Next Suicide Squad Movie To Be More Of A Relaunch Than Sequel With Mostly A New Cast

JayC

According to THR, the next Suicide Squad movie which is being written and likely directed by ex-Guardian Of The Galaxy director James Gunn will be released in 2021 and is expected to be more of a relaunch with mostly all-new cast, than a sequel to the 2016 movie. The title for this one is simply "The Suicide Squad", which will take the franchise into an all-new direction with more of a Guardians of the Galaxy feel to it. In other words, Warner Bros. seems to be moving more and more away from their previously established Snyder DCverse. This would be in keeping with the other recent big DC movie news about the next Batman movie featuring a younger Bruce Wayne and no longer having Ben Affleck in the role of the capped crusader.

If they land James Gunn, and keep Margot Robbie, I’ll have little to really complain about this one, methinks.

James Gunn is definitely a good get for WB. Now that they’ve at least established their cinematic universe (by slamming it together), they can start developing it and creating a more streamlined direction.

EFDC5D54-A73F-418C-8BA3-89C44054A3E4.jpeg

I'm still annoyed at DC's dark overtones. Although I think SS deserves it. Another thing is that they don't stick to the character. Aquaman was OK but he wasn't Aquaman! Yet Mera & Oceanmaster seemed to be portrayed correctly.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:05 PM, Goldbug said:

I'm still annoyed at DC's dark overtones. Although I think SS deserves it. Another thing is that they don't stick to the character. Aquaman was OK but he wasn't Aquaman! Yet Mera & Oceanmaster seemed to be portrayed correctly.

They've frequently, but not in every case, hired people who don't understand the characters.  Ayer approached Suicide Squad with a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of Task Force X, and Suicide Squad's problems spiraled from there.  James Gunn understands comics.  I'd be surprised if he tried to turn a bunch of villains into heroes or have them save the world or make Killer Croc into a ridiculous black stereotype.  He also gets dark humor (for movies, at least) better than most filmmakers out there, so while I expect jokes, I'm not terribly concerned about the tone. Walter Hamada also doesn't seem like the type to try to meddle with his filmmakers, so this could be great.