Art Marcum & Matt Holloway To Write New 'MOTU' Draft For Sony & Mattel Films

Outsiders

Sony and Mattel are attempting to bring "Masters of the Universe" to theaters again and are in final talks with writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway.  Adam Aaron Nee has been tapped to direct the project with David S. Goyer as an executive producer.  Escape Artists’ Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch, as well as DeVon Franklin are producing.

The project is based on the bestselling He-Man toyline from the 1980s that  spawned an animated TV show and a 1987 feature from Cannon Films starring Dolph Lundgren.

Source: Deadline

When I was a kid, I loved the 80s He-Man, but I just don’t know if MOTU can be translated into a “good” live action film while be relatively faithful to the source material. I want them to succeed, but I am not getting my hopes up.

At least they kept this 80s property out of the hands of Michael Bay. It would have been loaded with explosions, had Teela played by Megan Fox, Orko portraying some weird stereotypes, and so on.

Iam still hopeful for a decent He-Man movie. Just want it to be as close to the sore material as possible. Nothing SJW, nothing "grounded" and close to reality.  I wan a bad ass He-Man movie. Aquaman for a long time was one of the most mocked (and not fairly so) characters in DC Comics. Yet they managed to make an amazing movie, even better than Batman and Superman. 

If they can actually get this thing together, and do it as well as I’ve heard the Bumblebee movie was handled, there should be no problem... But, they’ve been trying to get a MOTU movie going for quite a while now, as it is. So, I won’t be holding my breath any time soon.

As much as I enjoyed He-Man as a kid, I feel is one of those franchises that's going to be very difficult to translate to the big screen. Can they successfully adapt it to the big screen ? It's possible  How much will they have to change from the source material in order to translate it to movie form? Will the fans who grew up with that series accept those changes? Will the casual moviegoer with little to no knowledge of Masters of the Universe care about the movie enough to generate the box office numbers that studio execs seem to care so much about nowadays? I think having David Goyer involved is not a step in the right direction but we'll see.