'Star Trek: Short Treks' To Premiere October 4th On CBS All Access

Outsiders

On 9/23/2018 at 10:54 PM, sXeblues said:

The main thing is that DSC overall is a visual reboot... At least, that’s what seems to be the fan consensus, from those fans that are giving the show a fair chance. It doesn’t help though that the powers that be don’t really make efforts to explain any of it. There are quotes to the effect that this is supposed to be ‘Prime Timeline’, but they don’t account for why everything looks so drastically different. The supplementary fiction — the novels published set within the DSC series framework — posits that both exist; The classic TOS style, alongside the DSC style, from the uniforms to the tech. Which, while it sounds good on paper, doesn’t really seem to reconcile what’s happening on screen. I can only hope that we will actually get some kind of on screen explanation.

Michael Dorn, Worf, jut a few days ago said that he thinks the creators of the show just made them look different for the heck of it because they wanted to do their own spin on the Klingon. So maybe you're right, they just wanted to update the look.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thinwheat said:

Michael Dorn, Worf, jut a few days ago said that he thinks the creators of the show just made them look different for the heck of it because they wanted to do their own spin on the Klingon. So maybe you're right, they just wanted to update the look.  

That’s part of it, for sure... There was actually a mandate from the original show runner of Discovery, Bryan Fuller — who stepped down before the show even hit the air — that said everything needs to look new and different. What I didn’t know at the time, and we all found out later, was that it was largely due to licensing issues between Paramount and CBS. Both companies hold separate copyrights on Trek. One holds the original television rights, and the other the film rights. Which is why the Abrams movies came about — because Paramount wanted to hold onto their stake, so they had to make those movies, in order to do so, if my understanding of the scenario is correct.

And so, in effect, when Discovery came about, it was made with the expressed intention to make sure that it didn’t appear too closely to any previous Trek we’d seen before. And, I think there’s actually still some behind the scenes shenanigans to try to put all of those conflicting rights issues back under one canopy, so as to make such conflicts go away. But, I dunno how likely that actually is.

8 hours ago, FASVB said:

Do as I did, Go on Netflix and watch them all. Took me 2 or 3 months to watch everything. Sometimes I watched like 5 episodes at once, but the other day I couldn't so the other day I watched a couple more and so on. DS9 has a slow pace, but picks up nice after season 3. The Dominion War is awesome.  The series finale was too disappointing. The most disappointing one. The had a good thing going and all of the sudden it derailed.  I watched TNG, DS9 and VOY in the chronological order.  Then I went back and went for ENT and TOS. And there is the cartoon too. 

I would love to do that, the trick is trying to find time to do so lol And I do what to watch them all in chronological order so I can appreciate the lore this time around. The thing I never liked about DS9 was that it was a space station and it seemed like the majority of the scenes had something to do with Quark in a bar lol

10 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I would love to do that, the trick is trying to find time to do so lol And I do what to watch them all in chronological order so I can appreciate the lore this time around. The thing I never liked about DS9 was that it was a space station and it seemed like the majority of the scenes had something to do with Quark in a bar lol

I watched like this and made sense. You can go and watch the chronologically. The only problem is at the final episode of ENT that has a reference  to TNG and if you never watched, It will not make sense.  Go slowly. Trey to watch one or two a day. 

About DS9, the star is very slow and Quark's is the  "hotpoint" of the station, because many plots have Holosuites and some shady scheme. But when the Dominion Wars starts we see a lot of action. 

Anyway, give it a try. 

22 hours ago, FASVB said:

I watched like this and made sense. You can go and watch the chronologically. The only problem is at the final episode of ENT that has a reference  to TNG and if you never watched, It will not make sense.  Go slowly. Trey to watch one or two a day. 

About DS9, the star is very slow and Quark's is the  "hotpoint" of the station, because many plots have Holosuites and some shady scheme. But when the Dominion Wars starts we see a lot of action. 

Anyway, give it a try. 

I heard about the ending of ENT and that a lot of fans were upset about it but I'm interested in seeing it play out at least. And I was really young when DS9 aired so I'm sure I will enjoy it a lot more now, I find that I'm enjoying a lot of movies and TV that I didn't care for much as a kid.

^ Yea, there are a lot of episodes to go through, lol... I am very much in need of catching myself up with all of the rest of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, that I never saw. It feels daunting as hell, to be sure. But, you just fit ‘em in where you have the time, as with just about anything else. If I wasn’t so bogged down with concurrently running anime series, I’d probably have completed all of those series, by now.

TOS and ENT are my favorites... Those two I’ve actually seen every episode of, several times, in some cases.

3 hours ago, sXeblues said:

^ Yea, there are a lot of episodes to go through, lol... I am very much in need of catching myself up with all of the rest of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, that I never saw. It feels daunting as hell, to be sure. But, you just fit ‘em in where you have the time, as with just about anything else. If I wasn’t so bogged down with concurrently running anime series, I’d probably have completed all of those series, by now.

TOS and ENT are my favorites... Those two I’ve actually seen every episode of, several times, in some cases.

I have a bad habit of starting an anime or tv series while I'm working and I end up missing 3-5 episodes entirely and then I dont feel like re-watching them and thats not something I want to do with Trek.

12 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I have a bad habit of starting an anime or tv series while I'm working and I end up missing 3-5 episodes entirely and then I dont feel like re-watching them and thats not something I want to do with Trek.

I feel you... Whenever I have to play catchup, it is truly daunting. The good thing about Trek is, it’s all already run its course. Depending on how you decide to watch it, you can start and stop wherever you want, or however you want to do it. The cool thing is, it’s completely up to you, whether you want to, and how you want to.

1 hour ago, sXeblues said:

I feel you... Whenever I have to play catchup, it is truly daunting. The good thing about Trek is, it’s all already run its course. Depending on how you decide to watch it, you can start and stop wherever you want, or however you want to do it. The cool thing is, it’s completely up to you, whether you want to, and how you want to.

Yeah, like for me I really want to watch TNG but I've only seen a handful of TOS so thats where I feel like I should start but its hard for me to get into older television in general, I've had the 60s Batman on bluray for over a year now just sitting next to my tv and I keep procrastinating on watching that for the same reason.

10 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I heard about the ending of ENT and that a lot of fans were upset about it but I'm interesting in seeing it play out at least. And I was really young when DS9 aired so I'm sure I will enjoy it a lot more now, I find that I'm enjoying a lot of movies and TV that I didn't care for much as a kid.

Hahah that's called maturity. The opposite is also true. I get myself watching somehing that I can't even remember why I watched that when I was younger. 

However, somethings are timeless and Trek in general is like that, TNG specially for me. Some episodes moved me twenty years ago and still do like  the "Inner Light"  That one is just amazing writing. 

2 hours ago, FASVB said:

Hahah that's called maturity. The opposite is also true. I get myself watching somehing that I can't even remember why I watched that when I was younger. 

However, somethings are timeless and Trek in general is like that, TNG specially for me. Some episodes moved me twenty years ago and still do like  the "Inner Light"  That one is just amazing writing. 

I have the most memories of TNG, the most major one being incredibly sick on my birthday and I had all my friends and a bunch of family over but I couldnt even get myself out of bed so my dad moved me into the living room and turned on the tv and left to go back to the party outside. And I remember I watched a 2 or 3 parter of TNG with the Borg and it was the one where they turn Picard and that was my first memory of ever liking Star Trek and then right after that I passed out for the rest of that day and didnt wake up until the next night and being so disappointed that I missed my entire birthday lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I have the most memories of TNG, the most major one being incredibly sick on my birthday and I had all my friends and a bunch of family over but I couldnt even get myself out of bed so my dad moved me into the living room and turned on the tv and left to go back to the party outside. And I remember I watched a 2 or 3 parter of TNG with the Borg and it was the one where they turn Picard and that was my first memory of ever liking Star Trek and then right after that I passed out for the rest of that day and didnt wake up until the next night and being so disappointed that I missed my entire birthday lol

Now you have the time to catch up. Locutus of Borg! The borg episodes of VOY were very cool too. I'm looking forward to thet Borg fiure that DST is going to release. 

7 minutes ago, FASVB said:

Now you have the time to catch up. Locutus of Borg! The borg episodes of VOY were very cool too. I'm looking forward to thet Borg fiure that DST is going to release. 

Did they announce that DST was going to introduce the Borg? They will always be my favorite Trek villain.

2 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Did they announce that DST was going to introduce the Borg? They will always be my favorite Trek villain.

In time 1:30

2 minutes ago, FASVB said:

In time 1:30

Great, more army builders! ? Definitely going to pick a few of these guys up.

13 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Great, more army builders! ? Definitely going to pick a few of these guys up.

I watch this video and remember that Rogue is coming!!! 

7 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Yeah, like for me I really want to watch TNG but I've only seen a handful of TOS so thats where I feel like I should start but its hard for me to get into older television in general, I've had the 60s Batman on bluray for over a year now just sitting next to my tv and I keep procrastinating on watching that for the same reason.

I wouldn’t worry about beginning with TOS, as a set up to get into TNG... There are a few references to TOS, and a few of the characters from it appear in TNG. But by and large, TNG is its own thing. Anything you might need to know from TOS — and there’s very little, in the grand scheme of the show — they will get you up to speed on. I know folks who have never even seen TOS, amd it didn’t disservice them at all, going straight into TNG, DS9 VOY or ENT.

Oh man, being sick on your birthday! But, at least you got them sweet TNG memories out of the bargain. LOL! ?

11 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I wouldn’t worry about beginning with TOS, as a set up to get into TNG... There are a few references to TOS, and a few of the characters from it appear in TNG. But by and large, TNG is its own thing. Anything you might need to know from TOS — and there’s very little, in the grand scheme of the show — they will get you up to speed on. I know folks who have never even seen TOS, amd it didn’t disservice them at all, going straight into TNG, DS9 VOY or ENT.

I know they are all their own thing for the most part, I just like seeing the connectivity and if I'm going to binge them all anyways I may as well start from the ?

Oh man, being sick on your birthday! But, at least you got them sweet TNG memories out of the bargain. LOL! ?

That is really my only memory of that time lol I have no clue what I got for my birthday, who came to it, I don't even know what house I lived in back then but I remember Picard turning into a Borg lol

^ I was thinking about it a little bit, and I remember two birthdays where I was actually pretty sick... The first was a summer trip to my grandparents’ farm. They would throw me ‘summer birthdays’ since I didn’t tend to see them during the winter, when my actual birthday was.

And, talk about awkward; I remember being sick in bed — which had a sort of camping tent over top of it, affixed to the matrice — and my grandmother parading in my relatives and friends of theirs, sometimes singularly, other times a couple at a time, to look in on me and wish me a happy birthday. Which, suffice to say, I did not very much enjoy, since I hated being put on the spot during the normal business of a birthday, like opening presents in front of everyone.

The other time, I was in my mid to late teens, and I had a fever that wouldn’t quit, so my mom, her boyfriend and my sister all rushed me to the hospital, where it was found I had a really bad case of flu. My blood pressure was up, and everything. I just remember cracking a joke to my mom as I sat on the hospital bed, ‘Happy Birthday to me, huh?’ That was, in a word, crazy.

^ I was thinking about it a little bit, and I remember two birthdays where I was actually pretty sick... The first was a summer trip to my grandparents’ farm. They would throw me ‘summer birthdays’ since I didn’t tend to see them during the winter, when my actual birthday was.

And, talk about awkward; I remember being sick in bed — which had a sort of camping tent over top of it, affixed to the matrice — and my grandmother parading in my relatives and friends of theirs, sometimes singularly, other times a couple at a time, to look in on me and wish me a happy birthday. Which, suffice to say, I did not very much enjoy, since I hated being put on the spot during the normal business of a birthday, like opening presents in front of everyone.

The other time, I was in my mid to late teens, and I had a fever that wouldn’t quit, so my mom, her boyfriend and my sister all rushed me to the hospital, where it was found I had a really bad case of flu. My blood pressure was up, and everything. I just remember cracking a joke to my mom as I sat on the hospital bed, ‘Happy Birthday to me, huh?’ That was, in a word, crazy.

That sounds pretty similar to mine. I always feel uncomfortable when people come over to say happy birthday and give me a present, I don't really convey sincerity well lol

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

That sounds pretty similar to mine. I always feel uncomfortable when people come over to say happy birthday and give me a present, I don't really convey sincerity well lol

I was the same way, as a kid... I remember this other grandparents’ summer birthday, where I was gifted two Thunderhawks, (the car from the cartoon M.A.S.K), by two different relatives, one who’d arrived later in the day, after I’d already opened the first one. I was legit thrilled to have gotten the first one, though incredibly embarrassed to have to open it up and show it off in front of all these relatives I barely knew.

Then I get the second one.

I remember distinctly walking up to the relative in question and, rather than thanking and maybe hugging her for the gift, as was apparently everyone’s expectation, I handed it back to her and said flatly, ‘I already got one’. My grandmother, being ever the host, laughed and mock scolded me — but I knew she was pretty peeved.

But hell, I was a kid. And, I’d just gotten the same toy, twice. To me, even then, that was a whole other slot for a brand new, different toy, that I could’ve gotten. And, after spending almost an hour opening presents in front of everybody, which probably could’ve counted as mental duress, lol, I was in no mood for mock niceties anymore.

4 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I was the same way, as a kid... I remember this other grandparents’ summer birthday, where I was gifted two Thunderhawks, (the car from the cartoon M.A.S.K), by two different relatives, one who’d arrived later in the day, after I’d already opened the first one. I was legit thrilled to have gotten the first one, though incredibly embarrassed to have to open it up and show it off in front of all these relatives I barely knew.

Then I get the second one.

I remember distinctly walking up to the relative in question and, rather than thanking and maybe hugging her for the gift, as was apparently everyone’s expectation, I handed it back to her and said flatly, ‘I already got one’. My grandmother, being ever the host, laughed and mock scolded me — but I knew she was pretty peeved.

But hell, I was a kid. And, I’d just gotten the same toy, twice. To me, even then, that was a whole other slot for a brand new, different toy, that I could’ve gotten. And, after spending almost an hour opening presents in front of everybody, which probably could’ve counted as mental duress, lol, I was in no mood for mock niceties anymore.

Oh man, I swear every birthday and Christmas as a kid I would get a present from one of my relatives and get something I already had and I always felt so bad afterwards for both the reason you mentioned but also cause I'm pretty much denying the gift they picked out for me and I always hated going to the store later to pick out my replacement present and it was always some lame thing I didn't really care for because I just wanted the whole thing to end. 

Oh man, I swear every birthday and Christmas as a kid I would get a present from one of my relatives and get something I already had and I always felt so bad afterwards for both the reason you mentioned but also cause I'm pretty much denying the gift they picked out for me and I always hated going to the store later to pick out my replacement present and it was always some lame thing I didn't really care for because I just wanted the whole thing to end. 

Yea, I feel you... I felt so bad about it, afterward. Because, I think I was letting the frustration I had over having to be put on the spot to begin with, fuel my disenchantment with now having been given a duplicate present. Especially years later, and even now, both because it wasn’t really nice or fair to the relative in question, but also because I’d almost give anything to still have either one of those damn Thunderhawks, lol.

24 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

Yea, I feel you... I felt so bad about it, afterward. Because, I think I was letting the frustration I had over having to be put on the spot to begin with, fuel my disenchantment with now having been given a duplicate present. Especially years later, and even now, both because it wasn’t really nice or fair to the relative in question, but also because I’d almost give anything to still have either one of those damn Thunderhawks, lol.

This exact thing actually changed the whole way we do presents at my house. My grandparents just give money, my aunts and uncles call ahead to ask for something they can get, and and for everyone in my family we just ask or tell eachother what we want. No more surprise presents, no more anticipation, its actually gotten to the point that we just give the presents before the actual day now, its really sad.