'The Batman' Set For Summer 2021; Ben Affleck Will Not Play Batman

Outsiders

Warner Bros. is taking the next Batman movie in a new direction which will not be including Ben Affleck.  The next Batman movie has been set for June 25th, 2021 and will be focusing on a younger Bruce Wayne.  A search is underway for a new Dark Knight.

Affleck confirmed the original report by Deadline via Twitter with the message:

Excited for #TheBatman in Summer 2021 and to see @MattReevesLA vision come to life.

Matt Reeves has been attached to the project as both a writer and director in February 2017, taking over for Affleck who was originally set to direct off a script he wrote with DC’s Geoff Johns.  Sources have confirmed that the new Batman movie will not be based on Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One comic which is one of Reeves’ favorites in the Caped Crusader canon.

Affleck was not a bad Batman, he definitely showed a lot of potential. It’s unfortunate that WB is trying throw the DCEU together with no plan and not try to build it up like Marvel Studios did. Wonder Woman shows they can make a quality film, but they are struggling to make a cinematic universe because they refused to earn and develop it.

I think some of the senior actors are seeing the disorganized nature of the planning and are not prepared for the deep investment of acting a role in a cinematic universe, usually 5-10 yrs. Can’t say I blame them. If they committed to a character role like that, they may have to pass up other projects.

Hopefully this is a turning point, I would like to see DCEU have more hits than misses.

I agree. While Affleck wasn't bad, what is even worse about this news is the idea of starting over with a young Batman discarding things like the Batman vs Deathstroke that was teased at the end of JL. I have yet to see Aquaman but honestly I have lost all interest in these DCU movies that seem to be all over the place with no cohesive plan. It's like they are just trying to throw anything they can think of against the wall and hopping it sticks.

• Like 1

I also am disappointed to hear this.  What I would really hope would happen is that WB would come back at some point and let Ben Affleck do his original Batman script on his own, not connected to Reeves's movie, like the Phoenix Joker movie is separate.  Nerd wishful thinking, perhaps.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have so much love and respect for Affleck as a film maker and an actor.  So sad we won’t see more of him as Batman.  But the role is bigger than anyone person so I’m gonna give the next guy a fair shot.

I thought Affleck was a great Batman despite the bad movies. He inherited the role very well and even looks like the DCAU Bruce/Wayne Batman. Its just the writing and poor planning by WB and DC that caused the recent films to fail like everyone said.

i have no idea why they are making a Joker origin movie with Fenix, suicide squad without Harley, a sidestory for The Trench, then continuing with an Aquaman and Wonderwoman sequal. Its all over the place with no aligned continuity and makes me hate being a DC fan...

also... why bother with making a whole bunch of TV series’ that fans actually enjoy, then disregard them by putting them in a seperate universe than the movies? It would have been a great way for DC to introduce Batman/Superman/Wonderwoman via movies to the TV Universe and then work in Flash and Arrow!!