DC Gallery Supergirl Comic Statue From DST

JayC

A Diamond Select Toys release! How super is your Gallery? The Girl of Steel breaks into the DC Gallery line of PVC dioramas with this dynamic new sculpture of Kara Zor-El! Shattering a set of chains, Supergirl flies out of an explosion and onto your shelf in a 10-inch diorama by James Marsano based on a design by Caesar. This sculpture features detailed paint applications and comes packaged in a full-color window box. Look for this to be released in March 2019. You can pre-order this now at BigBadToyStore.com.
1 of 1

33 minutes ago, Thinwheat said:

Beautiful! I wish the cape were a bit more dynamic though. It makes her look a bit static even though she's supposed to be in an action pose. 

Yea, she’s tearing through chains, explosion at her feet, but that cape is just laying there.

Not a bad looking statue... I always loved the chain breaking motif. Looks like Kara is channeling her cousin’s affinity for it.

I can't sem to find statues interesting. Sure they are good to look at and some like these can be considered pieces of art, but I would never trade action figures for statues. No fun factor at all. 

IF DST had the rights to make DC action figures in Select form, they sure would be awesome. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FASVB said:

I can't sem to find statues interesting. Sure they are good to look at and some like these can be considered pieces of art, but I would never trade action figures for statues. No fun factor at all. 

IF DST had the rights to make DC action figures in Select form, they sure would be awesome. 

I agree, I find myself preferring figures even when the statues have the potential to be far superior in sculpt/detail and are offered at a comparable price. Figures have come a long way in their designs and look far better than they did when I was a kid.

Exceptions are made for certain characters captured in iconic poses from the source material.

I actually pre-ordered her as soon as she went up, for that price shes too good to pass up, plus I'm kinda digging the freckles.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, GojiBill said:

I agree, I find myself preferring figures even when the statues have the potential to be far superior in sculpt/detail and are offered at a comparable price. Figures have come a long way in their designs and look far better than they did when I was a kid.

Exceptions are made for certain characters captured in iconic poses from the source material.

Especially at what statues can sometimes go for. Even PVC ones. It just makes more sense to get an action figure of the character if there's one to be found. There are a few characters I'll get statues of because I know they won't make a figure of it and a statue will be the only way to get a version of that character on the shelf. 

On 9/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, NeedlessImmortals said:

I actually pre-ordered her as soon as she went up, for that price shes too good to pass up, plus I'm kinda digging the freckles.

I’m not sure that it’s actually supposed to be freckles, because it appears all down her midsection, too... I think it might actually be paint spotting on a sample version?

5 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I’m not sure that it’s actually supposed to be freckles, because it appears all down her midsection, too... I think it might actually be paint spotting on a sample version?

I don't know, I've never seen that on past Diamond statues. I hope they keep them though it really gives her some personality.

11 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I don't know, I've never seen that on past Diamond statues. I hope they keep them though it really gives her some personality.

It does kind of give her a little bit closer to flesh and blood feel, as opposed to statues and figures that are just cast in skin toned plastic. I’m gonna be interested to see what the actual commercial samples look like.

I think that DST is one of the few companies that offer  very good quality pieces at a decent price. Very affordable. I will say again that they would do a great job with figures if they had the license. DC Colletibles just can't deliver anymore. 

^ I think the problem is that DC Collectibles doesn’t know what the hell they want to do. Icons starts, then — mid-swing, after a bunch of announcements for new figures in that line, it stops. Following other lines that were just as unceremoniously ceased. They’ve largely seemed to me to be more about statues and props, as of late.

That is, not including the Essentials line, which I finally want to get into, with the latest version of Superman. But, even just prior to that, at least to me, their figures haven’t looked too great. So, I dunno, I’m really kind of banking on Mattel’s Multiverse line, after the new stuff they debuted back at SDCC.

7 hours ago, sXeblues said:

^ I think the problem is that DC Collectibles doesn’t know what the hell they want to do. Icons starts, then — mid-swing, after a bunch of announcements for new figures in that line, it stops. Following other lines that were just as unceremoniously ceased. They’ve largely seemed to me to be more about statues and props, as of late.

That is, not including the Essentials line, which I finally want to get into, with the latest version of Superman. But, even just prior to that, at least to me, their figures haven’t looked too great. So, I dunno, I’m really kind of banking on Mattel’s Multiverse line, after the new stuff they debuted back at SDCC.

Yeah, DC Collectibles and DC Universe was may main line back in the day and the main issue with DDC was that they were in the 7 inch scale and they had fragile pegs which had a tendency to break but I always thought they looked incredibly comic accurate. These days they just do artists figures and I don't know what it is with their main line, the sculpts are all over the place imo half the Essentials line looks great while the other half is completely off.

5 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Yeah, DC Collectibles and DC Universe was may main line back in the day and the main issue with DDC was that they were in the 7 inch scale and they had fragile pegs which had a tendency to break but I always thought they looked incredibly comic accurate. These days they just do artists figures and I don't know what it is with their main line, the sculpts are all over the place imo half the Essentials line looks great while the other half is completely off.

Agreed... I was just saying elsewhere, regarding the same Superman figure I noted above, that a lot of their other versions of him had head sculpts that made him look more like Frankenstein’s Monster, than Superman. And then some of the inconsistencies in scale between figures, some of those brittle joints as you said, it did not inspire confidence. And, back in the early to mid 2000s, I went after DC Direct stuff almost exclusively for a time. It’s sad that they seem to be suffering a lack of direction, at least as far as the figures go.

37 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

Agreed... I was just saying elsewhere, regarding the same Superman figure I noted above, that a lot of their other versions of him had head sculpts that made him look more like Frankenstein’s Monster, than Superman. And then some of the inconsistencies in scale between figures, some of those brittle joints as you said, it did not inspire confidence. And, back in the early to mid 2000s, I went after DC Direct stuff almost exclusively for a time. It’s sad that they seem to be suffering a lack of direction, at least as far as the figures go.

Well its sad to a point, I think their animated, replica, and statue lines are going very strong.

2 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Well its sad to a point, I think their animated, replica, and statue lines are going very strong.

I have yet to dig into their animated line... But, having recently noted their Harley Quinn ‘expressions pack’, which I hadn’t actually realized comes with a figure, (I thought it was literally just an accessory pack), that could be my first legitimate foray into that line. Providing I can get up the funds for it.

1 hour ago, sXeblues said:

I have yet to dig into their animated line... But, having recently noted their Harley Quinn ‘expressions pack’, which I hadn’t actually realized comes with a figure, (I thought it was literally just an accessory pack), that could be my first legitimate foray into that line. Providing I can get up the funds for it.

Right now the animated line is the only thing I collect from DC Collectibles even though they have a lot of other good stuff I'm just at the point where I really have to stick to the lines I can afford with what budget I have. I'm actually very grateful that Mattel DC Multiverse waves almost always go to the bargain bin and Diamond Select never goes overboard and is very reliable in terms of their release schedule so you can always plan ahead with them. So DC is pretty affordable with the occasional Mezco figure keeping me on my toes lol

8 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Right now the animated line is the only thing I collect from DC Collectibles even though they have a lot of other good stuff I'm just at the point where I really have to stick to the lines I can afford with what budget I have. I'm actually very grateful that Mattel DC Multiverse waves almost always go to the bargain bin and Diamond Select never goes overboard and is very reliable in terms of their release schedule so you can always plan ahead with them. So DC is pretty affordable with the occasional Mezco figure keeping me on my toes lol

It’s going to be interesting to see how the Multiverse line shapes up going into 2019. If they’re actually able to produce and distribute the stuff they were showing at SDCC, and if it all holds up to the quality upgrade it appeared as though they’d actually reached, it makes me wonder if their products will continually fall into bargain bins, or if we’ll start to see a decline in how much of that stuff even makes it to brick and mortar stores.

I don't know man. the multiverse figures look good but they are making a lot of characters that either arent well known or that have a lot of figures already. Like that Lobo is badass but how many casual DC fans know who Lobo is? And how many collectors who have the SDCC Lobo will want to shell out the cash for the new one? I feel like I've owned a complete 6 inch Justice League for a long time now and its mainly due to the fact that DC characters don't really change their overall look that often compared to Marvel characters so any new character that DC makes is either one that just appeared in the comics or some completely obscure D lister. 

^ Yea, I can see that... That’s largely why I’m hoping that the seeming quality upgrade of their product, in the sculpts and articulation — if that is indeed the case — spreads by word of mouth, so as to hopefully reign in, or broaden, their selections where the demand is. But, I know that the competition for them is pretty rife.

8 hours ago, sXeblues said:

^ Yea, I can see that... That’s largely why I’m hoping that the seeming quality upgrade of their product, in the sculpts and articulation — if that is indeed the case — spreads by word of mouth, so as to hopefully reign in, or broaden, their selections where the demand is. But, I know that the competition for them is pretty rife.

I'm always looking foward to more DC figures but yeah lately most of the stuff seems like a step down even if the quality and articulation is better. I personally would love to see more Lanterns over the stuff that has been announced so far.