Jump to content
sXeblues

Doctor Who Series 11 - Any Whovians in the House?

Recommended Posts

Curious to know if there are any Doctor Who fans on the forums... I got into Doctor Who circa the return of the series in 2005. After which, I realized I had vague memories of watching the Fourth Doctor as a kid, with my mom, which led me to begin perusing and collecting many of the Classic Series dvds, all the while the Modern episodes continued to keep me transfixed.

Fast-forward to Series 6, and I’d begun reviewing modern series episodes on my Youtube channel. As well as posted other Doctor Who themed discussions, like my votes for Great Companions that Never Were in the history of the series, and discussions of a few of the Big Finish audio plays.

With the debut of Jodie Whittaker in the most current, Eleventh Series — airing right now — I was just as excited, if not even more so, to see what the future beheld for the Doctor, her companions in time and space, and the Whovian community, at large. And, I’m happy to say, just two episodes in, as of this posting, that they have thoroughly delivered, and then some.

Below are my latest discussions of the first two Series Eleven episodes, ‘The Woman Who Fell to Earth’, and ‘The Ghost Monument’, respectively. Please check ‘em out, if you so desire, and share your thoughts on the series, Classic and Modern alike, below!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CorpseSChris said:

I'm a longtime Who fan. It is my main collecting focus.

That’s pretty cool... I wish I could say it was my main collecting focus, but stateside, unfortunately Doctor Who product isn’t so easy to come by. But, I’ve managed to get my hands on, or been gifted, several figures over the years. Including the Eleven Doctors figure set — which was something of a ‘holy grail’ for me when it debuted — as well as the Twelfth Doctor’s ‘Flight Control’ TARDIS. I basically figured, as long as I can have figure representations of all of the Doctors, even if that was all I managed to get, I’d be happy. Thankfully, I’ve also got a few of the modern series companions, as well. But man, if they were more readily available, and affordable, I’d probably have an entire room full of DW figures and collectibles, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an older pic of my collection. Since I did this pic (just over 5 years ago), I've also added the Pyramids of Mars Rocket Pack and 3-pack sets, the 4th Doctor Collector Set 3-pack, Companions 5-pack, Impossible Girl 2-pack, , 12th Doctor, War Doctor, Dalek Scientist the Heavy Weapons Dalek, plus 2 3 3/4" Dalek packs & Amy Pond. I really do miss the Hastings stores.

 

And yes, that is a Dapol Cyberman down in front.

Dr. Who Collection.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a Dr. Who fan since I first saw Tom Baker playing the role and fighting the Daleks way back in the '80's. He was my favorite Doctor until David Tennant came along.

So far I'm loving Jodie Whittaker in the role. She actually reminds me a bit of Tom Baker's style of playing the Doctor.

Sadly I've never been able to collect much in the way of figures or such. I do have a "sonic screwdriver", although I guess any "Whovian" has to have one.

Here's hoping the new iteration of the Doctor continues her great start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 10:44 PM, jedicrippler said:

This is an older pic of my collection. Since I did this pic (just over 5 years ago), I've also added the Pyramids of Mars Rocket Pack and 3-pack sets, the 4th Doctor Collector Set 3-pack, Companions 5-pack, Impossible Girl 2-pack, , 12th Doctor, War Doctor, Dalek Scientist the Heavy Weapons Dalek, plus 2 3 3/4" Dalek packs & Amy Pond. I really do miss the Hastings stores.

 

And yes, that is a Dapol Cyberman down in front.

Dr. Who Collection.jpg

That is an awesome collection, indeed. The photo attached below, (taken from a figure collection video I have up on my Youtube channel), comprises pretty much all of my figures, sans a ‘Figurine Collection’ Cyber Controller, a couple of ‘TARDIS Money Banks’ (one of which I gifted to my sister), and one each of the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor’s sonics.

I’m most envious of a lot of those classic companion figures. Ace, Peri, Leela, the Brigadier, as well as a few of the modern ones, like Astrid, Jack, and not technically a companion, Jabe.

Good stuff, man. Thanks for sharing! ?

1D5A4ECD-8227-4757-ACD8-3BF811ABC2E1.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, lazrod said:

I've been a Dr. Who fan since I first saw Tom Baker playing the role and fighting the Daleks way back in the '80's. He was my favorite Doctor until David Tennant came along.

So far I'm loving Jodie Whittaker in the role. She actually reminds me a bit of Tom Baker's style of playing the Doctor.

Sadly I've never been able to collect much in the way of figures or such. I do have a "sonic screwdriver", although I guess any "Whovian" has to have one.

Here's hoping the new iteration of the Doctor continues her great start.

My first technical introduction to Doctor Who came from when I was a kid, watching some of those Tom Baker serials with my mom. Though, I’d been so young at the time, I barely remembered it when the show came back in 2005. Watching those initial Modern Series episodes jogged my memory a little bit, and as soon as that initial series ended, and David Tennant took over the role, I went crazy for the next few years collecting a lot of Classic Series dvds, lol.

I’ve really been reminded of Baker, watching Jodie thus far, as well. I think she’s all but nailed the part, from right out of the gate.

Even as I lament the lack of being able to readily find Doctor Who merch, especially these days, I have to acknowledge that I’ve been extremely fortunate to have found, or been gifted, the figures and collectibles that I have. Most of which came from friends, and/or my sister.

But yea, I’m really hoping Series 11 continues with the quality and performances we’ve gotten thus far, in its first three episodes. (The third one of which, ‘Rosa’, was actually pretty amazing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CorpseSChris said:

A few of my figures 

20181024_093636.jpg

These are from your personal collection? It almost looks like product as you’d see it displayed in-store. I follow a guy on Youtube that has a whole store display-like set-up of Star Wars figures that looks very similar. It’s pretty cool. I’m totally an opener, though. Apart from when my collection is stored away, I have to have them open so I can play with and display’em that way, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, those are mine.  I bought a store display rack at a thrift store,  which I have a lot of my packaged figures on. It has four sides and is on wheels. 

I have a lot of loose figures as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CorpseSChris said:

Yes, those are mine.  I bought a store display rack at a thrift store,  which I have a lot of my packaged figures on. It has four sides and is on wheels. 

I have a lot of loose figures as well.

That’s pretty dope. I dig it. Do you pick and choose what you’ll open and what you’ll keep sealed, or pick up more than one of a given figure, so you can do it both ways?

Usually funds and figure availability keep me from being able to pick up multiples — just in general toy collecting, lest we’re talking about DW figures. But, on rare occasions I’ve picked up two of a given figure for that purpose; One to have out, one to put away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually only open one if I have two. I also buy loose figures,  so some I have loose but not a packaged version.

I buy in lots when I can, selling or trading off duplicates to offset the cost a bit. Otherwise,  it is taking advantage of sales and waiting for the right price. 

20180818_225435.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ If I had the funds, I’d probably venture to doing that, myself... Picking up figures by lot, that is to say. It’s really not in my budget though, sadly.

I’m pretty dang envious of all of those Cybermen, though. In all my years collecting DW figures, I’ve yet to land myself a single Cyberman figure, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember watching Tom Baker's episodes on PBS when I was young and they cut off right in the middle of one of the serial eps and didn't show the finale, ugh. Can't recall which one anymore, just remember how annoying it was to not know how it was going to end! Oh and I remember being upset when Leela left.

Then, in similar fashion, I picked back up with the show in 2005, though I actually hadn't realized it was on until I started seeing fanvids for it popping up (and they say vids aren't good promotion ?). That kicked off a total obsession with the show that resulted in me buying a ton of DVDs and merchandise. I didn't have a lot of luck finding many figures at that time, though, but I did eventually manage to track down Doctors Nine, Ten and Eleven and their respective companions and a few others (no Cybermen for me, either, darn it). I still have the TARDIS from the Ten, Jack and Martha set right next to my computer though the rest of the DW crew have moved to "stored away because where did all of these Marvel Legends, various DC lines and Black Series figures come from?"  ??

I've been really pleased with Jodie's portrayal so far; I think she's doing a great job of feeling "familiar" as a Doctor, yet also bringing a bit of something new and unique to her performance as well. Looking forward to seeing more! ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sXeblues said:

^ If I had the funds, I’d probably venture to doing that, myself... Picking up figures by lot, that is to say. It’s really not in my budget though, sadly.

I’m pretty dang envious of all of those Cybermen, though. In all my years collecting DW figures, I’ve yet to land myself a single Cyberman figure, lol.

Those are just my new series ones. I have all the classic series Cybermen too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, InvisibleStormtrooper said:

I remember watching Tom Baker's episodes on PBS when I was young and they cut off right in the middle of one of the serial eps and didn't show the finale, ugh. Can't recall which one anymore, just remember how annoying it was to not know how it was going to end! Oh and I remember being upset when Leela left

That’s very similar to how it happened for me — although, I didn’t remember my earliest memories of watching Tom Baker on PBS, with my mom, until the series came back in 2005, and it became my replacement for Star Trek: Enterprise, which had just been cancelled. I distinctly remember hearing the DW theme tune, and cocking my head in a form of subconscious recognition. I realized it was so familiar to me, but it took me a while to place where I knew it from. Years later, I was actually able to figure out the one singular visual I had in my head of Tom Baker was from one of the episodes in the serial, ‘The Stones of Blood’, which was part of the Key to Time series.

11 hours ago, InvisibleStormtrooper said:

That kicked off a total obsession with the show that resulted in me buying a ton of DVDs and merchandise. I didn't have a lot of luck finding many figures at that time, though, but I did eventually manage to track down Doctors Nine, Ten and Eleven and their respective companions and a few others (no Cybermen for me, either, darn it). I still have the TARDIS from the Ten, Jack and Martha set right next to my computer though the rest of the DW crew have moved to "stored away because where did all of these Marvel Legends, various DC lines and Black Series figures come from?"  ??

LOL, I know what you mean! ?

Doctor Who was exactly what I needed, when it began again in 2005. And it became an all-out obsession. It’s so weird to think of it now, that there was a time where the series was nothing more than a vague memory from my childhood. And now, in stark contrast, I cannot imagine existing and its not being an integral part of my life. I remember meeting a few people early on who would try to dissuade me from venturing into the Classic Series, strictly under the premise that it was ‘very different’ from the Modern. But, that didn’t stop me. My first dvd set was ‘The Beginning’ box set, showcasing the first Hartnell serials from 1963. And then I was off, picking up Classic Series dvds any chance I got. Sometimes by Doctor, sometimes by monster, et al, lol.

Figure-wise, I’ve been extremely lucky to land myself the figures that I have. It can be incredibly frustrating at times though, especially whilst attempting to collect various Black Series, DC Multiverse and Marvel Legends figures, as I’m sure you well know. And that’s when I can find Doctor Who merch, at all. Like, they recently released a Bill Potts figure — which goes without saying, I really want. I found her on Amazon UK, for a decent price, but that didn’t take the shipping into account. She’s gonna be just under $40, if I want her, going about it that way. A 5.5”, relatively basic figure like that, compared to a 6” or 7”, $20 DC, Black Series or Legends figure, with accessories, probably a BAF component, etc; It makes going with the latter a no brainer, sometimes.

11 hours ago, InvisibleStormtrooper said:

I've been really pleased with Jodie's portrayal so far; I think she's doing a great job of feeling "familiar" as a Doctor, yet also bringing a bit of something new and unique to her performance as well. Looking forward to seeing more! ?

Well said, mate. I couldn’t agree more! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CorpseSChris said:

Those are just my new series ones. I have all the classic series Cybermen too.

Man, lol... That makes it envious squared, for me! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...






Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE