WWE Ronda Rousey series 90 from Mattel

alternativemindz

Rowdy Ronda Rousey makes her debut as a standard figure in the newest wave of Mattel's WWE basic line as part of series 90.

First off, thank you to Mattel for the review sample.

How does this figure stand up against the person it is trying to emulate in plastic form?

Let's first look at the packaging, which for some odd reason seems to be different for the line this time around.  Nothing super obvious, but it feels more streamlined than previous waves. But, that could just be me? 

The image of Ronda is great and the way she is packaged really gives the impression of importance (I'm really not trying to fluff this piece), but I honestly think the new packaging (if it actually is new) helps to make the figure stand out.

Now, with that all said and done, let's talk about the figure itself.
It is a basic and standard figure that is fully-clothed, leaving Ronda without her signature wrestling gear. With that in mind,  I wish she would have come packed with Rowdy Piper’s oversized jacket, but it might be possible we will see something like that in an entrance package figure later on.

Points of articulation: this is as standard as it can be with this line.
Head kind of turns, but is hindered by her hair. Waist, elbow, knee, hip, and shoulder joints, pretty good but nothing stand out.

I believe this figure will sell well for two reasons. One, for the customizers who are looking for an affordable women's body buck to make their own figures, this figure works well. Two, this is our first chance to collect Ronda as a toy. Unfortunately, her face sculpt is super generic and not enough that you would automatically say “Hey, that’s Ronda.” But, once again, this body buck can be used for almost any female character. 

If you look, you can see they painted over someone else’s ring gear. Even so, it's a good reuse of parts. But as it goes for it being Ronda, well, it will do and this line is the most affordable standard line for wrestling toys to date.

Good, solid, and durable, but if you are a collector this is currently your best and only option for getting Ronda in the ring with other female icons of wrestling.

She is a 3 out of 5, but since I believe Ronda would roundhouse kick me if I keep talking, I'll leave it at that. 

Guys let us know what you think and leave a comment below

Follow Rob on Instagram @alternativemindz 
And on Twitter @AltMindz

Thanks again to Mattel for the review sample

20181017_194147.jpg

20181024_222542.jpg

20181024_222553.jpg

20181024_222621.jpg

20181024_222610.jpg

20181024_222527.jpg

20181024_222610.jpg

20181017_193944.jpg

20181017_193145.jpg

20181017_193559.jpg

20181017_193915.jpg

20181017_193934.jpg

20181017_193929.jpg

• Like 1

I’m not really into wrestling anymore, but I love the (Rowdy Roddy) throwback style incorporated into her look. The likeness isn’t perfect, as you pointed out. But, I don’t think it’s horrible, either. I dunno, I might just be tempted to pick this figure up, if I see her anywhere. Thanks for the review!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I’m not really into wrestling anymore, but I love the (Rowdy Roddy) throwback style incorporated into her look. The likeness isn’t perfect, as you pointed out. But, I don’t think it’s horrible, either. I dunno, I might just be tempted to pick this figure up, if I see her anywhere. Thanks for the review!

Thank you, no for a basic figure she is just fine.  This series isn't meant to be a high end collectable but there is something a bit off about her face.

• Like 1

Super-selective about the WWE figures I get, usually only the "theme waves" (Monsters, Mutants, Zombies, etc.), or the rare basic figures that fit into a more 6" scale (Bayley, AJ Lee, etc.), but this one went straight to the top of my list as soon as it was announced.

• Thanks 1

The likeness is alright for the price point, I suppose. I could tell who it was supposed to be, but it isn't perfect. Enough of a likeness for what it is. Something about the rest of the proportions aren't doing the figure any favors, but maybe that's the aesthetic they're going for.