DC's 'Titans' New Promotional Poster & Character Trailers

Outsiders

DC Universe unveiled a new promotional poster and four new character-based trailers for their upcoming original series featuring Robin, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy.  The premiere of Titans is October 12th, exclusively on DC Universe.

titans_ver5_xlg.jpg

Well, I think the Robin and Beast Boy promos are at least a little bit closer in line with their characters, as I tend to think of them. The CG animal transformations leave a little to be desired. As do the Raven and Starfire promos, on whole. I still haven’t decided whether or not I want to check this series out. I love the Titans. Especially the former animated series (NOT ‘GO’, as it were). There’s just so much that’s been changed up for no real reason, it seems to me. Except that, maybe the studio suits think ‘people will relate more if the characters look like average humans’. Which would apparently include a Vegas lady of the night.

Unfortunately, due to country restrictions I could not see the videos.

But, I have seen some footage and they seem interesting indeed. Beast Boy looks cool and the transformations seem well made.

Raven I still don't know and Robin seems very Dick Grayson indeed. Can't wait to see hope they will develop Jason Todd and hopefully, one day Tim Drake, my personal favorite Robin. 

My gripe is Starfire because she looks absolutely nothing like the character original design, even the ones form the 80's. For starters she is orange. 

I seriously hope that Netflix brings this show to us or even better that the DC Universe goes well and gets expanded to other Countries. 

1 hour ago, FASVB said:

Unfortunately, due to country restrictions I could not see the videos.

But, I have seen some footage and they seem interesting indeed. Beast Boy looks cool and the transformations seem well made.

Raven I still don't know and Robin seems very Dick Grayson indeed. Can't wait to see hope they will develop Jason Todd and hopefully, one day Tim Drake, my personal favorite Robin. 

My gripe is Starfire because she looks absolutely nothing like the character original design, even the ones form the 80's. For starters she is orange. 

I seriously hope that Netflix brings this show to us or even better that the DC Universe goes well and gets expanded to other Countries. 

I think a lot of people are against Starfire's look. For me its not a exactly a race thing its its more of I think they casted the wrong looking type of person and gave her a bad style and personality choice. For instance, they just announced that Jurnee Smollett-Bell is going to be Black Canary and personally I think she would be a better Harley Quinn but I'm willing to give her a chance as Black Canary, I don't think shes too miscast. I'm more disappointed about Mary Elizabeth Winstead being casted tbh.

8 hours ago, sXeblues said:

Well, I think the Robin and Beast Boy promos are at least a little bit closer in line with their characters, as I tend to think of them. The CG animal transformations leave a little to be desired. As do the Raven and Starfire promos, on whole. I still haven’t decided whether or not I want to check this series out. I love the Titans. Especially the former animated series (NOT ‘GO’, as it were). There’s just so much that’s been changed up for no real reason, it seems to me. Except that, maybe the studio suits think ‘people will relate more if the characters look like average humans’. Which would apparently include a Vegas lady of the night.

I feel the same, Robin and Beast Boy promos grabbed your attention. I’d actually check the pilot based on them. The Raven and Starfire promos...meh. Too general, not much to go off and rather bland. Could easily be mistaken for Fox mutant promo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuitarDevil said:

I'm just over here worried about Cyborg??….

That’s a fair point... Unless this is supposed to be the same universe as DC movies. In which case, they bypassed Titans and moved him straight into the Justice League.

On 9/29/2018 at 5:13 AM, NeedlessImmortals said:

I think a lot of people are against Starfire's look. For me its not a exactly a race thing its its more of I think they casted the wrong looking type of person and gave her a bad style and personality choice. For instance, they just announced that Jurnee Smollett-Bell is going to be Black Canary and personally I think she would be a better Harley Quinn but I'm willing to give her a chance as Black Canary, I don't think shes too miscast. I'm more disappointed about Mary Elizabeth Winstead being casted tbh.

The actress just doesn't look like any portrayal of Starfire over the years. To make matter worse, there is the skin problem. She is orange all the time and not just when she activates her powers. 

16 hours ago, MLs4life said:

What the F#*$, I can't watch any of these. Is this another "American privilege"?!?

Easy easy.  Channels put country restrictions all the time. They are only allowed to broadcast the content inside US. I think it's dumb too, but it's the way it is. 

8 hours ago, sXeblues said:

That’s a fair point... Unless this is supposed to be the same universe as DC movies. In which case, they bypassed Titans and moved him straight into the Justice League.

He is gonna be in Doom Patrol and it's not the same unverse as I beleive that they se the premisse of the multiverse to put all these character iterations .

29 minutes ago, FASVB said:

The actress just doesn't look like any portrayal of Starfire over the years. To make matter worse, there is the skin problem. She is orange all the time and not just when she activates her powers. 

They’ve done that with Beast Boy, too... He’s only green when he uses his powers. Ugh.

25 minutes ago, FASVB said:

He is gonna be in Doom Patrol and it's not the same unverse as I beleive that they se the premisse of the multiverse to put all these character iterations .

Oh, I didn’t realize Cyborg was in Doom Patrol... I guess they have some pretty big cajones to make all of these shows independent of each other — if that is the way they’re doing it. As compared to Marvel’s all encompasing universe. I’d imagine some people might get confused over Warner’s not doing the same thing.

5 hours ago, FASVB said:

The whole thing is that shes an alien, her skin is alien, her eyes are alien, her hair is alien, her fashion choices are alien. Its just like GojiBill said, it looks more like shes a mutant manifesting her powers. I dont want to see any story with Starfire struggling to understand where she came from or how her powers work, shes not Superman, shes just an alien princess who was exiled, she knows what her powers are. ? 

Finally, I'm just gonna say it, she looks like Oprah. 

I refuse to let DC take this away from me! ?

09.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

The whole thing is that shes an alien, her skin is alien, her eyes are alien, her hair is alien, her fashion choices are alien. Its just like GojiBill said, it looks more like shes a mutant manifesting her powers. I dont want to see any story with Starfire struggling to understand where she came from or how her powers work, shes not Superman, shes just an alien princess who was exiled, she knows what her powers are. ? 

Finally, I'm just gonna say it, she looks like Oprah. 

I refuse to let DC take this away from me! ?

09.jpg

I am with you 100%

It has been said that the first character design for her was inspired by the model Naomi Campbell. Even then she doesn't look anything the original design.

Even Starfire from the original Teen Titans cartoon looks better.  I feel like almost any cosplayer could do a better job. Effortless. 

• Like 1

Concur with all the complaints in regards to the lack orange skin and alien features on the Starfire design. Stay as close to source material as you can, it will always provide a better product. 

DP2 Juggernaut > X3 Juggernaut 

Gamora is a green alien in comics so she was a green alien in the movies. They even kept a hint of her yellow highlights around her eyes. I figured after Rocket Raccoon we’d be done with studios trying to make comic material more “realistic” for television and movies.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FASVB said:

I am with you 100%

It has been said that the first character design for her was inspired by the model Naomi Campbell. Even then she doesn't look anything the original design.

Even Starfire from the original Teen Titans cartoon looks better.  I feel like almost any cosplayer could do a better job. Effortless. 

I would even be ok if they made her look like she does in Teen Titans/ Teen Titans Go! I'm with you completely, I think if you could give just about anyone a few different reference pictures of the character and they could come up with a better look than what this show has done.

16 hours ago, GojiBill said:

Gamora is a green alien in comics so she was a green alien in the movies. They even kept a hint of her yellow highlights around her eyes. I figured after Rocket Raccoon we’d be done with studios trying to make comic material more “realistic” for television and movies.

I also liked that she had hints to her more revealing outfit in the first movie. They definitely had comic fans in mind when making her look which I really appreciate.  

17 hours ago, GojiBill said:

Concur with all the complaints in regards to the lack orange skin and alien features on the Starfire design. Stay as close to source material as you can, it will always provide a better product. 

DP2 Juggernaut > X3 Juggernaut 

Domino in DP2 is another example. 

6 hours ago, FASVB said:

Domino in DP2 is another example. 

Yeah I wasn't sure about her and part of me still has issues with the afro but she was great in that movie.

3 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Yeah I wasn't sure about her and part of me still has issues with the afro but she was great in that movie.

Nothing against the performance. jus aesthetics.  This is a trend. A very stupid one. Done that to VAlkyroe, Domino and now Starfire. 

4 hours ago, FASVB said:

Nothing against the performance. jus aesthetics.  This is a trend. A very stupid one. Done that to VAlkyroe, Domino and now Starfire. 

Yep its just goes back to the whole creative vision thing messing everything up and it doesnt help that a lot of these actors and actresses are actually great in their roles but they could be perfect if they had better designs. As far as Valkyrie, I absolutely loved her in the movie all up until she switches her costume, I'm not a fan of their grey space suits that looked like they came out of the Willy Wonka tv room. I don't even see her as the true Valkyrie, just one of the others, in my mind at least lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FASVB said:

....see this stuff...respectfully it can lead to all kinds of misconceptions.  I'm not saying that was your intent...but that can cause a divide that should be foreign to comics.  Domino has chalk white skin.  By this logic only an albino could play her.  The Valkyrie concept works because there were a bunch of them.  It could be argued that the comics one was the one we saw die.  It's a totally different character.  This Starfire thing: while people insist is not color based...there just seems to be an under current of something disturbing.  Where are we going to find and orange chick?  Depending on how deep this TV show pockets where I'm not sure they had MCU money to paint a female orange.  If it is a "trend" it's not a stupid one.  I'm sure there are more than a few people happy to feel represented on screen...and if I remember correctly in the long times ago...Starfire kinda had an afro thing going.  Not trying to pick a fight but man...this "diversity for diversity's sake" "forced diversity" backlash has to die...I read/like comics toys because we all supposed to be family.  We believe in mutants, vigilantes beating people up, aliens,  and people wielding huge guns and whatnot. It's supposed to be better than that nonsense going on in the political world. sorry rant over

• Like 1

I think I’ll just post this, as just the tiniest tip of the hat as to my particular take, on how incredibly wrong the direction they went with the design and overall look and style of this show’s interpretation of Starfire, is. If nothing else suggests to you a better way they could’ve gone — just as perfectly, with an actress of color — I dunno what will.

Credit: cutiepiesensei

0DEF0952-6DFE-42EC-95B7-D8278C78A9D6.jpeg

4E3AE34D-0067-44E1-8EFA-DCE4075B401F.jpeg

• Like 3