sXeblues

Thoughts on the Spider-Man Game for PS4?

Sadly, due to myriad financial issues, I have not been able to play, lest afford, the recent Spider-Man game for PS4... But, I have been actively experiencing it, vicariously, through online gameplay footage, on Youtube. I’ve now sat through the entire game to its completion, and feel very much, even in spite of not having had a first-person, hands-on experience with the gameplay and such, that it is essentially the quintessential modern day take on Peter Parker, his rogues gallery, and his life as Spider-Man.

But, with that said, I hasten to acknowledge that Spidey still thrives in the comics to this day, thanks to writers like Dan Slott — love him or hate him. As well as the big and smaller screen adaptations that a lot of us grew up with, and yet hold dear. Like the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy. Okay, only parts 1 & 2 of those. The Mark Webb ‘Amazing Spider-Man’ movies; Which, while not universally loved, I still think had some redeeming values. Not least of which was Emma Stone’s casting as Gwen Stacy.

And then of course, Tom Holland’s take on the titular web-head in the current MCU, as well as in ‘Homecoming’. Which, for my part, is probably the best on-screen depiction of the character, to date. Even in spite of how badass the second Raimi Spider-Man was, with the birth and evolution of Doc Ock, and those killer fight sequences between Spidey and Ock, most especially on the train.

Then of course, was the original 90s animated Spider-Man series — which largely felt like it was edited for kids with ADHD. And the later, multiple, CG animated series’.

All of these considered, I’m curious to hear from you guys, whether or not you think Spider-Man on PS4 lives up to, or far surpasses, any or all of these former iterations of Spider-Man. Because, everything about it simply wowed me, and floored me — every little bit that I watched of the gameplay and cutscenes — repeatedly. And very much seemed to tip the hat even beyond Maguire’s, and even Holland’s takes, on the titular web-head.

So, what say you?

1A87EFB6-FF27-4781-B62C-5F0FDF1744F4.jpeg

I just got around to finishing this game and I gotta say it lives up to the hype. The gameplay is amazing(see what I did there) but also the quiet story driven moments stand out and help flesh out the characters. I really think it's one of the best depictions of Spider-Man ever put forth. That said I have a few gripes like the some of the boss fights in the game and I could have done without a lot of the side characters stealth missions but other than that a strong addition to the Spider-Man mythos. As for live action we have gotten some good interpretations in the movies, while I never really liked Tobey McGuire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man his movies were pretty good, the first two anyway. There was a great joy of seeing Spider-Man swinging through the buildings of NY in the big screen. The first one also had the perfect origin story for Spider-Man and let's not forget Willem Dafoe's performance. The second one I don't like so much, it's a good movie but there was a sense of Deja Vú as we got yet another scientist with a personal connection to Peter being driven "mad" by his creation and concluding with said villain kidnapping Mary Jane again and dying in the confrontation. Another thing that bothered me about the second one is the depiction of Doc Ock, while I applaud them for giving him a sympathetic backstory and make him more relatable they also did away with character traits that make Doctor Octopus a standout Spidey villain. The 3rd one went off the rails and did things like messing with the origin story from the first one and the whole Venom thing. The Amazing Spider-Man movies had an excellent cast Andrew Garfield looked a lot like I picture Peter Parker to be and Emma Stone was wonderful as Gwen Stacy their chemistry is still the best part of those movies. My problem was that they tried to make Peter kind of emo-ish and it felt unnecessary to reboot the whole thing. The second had the problem of having 2 villains none which were really interesting, having something like 3 plots and trying to set up future spin offs. So far I like what Tom Holland is doing and I feel that after his performance in Infinity War he's the best of the live action Spider-Men. I really enjoyed Homecoming and its whole coming of age approach to the life of Peter Parker and balancing that with being Spider-Man. As for the comics it's been a while since I followed the series but I don't think Dan Slott has done an awful job or at least as awful as people make it out to be. In animation the 1994 series still holds a special place in my heart sure it was ridiculously censored but the fact that they accomplished a lot with those restrictions is an achievement by itself. I didn't watch a lot of the Spider-Man unlimited or any of the others that came out after although I hear Spectacular Spider-Man is the best. I tried watching Ultimate Spider-Man but save a few episodes here and there I didn't much enjoyed it.

• Thanks 1

@Belmont13 Thanks very much for sharing your perspective on all of the different aspects / versions of Spidey! ?

No problem, man, it's a good thread. I have been meaning to reply for a while but I wanted to finish the game first. Spider-Man is one of my favorites I can talk about him for a while. Feel free to resurrect the topic when you get around to playing the game, I would love to hear your thoughts.