement.

• 4 years later...

First toy that I remember opening the package for was Man at Arms in 1982. Best gift ever, not knowing what he was or where he was from, no comic books that sold the ideas, Masters of The Universe, my imagination went crazy. In my opinion nothing that Halo did will compare to this, love Halo, different set of boundaries though. I bought Grayskull when it was announced and I loved building it with my kiddos and grandkids, I can download any FPS and get them a set of knockoff with no imagination behind it. Just my opinion. And the price for the size alone and when it is complete, it's different honestly. Halo giws through Eternia in the end 😂. Have a great day everyone