Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JayC

New DC Primal Age Figures Coming From Funko

Recommended Posts

Funko at the London Toy Fair announced a new batch of DC Comics Primal Age figures which includes Krypto, Superman, Bizarro, Flash, Lex Luthor and Black Manta. These figures are currently available for pre-order at BigBadToyStore.com.
1 of 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nostalgia driven gimmick line inspired by a nearly 40 year-old franchise, produced by a 3rd tier toy company; yet I can handily find these at any Target in my area. Yet DC Multiverse is an adult collector driven line produced (for now) by one of the industry's top two companies (again, for now), and I'm lucky if I see one of these maybe two or three times a year.

This a weird hobby.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mako said:

A nostalgia driven gimmick line inspired by a nearly 40 year-old franchise, produced by a 3rd tier toy company; yet I can handily find these at any Target in my area. Yet DC Multiverse is an adult collector driven line produced (for now) by one of the industry's top two companies (again, for now), and I'm lucky if I see one of these maybe two or three times a year.

This a weird hobby.

I have definitely shared in your pain several times in the past. It always seems like the series you want is either never released or delayed in your area. The hobby gods are cruel and unusual.

It’s a cool concept, it just hasn’t been applied to a property that I’d been willing to pay for yet. Hopefully it continues to have some success and they can explore other licenses. Would not be opposed to Thanos with a MOTU Fisto inspired Infinity Gauntlet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mako said:

A nostalgia driven gimmick line inspired by a nearly 40 year-old franchise, produced by a 3rd tier toy company; yet I can handily find these at any Target in my area. Yet DC Multiverse is an adult collector driven line produced (for now) by one of the industry's top two companies (again, for now), and I'm lucky if I see one of these maybe two or three times a year.

This a weird hobby.

Well to be fair the Funko figures literally just started hitting Target stores this week so not surprised  you haven't seen them there yet. I don't however think unless Target carries them in very limited numbers will have a hard time finding them. The thing with these on both counts, is not that these figures are flying off the shelves in huge numbers, its stores are choosing to carry them if at all in very limited numbers likely because they don't want them warming the pegs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JayC said:

Well to be fair the Funko figures literally just started hitting Target stores this week so not surprised  you haven't seen them there yet. I don't however think unless Target carries them in very limited numbers will have a hard time finding them. The thing with these on both counts, is not that these figures are flying off the shelves in huge numbers, its stores are choosing to carry them if at all in very limited numbers likely because they don't want them warming the pegs.

No, that's what I'm saying. I've found this line at all three of my area Targets, that includes the Batcave playest . . . in an endcap display no less.

I just wish two things 1) Whatever vitamins Funko is taking, they would give Mattel some. And 2) Funko could put some of this effort into releasing more Legacy figures.

For that matter, if this is the way they role, I kinda wish Funko could've scored that action toy license from DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mako said:

No, that's what I'm saying. I've found this line at all three of my area Targets, that includes the Batcave playest . . . in an endcap display no less.

I just wish two things 1) Whatever vitamins Funko is taking, they would give Mattel some. And 2) Funko could put some of this effort into releasing more Legacy figures.

For that matter, if this is the way they role, I kinda wish Funko could've scored that action toy license from DC.

Ah well thats not surprising, and Funko isn't really 3rd tier toy company. They have far larger distribution channels at more major retailers for their products than Mattel does these days. Funko POP Vinyl figures are everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw an endcap at my Target dedicated to the DC Primal Age stuff, even T-shirts. Yeah, Funko is fast becoming or has become a major name, Funko Pops alone have more shelf space than action figures and other toys.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JayC said:

Ah well thats not surprising, and Funko isn't really 3rd tier toy company. They have far larger distribution channels at more major retailers for their products than Mattel does these days. Funko POP Vinyl figures are everywhere.

My scale goes like this:

Tier 1: Hasbro and Mattel. Top of the industry, been around forever, handled (or still handling) the biggest licenses as well as in-house stuff. Basically, if you collect toys or your parents ever bought you a toy, chances are it was from one of these two.

Tier 2: Bandai America and Playmates. They've been around for awhile, handled some popular licenses, but are mostly known for one or two. If they lose those, most of their corporate identity and brand recognition is out the door.

Tier 3: Funko, Neca, etc. Smaller companies mostly dealing with niche offerings and licenses the big dogs might consider unworthy/unprofitable. They have their loyal supporters, but nowhere near the numbers or recognition Tier 1 or 2 command.

Basically, where Hasbro Playmates and Mattel can command entire isles, you basically find these guys by the cigarette register at Walmart beside the "Magic" cards, or at Target along the back wall behind the cell phone cases and fanny packs along with the adult coloring books.

Don't get me wrong, they make great stuff, and I wished they could command a better position in the market; but it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like they've got a black and gray version of the Batman coming as a Target exclusive too. It's a shame that version wasn't the standard release version. The closest Target is a long way from where I live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested to see what these look like in person. I've never seen them at retail, but if they look good in hand I might pick them up. I really enjoyed the Funko Thundercats wave last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...






Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE