The CW Reveals The Backdrop For This Year's Crossover Event Is 'Elseworlds'

Outsiders

A new promotional poster for The CW’s three-night Arrowverse superhero crossover event was released on Arrow's Twitter account and now has a title of 'Elseworlds.'

The crossover will start with The Flash on Sunday, December 9th, followed by the storyline continuing on Arrow on Monday, December 10th, before the conclusion on Supergirl on Tuesday, December 11th.  No appearances by DC’s Legends of Tomorrow or Black Lightning but we'll see the introduction of Ruby Rose as Batwoman.  In addition, Tyler Hoechlin will be returning as Superman and Lois Lane will be making her first time appearance, played by Elizabeth Tulloch.

elseworlds_xlg.jpg

I kind of love that they’re calling it ‘Elseworlds’... Although, I wish that meant that we’d see even more characters from alternate timelines and worlds. Which, for all I know, could be what it all entails. But, I feel like, in this day and age, everything they’ve got up their sleeves as far as characters set to be making appearances, will already have been announced ahead of time.

Props to DC keeping Arrowverse alive and actually pulling off the shared universe. I really enjoyed the early seasons of Arrow and Flash, they gave me great depictions of King Shark, Deathstroke, and Gorilla Grodd. Based on the consensus of the community, I’m probably gonna dive back in. Have to binge watch Netflix to catch up for this Elseworlds event. Really interested to see how they introduce Batwoman without Batman.

I'm looking foward to the crossover I just hope they don't do the thing where their from an alternate timeline or whatever. Theres no reason why all these superheroes can't all exist in the same world.

34 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I'm looking foward to the crossover I just hope they don't do the thing where their from an alternate timeline or whatever. Theres no reason why all these superheroes can't all exist in the same world.

Well, except for the fact a few of them don't.

4 minutes ago, mako said:

Well, except for the fact a few of them don't.

I just mean like how Supergirl is from a different earth but maybe theyre going to do the Power Girl thing so who knows.

8 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I just mean like how Supergirl is from a different earth but maybe theyre going to do the Power Girl thing so who knows.

Man I only wish. And not having Legends on iit bummed me out a little bit. Sure they are going for a different vibe now, but they have Constantine! Every appearance that he has made was very good. 

One of these days, I’ve really gotta go back and check a majority of these shows out, by themselves. It sounds like they had a lot of really cool stuff in them that I actually would’ve loved seeing. The few times that I had deigned to sample them out though, was kind of a love / hate experience for me. And just didn’t resound me enough to take me away from the other stuff I was watching.

9 hours ago, FASVB said:

Man I only wish. And not having Legends on iit bummed me out a little bit. Sure they are going for a different vibe now, but they have Constantine! Every appearance that he has made was very good. 

I am curious if that is what they are planning for Supergirl if you saw the finale of last season. And yeah I love Constantine, I especially like that its the same guy from his old show which I also liked a lot.

3 hours ago, sXeblues said:

One of these days, I’ve really gotta go back and check a majority of these shows out, by themselves. It sounds like they had a lot of really cool stuff in them that I actually would’ve loved seeing. The few times that I had deigned to sample them out though, was kind of a love / hate experience for me. And just didn’t resound me enough to take me away from the other stuff I was watching.

I think these shows are all very love/hate, sometimes I feel like they are just pandering to teenage girls and the sjw crowd and other times they dive deep into comic book lore and do something awesome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I think these shows are all very love/hate, sometimes I feel like they are just pandering to teenage girls and the sjw crowd and other times they dive deep into comic book lore and do something awesome.

That is it. Supergirl has mainly become that.  SJW pandering. 

That is Berlanti's idea of a good show. 

They will focus noe on the prejudice against aliens. Sounds familiar? 

42 minutes ago, FASVB said:

That is it. Supergirl has mainly become that.  SJW pandering. 

That is Berlanti's idea of a good show. 

They will focus noe on the prejudice against aliens. Sounds familiar? 

Jeez, didn't they do that already? lol

5 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Jeez, didn't they do that already? lol

Yes, but now will be worse and yes there is that other plot line. Don't wanna throw spoilers here 

1 hour ago, FASVB said:

Yes, but now will be worse and yes there is that other plot line. Don't wanna throw spoilers here 

Well that has me less excited now. ?

1 hour ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Well that has me less excited now. ?

I'm curious to see that last scene where it will take the show, but not expecting much.  Not have decided yet if I will watch it anymore. 

1 hour ago, FASVB said:

I'm curious to see that last scene where it will take the show, but not expecting much.  Not have decided yet if I will watch it anymore. 

I've invested too much time into these shows so I plan to stick with it, Arrow is really the only one I had to take a break from for a bit but I'm all caught up now.

19 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I’d say you hit the nail on the head, for the most part... I always felt that it was resultant from being a bit of an anglophile and ‘otaku’, which has had me watching much more British and Japanese content, than Western television. And then, coming back to Western tv shows, I could just see how sophomoric and pedantic they could be.

Like, take the Benedict Cumberbatch ‘Sherlock’ series, for example. Which was very dramatic and highly intelligent, in my opinion. Then, I chanced to begin an episode of the Western equivalent, ‘Elementary’. Within the first few minutes, Lucy Liu jogs down the stairs in hot pants, trying to persuade ‘Holmes’ to do yoga, or go running, or whatever. You would never see such a scene in anything the BBC produced, I’d almost be willing to bet, under the banner of their drama dept. It made me think back to sitcoms I used to watch, growing up. It was literally sitcom humor, in what was supposed to be a drama series. It just didn’t mesh. And I loathed it and shut it off again, immediately.

I had the same trouble with ‘Supergirl’. The actual heroic and lore stuff, was really good. I liked it a lot. Especially when they brought Superman in for a couple episodes. But, they constantly cut back and forth between that and, I dunno what I’d call it. But, what feels like this Hollywood estimation of women; The banter, the one upsmanship, the dialogue, all felt like it was out of a, pardon the term, Tampax commercial. It never once felt like genuine women, having genuine discussions. More so this, misguidedly campy, entertainment-based approximation of what women are like. Where you said, ‘pandering to teenage girls’, is right on. That’s what it felt like.

And, even though these are superheroes, and they’re delving into deep comic book lore surrounding them, I just cannot stand that other aspect; The pedantic, patronizing, Western entertainment philosophy, that these series tend to be wrapped up in.

If it’ll give any indication, the only Western shows I’ve watched in the last couple of years were ‘Lethal Weapon’, ‘Riverdale’, ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ and ‘The Orville’. And, while each of these shows do suffer from some of those things, it is much less apparent, and the drama and story engagement usually outweighs those annoyances.

14 hours ago, FASVB said:

They will focus noe on the prejudice against aliens.

Oh man, cuz we’ve never seen that before, amirite?

Which, I have to say, would be all fine and well, if they could actually deliver on an engaging, new way to tell that kind of a story. I love ‘Star Trek’, so inclusivity isn’t a problem for me. It’s the way they pander and preach and bemoan, that gets up my ire sometimes. Not that I try to sweat it. I just tend not to engage with things that I don’t particularly care for. So, I don’t really see myself suddenly turning on a dime to embrace the show, any time soon.

1 hour ago, sXeblues said:

Oh man, cuz we’ve never seen that before, amirite?

Which, I have to say, would be all fine and well, if they could actually deliver on an engaging, new way to tell that kind of a story. I love ‘Star Trek’, so inclusivity isn’t a problem for me. It’s the way they pander and preach and bemoan, that gets up my ire sometimes. Not that I try to sweat it. I just tend not to engage with things that I don’t particularly care for. So, I don’t really see myself suddenly turning on a dime to embrace the show, any time soon.

It is a Berlanti production so he will put it as much as possible in your face. 

Trek was like a landmark on dealing with a whole sort of delicate subjects in a very didactic and positive way. MAde you really reflect and think on these subjects, without the excessive pandering that we have today.  

5 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I’d say you hit the nail on the head, for the most part... I always felt that it was resultant from being a bit of an anglophile and ‘otaku’, which has had me watching much more British and Japanese content, than Western television. And then, coming back to Western tv shows, I could just see how sophomoric and pedantic they could be.

Like, take the Benedict Cumberbatch ‘Sherlock’ series, for example. Which was very dramatic and highly intelligent, in my opinion. Then, I chanced to begin an episode of the Western equivalent, ‘Elementary’. Within the first few minutes, Lucy Liu jogs down the stairs in hot pants, trying to persuade ‘Holmes’ to do yoga, or go running, or whatever. You would never see such a scene in anything the BBC produced, I’d almost be willing to bet, under the banner of their drama dept. It made me think back to sitcoms I used to watch, growing up. It was literally sitcom humor, in what was supposed to be a drama series. It just didn’t mesh. And I loathed it and shut it off again, immediately.

I had the same trouble with ‘Supergirl’. The actual heroic and lore stuff, was really good. I liked it a lot. Especially when they brought Superman in for a couple episodes. But, they constantly cut back and forth between that and, I dunno what I’d call it. But, what feels like this Hollywood estimation of women; The banter, the one upsmanship, the dialogue, all felt like it was out of a, pardon the term, Tampax commercial. It never once felt like genuine women, having genuine discussions. More so this, misguidedly campy, entertainment-based approximation of what women are like. Where you said, ‘pandering to teenage girls’, is right on. That’s what it felt like.

And, even though these are superheroes, and they’re delving into deep comic book lore surrounding them, I just cannot stand that other aspect; The pedantic, patronizing, Western entertainment philosophy, that these series tend to be wrapped up in.

If it’ll give any indication, the only Western shows I’ve watched in the last couple of years were ‘Lethal Weapon’, ‘Riverdale’, ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ and ‘The Orville’. And, while each of these shows do suffer from some of those things, it is much less apparent, and the drama and story engagement usually outweighs those annoyances.

The problem (sort of) is that there have been an outpouring of women and girls praising these shows for what their doing and how theyre depicting strong women, lgbt women, working women, and all that. I have heard multiple stories of how there have been young teen girls who have started reading comics about these characters because of these shows. There have been girls who were bullied or depressed for being a lesbian or being afraid to come out who have been able to face their problems and feel better and talk to people about it because of these shows. All these things are good but the way the show does it is so incredibly cringe-worthy. There have been plenty of other shows that can and have done this without sounding preachy but then again before the Arrowverse I always saw the CW as a channel for teen girls anyways so maybe its us that need to be more understanding of what we're watching. For example, a lot of people like My Little Pony and I'll agree its pretty entertaining and theres a lot of good stuff in that show and anyone can get enjoyment out of it but it will always be a show geared towards girls so should guys be pissed that their are episodes with fashion shows, tea parties, and girly sleepovers? or complain that there arent enough guy characters and the show is too pink? I really think that Arrow is what brought a lot of guys to the CW. Smallville was also very girly feeling if you think about it.

1 hour ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

The problem (sort of) is that there have been an outpouring of women and girls praising these shows for what their doing and how theyre depicting strong women, lgbt women, working women, and all that. I have heard multiple stories of how there have been young teen girls who have started reading comics about these characters because of these shows. There have been girls who were bullied or depressed for being a lesbian or being afraid to come out who have been able to face their problems and feel better and talk to people about it because of these shows. All these things are good but the way the show does it is so incredibly cringe-worthy. There have been plenty of other shows that can and have done this without sounding preachy but then again before the Arrowverse I always saw the CW as a channel for teen girls anyways so maybe its us that need to be more understanding of what we're watching. For example, a lot of people like My Little Pony and I'll agree its pretty entertaining and theres a lot of good stuff in that show and anyone can get enjoyment out of it but it will always be a show geared towards girls so should guys be pissed that their are episodes with fashion shows, tea parties, and girly sleepovers? or complain that there arent enough guy characters and the show is too pink? I really think that Arrow is what brought a lot of guys to the CW. Smallville was also very girly feeling if you think about it.

If that’s true about empowering women and teenage girls, in and outside of the LGBTQ community, especially inspiring them to pick up and support the comics that inspired those characters and stories, then the more the better, as far s I’m concerned. That’s actually pretty cool. At some point — and I think we see this with a lot of different genre properties and fandoms, lately — you just kind of have to admit to yourself that something may not be geared toward you, or your particular tastes, even if it still falls under the category of the things you happen to like.

One of the more recent examples is the new animated Star Wars series. It’s gotten a lot of flack, from right off the bat, from people saying it’s too kiddy, or it looks too goofy. And, I’ll admit, it didn’t really strike my fancy either, until the latest trailer that included First Order elements, and such. With that, it suddenly had my interest piqued. But, even if it didn’t have those things, and I still wasn’t really feeling it, I’m not going to go rant and rave and hate on it and anyone who likes it, if I don’t happen to. Which seems to be all too common these days.

Supergirl was kind of like that for me, too. I’ve watched a total of three of its episodes, I think. The pilot, and the Superman one(s). And, I just didn’t seem to jive with the girlier elements that were there. But, as you say, that’s probably because I’m not the target demographic. And I mean, even  then, everybody can still like and get into whatever they want to — demographics do not dictate subjective tastes. Anyone who digs that show can remain secure in that fact. I just don’t feel like it works for me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

If that’s true about empowering women and teenage girls, in and outside of the LGBTQ community, especially inspiring them to pick up and support the comics that inspired those characters and stories, then the more the better, as far s I’m concerned. That’s actually pretty cool. At some point — and I think we see this with a lot of different genre properties and fandoms, lately — you just kind of have to admit to yourself that something may not be geared toward you, or your particular tastes, even if it still falls under the category of the things you happen to like.

One of the more recent examples is the new animated Star Wars series. It’s gotten a lot of flack, from right off the bat, from people saying it’s too kiddy, or it looks too goofy. And, I’ll admit, it didn’t really strike my fancy either, until the latest trailer that included First Order elements, and such. With that, it suddenly had my interest piqued. But, even if it didn’t have those things, and I still wasn’t really feeling it, I’m not going to go rant and rave and hate on it and anyone who likes it, if I don’t happen to. Which seems to be all too common these days.

Supergirl was kind of like that for me, too. I’ve watched a total of three of its episodes, I think. The pilot, and the Superman one(s). And, I just didn’t seem to jive with the girlier elements that were there. But, as you say, that’s probably because I’m not the target demographic. And I mean, even  then, everybody can still like and get into whatever they want to — demographics do not dictate subjective tastes. Anyone who digs that show can remain secure in that fact. I just don’t feel like it works for me.

Well while I do think the CW was always geared more towards girl I also think they can benefit from getting the point across better and telling more compelling stories without pushing an agenda. Its a shame that so many people don't give Supergirl much of a chance because I would say its one of the better comic shows and I'd much rather see her go against her villains than Arrow fighting a bunch of pretty average human characters.

^ If ever I find myself in the possession of a dvd set or two, I’d still want to give the show a proper sit through, even in spite of my issues with it. Being a lifelong DC fan.

3 hours ago, sXeblues said:

^ If ever I find myself in the possession of a dvd set or two, I’d still want to give the show a proper sit through, even in spite of my issues with it. Being a lifelong DC fan.

Sometimes they really do a good job appealing to the comic fans. As a huge Cyborg Superman fan I was pissed when they Introduced Hank Henshaw as a black guy in charge of the DEO. And the fact that Dean Cain is in the show seemed like a missed opportunity to have a really cool Cyborg Superman very much like how John Wesley Shipp is now Jay Garrick on the Flash. But back to Supergirl, they did a lot of dumb things with the Hank Henshaw character that it was starting to piss me me off until they did the reveal that he was actually Martian Manhunter the entire time and not only that but he reveals his true from and it was by far the coolest comic book thing I had seen on tv at that time. Supergirl definitely has a lot more to play with than any of the other DC shows and the cameos are pretty fantastic as well.

4 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Sometimes they really do a good job appealing to the comic fans. As a huge Cyborg Superman fan I was pissed when they Introduced Hank Henshaw as a black guy in charge of the DEO. And the fact that Dean Cain is in the show seemed like a missed opportunity to have a really cool Cyborg Superman very much like how John Wesley Shipp is now Jay Garrick on the Flash. But back to Supergirl, they did a lot of dumb things with the Hank Henshaw character that it was starting to piss me me off until they did the reveal that he was actually Martian Manhunter the entire time and not only that but he reveals his true from and it was by far the coolest comic book thing I had seen on tv at that time. Supergirl definitely has a lot more to play with than any of the other DC shows and the cameos are pretty fantastic as well.

I’m not sure I’m remembering this correctly, but I think I may’ve been equally taken aback to learn that he was supposed to be Henshaw. I think I was also mildly intrigued. And, I’m almost sure I heard about his actually being Manhunter, and that too was like, ‘Well, that’s kinda interesting’.

To me sitting here now, I almost can’t wrap my brain around how exactly they might’ve explained that in a satisfying way. But, I’m sure just seeing Manhunter was enough to be like, ‘okay, that’s pretty dope!’

39 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

I’m not sure I’m remembering this correctly, but I think I may’ve been equally taken aback to learn that he was supposed to be Henshaw. I think I was also mildly intrigued. And, I’m almost sure I heard about his actually being Manhunter, and that too was like, ‘Well, that’s kinda interesting’.

To me sitting here now, I almost can’t wrap my brain around how exactly they might’ve explained that in a satisfying way. But, I’m sure just seeing Manhunter was enough to be like, ‘okay, that’s pretty dope!’

Yeah man, its really not a bad show, sure there are episodes that make you want to bash your brains in from time to time but if I had to weigh it in I'd have it lean more to the positive side especially after the last season which I enjoyed very much. I'd say the 3rd season is the best, then the 1st season and the 2nd as the weakest which isnt to say it was bad but they did pander more but luckily Mon-El saved that season.