'Aquaman' Spinoff 'The Trench' Being Developed By Warner Bros.

Outsiders

THR is reporting that Warner Bros. is looking to do a spinoff from the Aquaman movie and have hired newbie scribes Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald to pen a horror-tinged script centered on the Trench, the deadly amphibious creatures seen attacking the hero and his love, Mera, in Aquaman.  Details about the plot are being kept secret but it will be set in the kingdom of the Trench and will not feature the main cast of Aquaman.

The Trench creatures are new to the Aquaman lore, having been introduced in the comics only in 2011 when DC did a revamp of its entire publishing line. They are revealed to be part of the kingdom of Atlantis but when it sunk, inhabitants who were cut off from other survivors and evolved into ravenous monsters.

The project, titled The Trench will be produced by James Wan and Peter Safran and will be more modestly budgeted than the normal DC superhero tentpole.

The-Trench.jpg

I am intrigued, albeit mildly... And I say that not having yet seen Aquaman. But, this kind of smells of the same kind of missteps WB has already made, in the past. Something works out for them, they try to pillage and exploit that concept ad nauseam. Something doesn’t work, they immediately shelve it and go back to square one. Maybe they ought to be a little less reactionary, and actually get somebody involved who isn’t completely tone deaf — if their streaming series Titans is any indication — and actually knows a thing or two about how to represent and utilize these properties.

• Like 1

This just feels like WB trying to capitalize on the success of Aquaman and going to town. Personally, I haven't seen Aquaman yet so I don't know if it worked but I felt including "The Trench"  was too much on a movie that already had two villains.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would have said it would never happen, but now that we are getting a Joker movie outside of continuity anything is possible.  Could be fun.