Toys R Us Goes Out Of Business.... Just Kidding

JayC

According to a report by the WSJ it looks like Toys R' Us' controlling lenders have had a change of heart and decided to revive the Toys ‘R’ Us and Babies ‘R’ Us names in the United States with retail stores. Apparently at the last minute someone decided the brand was just to valuable to kill off.

There aren't a lot of specific details at this time, but if you thought you were going to have to grow up after all 735 stores in the US closed a few months ago, I guess you were wrong. Stay-tuned for more details on this as they become available.

Toys R Us Under 400 Million Debt Examining Potential Relief Options Including Bankruptcy Protection__scaled_600.jpg

I'm glad... but what a waste of money to reopen all those stores... hopefully they revamp the heck out of the stores, just sad about all the people that lost their jobs because of this... wonder if they get first dibs.

Yes sometimes the market value of a name  cannot be dismissed like this. They will probably rethink their business model and reopen way less stores in strategic points, strengthen their online presence  and keep it small. It's the smartest thing to do. 

1 hour ago, JoeRhyno said:

I'm glad... but what a waste of money to reopen all those stores... hopefully they revamp the heck out of the stores, just sad about all the people that lost their jobs because of this... wonder if they get first dibs.

Wasting money was the business model of Toys R Us (TRU). When I was in college, I worked in the storeroom of a local TRU. They eventually decided to close the TRU and rebrand the location as a Babies r Us (BRU). They gutted the store, liquidated the products, sold the shelving, etc. They then rebuilt the the store as BRU, new fixtures, shelving, paint job, etc. 

The BRU lasted a while, but failed to be successful. They did the exact same thing as before and reopened the store  as a TRU again. That location lasted until the recent bankruptcy/closing event. The wounds of TRU/BRU were all self inflicted. They had poor leadership and made bad decisions. Hopefully this movement learns from past mistakes.

Is there anywhere to put them? Can they even get the same locations back?

I hope whoever opens new stores is WAY better at running them from the top. Too many companies these days have the worst people running them.

I'll be glad to have them back...BUT yeah they gotta do better.  Prices have to be better, more clearances to move old stock, a more robust video game area (imagine an area where you could play the games or had super awesome displays/set up for big releases)...heck even a 1/6 figure section.  TRU could make a killing if they moved to the 21st century....

14 minutes ago, kILLMonger said:

I'll be glad to have them back...BUT yeah they gotta do better.  Prices have to be better, more clearances to move old stock, a more robust video game area (imagine an area where you could play the games or had super awesome displays/set up for big releases)...heck even a 1/6 figure section.  TRU could make a killing if they moved to the 21st century....

You could ask a hundred guys and get a hundred reasons why TRU fell, and they'd all probably be right. I'm just glad they're back.

I heard about this early, on one hand I'm glad, I always loved going to Toys R Us but on the other hand... more TRU exclusives!!! ?

For a minute there, before I saw the ‘just kidding’ in the title, I thought I’d tripped back to a few months ago, lol. But, okay — so they didn’t actually go out of business; Neat.

But, I’m highly curious what this is going to mean, moving forward. Are we going to see pop up Toys R Uses cropping up hither and thither, in lieu of actual stores reopening, ala Spirit Halloween stores? Which, could be cool, depending on the actual stock they’ll be lining the shelves with.

I mean, I love Toys R Us... But, without having a car anymore, the closest store to me, prior to this whole going out of business thing, pretty much became forever out of reach. So, maybe if they reconfigure their business model a little bit, such stores will become more readily available again, and with hope, do business that is lucrative enough to keep them from closing again.

23 hours ago, JoeRhyno said:

They better get first dibs! What kinda dick head would do that to all those people.

It will be cool to have them back, Im just really curious as to how they are going to do it this time around.  I also wonder how they plan to compete with Amazon, Walmart, and Target?  Should be very interesting to see how this will all play out in the future...

^ Yea, especially with the steadily growing predominance of shopping online... Even though I know TRU had their own store website, as well. But, I didn’t really care for it that much, on the rare occasion that I actually had reason to access it.

Yeah, but will they learn from their mistakes this time around? Probably not. Still going to have low inventory and trouble stocking their own exclusives, high prices and a store that consists of way too much stuff that isn't toys. Geoffrey needs to stay dead. 

10 hours ago, sXeblues said:

^ Yea, especially with the steadily growing predominance of shopping online... Even though I know TRU had their own store website, as well. But, I didn’t really care for it that much, on the rare occasion that I actually had reason to access it.

Yeah they need start from the ground up.  Have a better website, Im thinking less brick and mortar stores, and better inventory.  Not even going to say better prices, cause I have no idea how they are going to be able to do that, unless some big name companies want to help them out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BrandenStrong1987 said:

So excited about the new toys R US news,  which is now going to be called "Geoffrey's Toy Box".

Just saw the article as well, rebranding is already on its way.

E785C2A4-B54C-4A86-9362-9A70B6084A6A.jpeg

5 minutes ago, GojiBill said:

Just saw the article as well, rebranding is already on its way.

E785C2A4-B54C-4A86-9362-9A70B6084A6A.jpeg

Hmm... Doesn’t quite have they same ring to it, as ‘Toys R Us’ did. ?