'Wonder Woman 1984' Delayed Until Summer Of 2020

Outsiders

Warner Bros. has decided to hold off on the release of Wonder Woman 1984 until the Summer of 2020.  The news was also confirmed by Wonder Woman 1984 star Gal Gadot via Twitter

"Super excited to announce that, thanks to the changing landscape, we are able to put Wonder Woman back to its rightful home. June 5, 2020. Be there or be square!!!"

“We had tremendous success releasing the first Wonder Woman film during the summer so when we saw an opportunity to take advantage of the changing competitive landscape, we did,” Warner Bros. said in a statement. “This move lands the film exactly where it belongs.”

Wonder Woman 1984” will be helmed by acclaimed director Patty Jenkins, and star Gal Gadot in the title role. As previously announced, the film also stars Kristen Wiig in the role of the Super-Villain The Cheetah, as well as Pedro Pascal. And Chris Pine returns as Steve Trevor.

Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder, Zack Snyder, Patty Jenkins, Stephen Jones and Gal Gadot are producing the film. Rebecca Roven Oakley, Richard Suckle, Wesley Coller, Geoff Johns and Walter Hamada are the executive producers.

Production will take place in Washington, D.C., Alexandria, Virginia, and in the UK, Spain and the Canary Islands.

WW84-Delay.jpg

Well just as the netflix cancelations, I'd be lying if I said I was surprised, even with the success WW had the Warner DC Movie universe is a mess as a whole, it's only reasonable Even their ONE successfull franchise suffers with everything thats been going on backstage. Flash being put on hold, WW pushed back, the cancelation of other projects, the apparent now almost confirmed exit of Henry Cavill as Superman and Ben Affleck as Batman, its just one thing after another with DC.

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

"Super excited to announce that, thanks to the changing landscape, we are able to put Wonder Woman back to its rightful home. June 5, 2020. Be there or be square!!!"

“We had tremendous success releasing the first Wonder Woman film during the summer so when we saw an opportunity to take advantage of the changing competitive landscape, we did,” Warner Bros. said in a statement. “This move lands the film exactly where it belongs.”

This sentence is very weird "thanks to the changing landscape, we are able to put Wonder Woman back to its rightful home"

Like I said in my post on the DCEU thread  I wonder what she means

4 hours ago, FASVB said:

This sentence is very weird "thanks to the changing landscape, we are able to put Wonder Woman back to its rightful home"

It means nothing.  God bless her, she's just trying to put a positive spin on something that completely stinks.  No one cares if the release date for the sequel is on the anniversary of the release date for the original.

I'm reading some speculation that since Joker is coming out next year that WB doesn't want to compete with itself.  Ask Marvel how to "not compete with itself" when they successfully release 3+ movies per year. Add it to the list of things WB could learn from them, including "How to have a plan for your two biggest characters" and "How to get the sequel to your one good movie out on time".

I've done a lot of criticizing of the handling of the DC movies in the past but stoped just short of calling for them to pull the plug, now I'll say it:  Just give it up WB.  Wonder Woman was your best effort by far and even her sequel is falling victim to your mismanagement.  Just end it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FASVB said:

I think she means that she’s happy the movie will be coming out around the same time as the first one did — summer. Since that probably played into why the first one was so successful.

Well, that, and the fact that it was actually good.

I’m going to try not to worry about this... Not every scenario — even if it is under the management of the Brothers Warner — definitively necessitates Chicken Little-ing. I’m going to be keeping my fingers crossed that the extra time they need to finish the flick, makes it all the more spot on, in the end.

30 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

I think she means that she’s happy the movie will be coming out around the same time as the first one did — summer. Since that probably played into why the first one was so successful.

Well, that, and the fact that it was actually good.

Idk, sounds strange. 

• 7 months later...

Warner Bros has announced they won't be holding a Hall H panel at this years San Diego Comic Con but they have released this new poster for Wonder Woman 84 which feature Gal Godot in a new out fit.The marketing campaign for the movie ramps up in December which opens in theater on June 5, 2020.

WW84.jpg

• Like 1

It seems like a mash between the Kingdom come armour and the new 52 David finch armour. I am also sure she will don this to go against the Cheetah because her claws will leave marks on her. I want a less colourful photo to actually see what it looks like. A helmet and wings like KC would be awesome.

There was an interview with Patty Jenkins recently where she said she now wished they hadn't pushed the film back. They've done a test screening so the movie is pretty close to complete anyway. Now they'll be sitting on the finished product waiting for release. 

23 minutes ago, Thinwheat said:

There was an interview with Patty Jenkins recently where she said she now wished they hadn't pushed the film back. They've done a test screening so the movie is pretty close to complete anyway. Now they'll be sitting on the finished product waiting for release. 

The whole DCU is such a mess right now and honestly I dont think they still no what they want to do. I've heard rumors like there will be two different universes going on in the various movies and such. By the time they are done it will be so confusing and know one will care anymore that it wont matter 😕

On 6/7/2019 at 10:58 AM, JayC said:

The whole DCU is such a mess right now and honestly I dont think they still no what they want to do. I've heard rumors like there will be two different universes going on in the various movies and such. By the time they are done it will be so confusing and know one will care anymore that it wont matter 😕

Who knows? I'm still optimistic myself. We'll see. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, JayC said:

They are just gonna keep them independent. Less tie ins going forward while exploring elseworld too. The main universe will be there but more elseworld focused stories.  I don't know if that will work for them or not but if they produce movies like Shazam and Wonder Woman, they just might make good money. Joker is R rated but most of the people will either love it or hate it and end up comparing it to Heath's performance in any case. Because that's what most people do here.