Toys R' Us Returns As Geoffrey's Toy Box Which Is Literally A Box

JayC

The other month we told you how Toy's R' Us was planning on making it's return after closing all it's stores earlier this year and that they had re-branded themselves as Geoffrey's Toy Box. While we knew the plan at least starting this year was to open a number of pop-up stores within larger retail outlets that don't normally sell a huge amount of toys, and that the retailer would be somewhere in the midwest, we were expecting something a little bigger than this...

So apparently the midwest retailer Toys R' Us or Geoffrey I should say has teamed up with is the grocery chain Krogers. You can see from the image above that its less of a store and more of an actual box placed in one of the store isles though. It's unclear if Geoffrey will have a larger presence in some stores over other or if they will show up at any other retailers, but based on this image the comeback seems less than stellar here.

1 of 1

Well that makes me sad. Its almost better that he be dead and buried than such a shell of itself. Truly sad times. It looks like that old friend you used to know as a kid and now you see him peddling on the streets asking for donations. :( 

• Like 1

Disappointing, but its a start.

If nothing else, it'll be something beyond a killer sushi/salad bar to entice me to run into my local Kroger's Marketplace (kind of a Krogers equivalent of Super Walmart... except it doesn't suck).

Yeah they took the toybox thing too seriously . As I can see here it will be only toys for kids. So don't expect to find collectibles or even marvel legends or black series. 

I agree with some of you that given the situation they should have stayed as they were. 

I've been told though nothing officially confirmed that they are looking to possibly reopen some of their older stores that they do still own. Have no idea on a timetable but indications are we could see something more than this.

If true, this is probably just a place holder they can do quick and easy so they can get something out for the holidays. This time of year is the toy industries most important time for sales, so its critical for them to be out there though honestly I would think they could do better than this. I've been in Krogers before and they generally have a better toy aisle better than this around the holidays.

This is a small, but good sign I think.  After the liquidation and the latest announcement, this is a fair turnaround, and something that is probably sustainable for the time being.  Based on how the last iteration ended, it will probably be a little while before a larger store opens.  I was thinking these types of displays and end caps will move to small to medium sized drugstores (I'm on the east coast here so maybe Wallgreens, Kinney, CVS).  The next phase might be toy isles in stores that are a good fit (Party City, Kohls).  Maybe though, after that, we will see full brick and mortar type stores. 

This seems like such an odd thing. Just let the brand die. This seems almost embarrassingly pathetic. A very small selection of toys only directed at kids in a super small quantity? Let's hope KB Toys comes back with a bit more gusto. 

It's... just... a... box. I did one of those incredulous short laugh things at that, what can I say? Although, honestly, if they expanded this out to include action figures and included Ralphs (Kroger's West Coast version), then I'd be glad for that. I'd love the chance to pick up a Marvel Legend or Black Series along with my groceries! ?

• 3 weeks later...