James Gunn Heads To DC So He Can Pen Suicide Squad II Script

JayC

THR reports that former Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn who was recently fired from Disney for old tweets he made regarding rape and pedophilia will now be heading to Warner Bros. to pen the script for the next DC Comic based Suicide Squad movie. No word yet on whether or not he will direct the film or not.

Hmm, very interesting... I’ll be highly curious to see how this develops. Especially as someone who very much liked aspects of Suicide Squad — Harley Quinn and Katana, mostly — but didn’t quite love it.

That tells a lot about DC. HE is a good professional, but nothing can excuse what he has said. 

lol DC is already dark so they don't care about that stuff, they just want talent any ways they can get it. I have a feeling that the Suicide Squad is going to become a lot better now.

^ Hopefully they’ll all be back... But for me, it’s Harley or no deal. I wasn’t the biggest fan of how the first movie came out as a final product, but loved the casting, overall. So, with hope, Gunn can bring some of his style and expertise to Suicide Squad 2 and make it that much better!

If it wasnt for the DCEU (mainly suicide squad 2) I would have been suprised, even happy, I understand the whole "we are a family company" role Disney took in regards to James Gunn and him being fired (I still think it was a bad move and quite unjustified but I understand), and if it were somewhere else Id put my money on Gunn making a great move but with the track record of Warner and their DC Cinematic Universe and how they love to get their hands in the movies and change everything I have little faith theyll let Gunn make a movie on his own terms (which would probably end up being really good) and instead he'll write the scritp, people in WB will come in and screw the scritp, then he'll make the best of it and film the movie and again the people at WB will come in and ask for reshoots and rewrite the whole damn thing to the point that once the film is released it'll be a complete mess and have close to nothing from Gunn's original plan. I love DC but boy I hate how WB manages the DC movies at least as of late. And with every day it seems like more and more news of problems after problems with their DC movies come out, (at least to me) its just gotten to a point where I harly get excited about reveals concerning DC films (and thats just sad)       

4 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

If it wasnt for the DCEU (mainly suicide squad 2) I would have been suprised, even happy, I understand the whole "we are a family company" role Disney took in regards to James Gunn and him being fired (I still think it was a bad move and quite unjustified but I understand), and if it were somewhere else Id put my money on Gunn making a great move but with the track record of Warner and their DC Cinematic Universe and how they love to get their hands in the movies and change everything I have little faith theyll let Gunn make a movie on his own terms (which would probably end up being really good) and instead he'll write the scritp, people in WB will come in and screw the scritp, then he'll make the best of it and film the movie and again the people at WB will come in and ask for reshoots and rewrite the whole damn thing to the point that once the film is released it'll be a complete mess and have close to nothing from Gunn's original plan. I love DC but boy I hate how WB manages the DC movies at least as of late. And with every day it seems like more and more news of problems after problems with their DC movies come out, (at least to me) its just gotten to a point where I harly get excited about reveals concerning DC films (and thats just sad)       

Yea, I feel you on that... It all began pretty excitingly, to me, with ‘Man of Steel’. And then, sadly, with each and every subsequent film, I still found that I generally enjoyed them, but the issues I was having with them began to mount and compound on top of the previous ones, until you could see that whatever was going on behind the scenes was a hot mess, at best. And the brand new ‘Titans’ series on DC Universe has done nothing to cease those concerns. I can only hope that ‘Shazam’, ‘Aquaman’ and ‘Wonder Woman 2’ all excell and hallmark a more positive course change for them.

5 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

Yea, I feel you on that... It all began pretty excitingly, to me, with ‘Man of Steel’. And then, sadly, with each and every subsequent film, I still found that I generally enjoyed them, but the issues I was having with them began to mount and compound on top of the previous ones, until you could see that whatever was going on behind the scenes was a hot mess, at best. And the brand new ‘Titans’ series on DC Universe has done nothing to cease those concerns. I can only hope that ‘Shazam’, ‘Aquaman’ and ‘Wonder Woman 2’ all excell and hallmark a more positive course change for them.

Totally, I don't know if its just as you put itissues mounting up one on top of the other that its come to a fatigue where even something that would normaly be exciting just imediately in the back of your head is wondering what will happen with it and what wrong is going to come out of it, I hope at least Shazam and Aquaman do well cause the trailers look very intresting, my issue again with this is that we've been burned many times before with exciting trailers and disapointing films when it comes to DC, its almost like by the time their putting the trailer together the movies are a big pile of $%^# that they put as much money and effort into making the trailer look good that once the movie comes out it ends up being underwhelming and most of the cool scenes in the movie we already saw in the trailer.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 6:56 PM, NeedlessImmortals said:

lol DC is already dark so they don't care about that stuff, they just want talent any ways they can get it. I have a feeling that the Suicide Squad is going to become a lot better now.

You got a point there. Yes he makes good movies and I can't really see yet how GotG would have looked like without him. The thing is that it can''t be the same kinda movie. Otherwise people will go like hey there it is the DC's GotG, but with supervillains and not in space. 

So this can be an actual good thing, DC must put their  cap together and figure out what the hell they want and where they want to go. They can't be like all over the place. 

15 hours ago, FASVB said:

You got a point there. Yes he makes good movies and I can't really see yet how GotG would have looked like without him. The thing is that it can''t be the same kinda movie. Otherwise people will go like hey there it is the DC's GotG, but with supervillains and not in space. 

So this can be an actual good thing, DC must put their  cap together and figure out what the hell they want and where they want to go. They can't be like all over the place. 

I remember back when Suicide Squad first came out it was being compared to Guardians of the Galaxy. But your right, I really don't want them to have the same feel which may be hard for him to pull off because on paper they are very similar.

3 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I remember back when Suicide Squad first came out it was being compared to Guardians of the Galaxy. But your right, I really don't want them to have the same feel which may be hard for him to pull off because on paper they are very similar.

I don't really see them like that. Might be because of the coincidence of releases, bunch of misfits and outcasts.  But SS are a team of supervilains. Guardians not so much. And they have lots of differences 

1 hour ago, FASVB said:

I don't really see them like that. Might be because of the coincidence of releases, bunch of misfits and outcasts.  But SS are a team of supervilains. Guardians not so much. And they have lots of differences 

I know in the comics they are way different but in the movies they are more or less the same, hell they pretty much just made them all out to be misunderstood than actual criminals in Suicide Squad.

• Like 1

There's no doubt in my mind that WB/DC meant for Suicide Squad to be their Guardians. Yes, the source material is very different but when they made Suicide Squad and the trailer with Bohemian Rhapsody it did felt like they were trying to make it like Guardians. In my opinion, it didn't work because one it was too soon in the DCEU and the only 2 superheroes established were Batman who was kind of extreme in his crime fighting methods and Superman who is kind of a douche. In my opinion the movie was ok, more enjoyable than Batman vs. Superman but not really good, plus it doesn't help that save one or two exceptions most of what the Squad brought to the table could be done by a well trained elite soldier. Hopefully James Gunn can turn things around and make an interesting sequel, it wouldn't hurt to get some new faces in there as the cast of the first wasn't that impressive to me.

^ I think all that and more will be possible, bringing Gunn on board... At least, that’s going to be my hope. I’m all for new characters, too. But, I do want Harley back, at the very least.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:05 PM, sXeblues said:

^ I think all that and more will be possible, bringing Gunn on board... At least, that’s going to be my hope. I’m all for new characters, too. But, I do want Harley back, at the very least.

Well Harley has to come back since shes the main character in the comics now, It would be cool if they brought in Black Manta and few other bigger named villains. 

On 10/17/2018 at 9:56 PM, NeedlessImmortals said:

Well Harley has to come back since shes the main character in the comics now, It would be cool if they brought in Black Manta and few other bigger named villains. 

Oh damn, Black Manta would be a killer crossover character, for sure!