Jump to content
Outsiders

Netflix's 'The Witcher' Casts Pivotal Roles Of Ciri & Yennefer

Recommended Posts

The pivotal role of Ciri, Princess of Cintra, will be played by Freya Allan (The War of the Worlds, Into The Badlands). Other characters from the court at Cintra include Queen Calanthe (Jodhi May, Game of Thrones, Genius), and her husband, the knight Eist (Björn Hlynur Haraldsson, Fortitude), along with the druid Mousesack (Adam Levy, Knightfall, Snatch).

The sorceress Yennefer will be played by Anya Chalotra (The ABC Murders, Wanderlust). Leading the magical academy at Aretuza is Tissaia (MyAnna Buring, Ripper Street, Kill List), and Yennefer is joined by other novice sorcerers Fringilla (Mimi Ndiweni, Black Earth Rising), Sabrina (Therica Wilson-Read, Profile). Also joining the cast is Millie Brady (The Last Kingdom, Teen Spirit) as the outcast Princess Renfri.

The new cast join previously announced Henry Cavill (Mission Impossible - Fallout, Justice League) who leads the cast of The Witcher saga, playing the role of Geralt of Rivia. Remaining cast will be announced soon.

The Witcher showrunner and Executive Producer, Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (Marvel's Daredevil, Marvel's The Defenders, Umbrella Academy) commented "Casting The Witcher has been one of the biggest projects of my career, and undoubtedly the most exciting. I can't wait for these wonderful actors to bring such iconic and loved characters to life on screen, and to share these special stories with viewers all over the world."

The series will be directed by Alik Sakharov (House of Cards, Game of Thrones) - four episodes, including the first episode, and Alex Garcia Lopez (Marvel's Luke Cage, Utopia) & Charlotte Brändström (Outlander, Counterpart, Disparue) who will direct two episodes each.

Logline: Based on the best-selling fantasy series, The Witcher is an epic tale of fate and family. Geralt of Rivia, a solitary monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts. But when destiny hurtles him toward a powerful sorceress, and a young princess with a dangerous secret, the three must learn to navigate the increasingly volatile Continent together.

Cast_WW_Horizontal.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I've never read the novels or played the games, but I really hope it goes well and we get lots of seasons.  I tried to look up the actors selected and some of them look nothing like the characters. 

But, we'll see how it plays out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole thing feels like such a Game of Thrones cash grab... But, I guess we’ll see how it goes. Maybe it’ll be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sXeblues said:

This whole thing feels like such a Game of Thrones cash grab... But, I guess we’ll see how it goes. Maybe it’ll be great.

I thought that was very clear from the start. Since GoT became a hit, almost every network and streaming service is trying to make a !version! of it.  We have Vikings, The Last Kingdom, and very soon a new LotR show at Amazon Prime. I am a very very much fan of fantasy, medieval esque show/movie. So, the more the merrier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FASVB said:

I thought that was very clear from the start. Since GoT became a hit, almost every network and streaming service is trying to make a !version! of it.  We have Vikings, The Last Kingdom, and very soon a new LotR show at Amazon Prime. I am a very very much fan of fantasy, medieval esque show/movie. So, the more the merrier. 

I don’t tend to follow any such shows — apart maybe from the LOTR one, which I’ll be highly curious to check out. So, by and large, I honestly had no idea that this was a running thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 3:29 AM, sXeblues said:

I don’t tend to follow any such shows — apart maybe from the LOTR one, which I’ll be highly curious to check out. So, by and large, I honestly had no idea that this was a running thing.

Man, Vikings is awesome! The first couple of episodes are a bit slow, but when Ragnar gets to the Saxon Kingdoms things star to get very good. On another note I just love Katheryn Winnick, she plays Lagertha the Shield Maiden.  Inspired in the tales of Ragnar  Lothbrook and some real facts. 

One franchise that they could make as a TV show is Warcraft. I liked the movie a lot and I don't see it going forward as a movie trilogy, so maybe a TV show would be good. The problem  are the effects.  To have well done CGI characters running around in every single episode will make it very expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 3:00 AM, FASVB said:

Man, Vikings is awesome! The first couple of episodes are a bit slow, but when Ragnar gets to the Saxon Kingdoms things star to get very good. On another note I just love Katheryn Winnick, she plays Lagertha the Shield Maiden.  Inspired in the tales of Ragnar  Lothbrook and some real facts. 

One franchise that they could make as a TV show is Warcraft. I liked the movie a lot and I don't see it going forward as a movie trilogy, so maybe a TV show would be good. The problem  are the effects.  To have well done CGI characters running around in every single episode will make it very expensive. 

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Vikings... And it would be something I might want to check out, if I wasn’t so bogged down with anime and other things. Maybe one of these days I’ll dig into it.

I need to check out the Warcraft movie too, at some point. I’ve never played the game at all, but have been really curious about the movie by itself. It would probably do really well as a serialized tv series, were it not for the limitations that would prevent them from really delving into that world with the necessary CGI it would take. All I know is, if they did make one, I’d try to fit it in to watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×






Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE