Jump to content
Outsiders

'Star Trek: Short Treks' To Premiere October 4th On CBS All Access

Recommended Posts

CBS All Access today announced that STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS, four stand-alone short stories, will begin rolling out on Thursday, Oct. 4, in anticipation of the early 2019 return of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. Each short will run approximately 10-15 minutes and will be an opportunity for fans to dive deeper into key themes and characters that fit into STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and the expanding "Star Trek" universe.

Each of the STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS four stories will center on a key character, including familiar faces from STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: Mary Wiseman (Tilly), Doug Jones (Saru) and Rainn Wilson (Harry Mudd), in a short he will also direct, as well as a new character unfamiliar to fans, Craft, played by Aldis Hodge.

The four installments of STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS will roll out as follows:

"Runaway" - Thursday, Oct. 4

Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

"Calypso" - Thursday, Nov. 8

After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Teleplay by Michael Chabon. Story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon.

Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

"The Brightest Star" - Thursday, Dec. 6

Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt.

Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

"The Escape Artist" - Thursday, Jan. 3

Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship - just in time to try out his latest con.

Written by Michael McMahan.

Directed by Rainn Wilson.

STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS is the latest expansion of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and the "Star Trek" franchise on CBS All Access. CBS All Access also recently announced plans for a new untitled "Star Trek" series featuring Sir Patrick Stewart reprising his iconic role as Jean-Luc Picard.

About STAR TREK: DISCOVERY

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY follows the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new life forms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The series features a new ship and new characters while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers. The first season is now available on CBS All Access, CBS Network's digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service, and is distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media's Space channel and OTT service CraveTV. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.

Short_Treks.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never got into the Star Trek series, but I did enjoy the new movies. Nice to see that Dwight was able to get some more work. I love Rainn Wilson and feel that his talents are under used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thinwheat said:

They're really trying to get Star Trek back into the front of people's minds. I'm just glad Picard will be coming back. 

Yeah I'm looking foward to Picard and while I did enjoy Discovery it just didn't feel like Star Trek to me whereas The Orville felt extremely like Star Trek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are trying, but is almost impossible to beat the classics. The only thing that I am looking forward is the new Picard centered show.  I am really hoping that they don't screw this up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I’m intrigued by the prospect of these shorts... I’d certainly be curious to see them, having mostly enjoyed Discovery season one. I’ll be most interested to see whether or not they seem to be tipping the hat of the second season’s tone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just really want to know what the deal with the Klingons is, like I really want an explanation for why they look like orcs instead of how they usually look in every single series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 7:06 AM, NeedlessImmortals said:

I just really want to know what the deal with the Klingons is, like I really want an explanation for why they look like orcs instead of how they usually look in every single series.

The main thing is that DSC overall is a visual reboot... At least, that’s what seems to be the fan consensus, from those fans that are giving the show a fair chance. It doesn’t help though that the powers that be don’t really make efforts to explain any of it. There are quotes to the effect that this is supposed to be ‘Prime Timeline’, but they don’t account for why everything looks so drastically different. The supplementary fiction — the novels published set within the DSC series framework — posits that both exist; The classic TOS style, alongside the DSC style, from the uniforms to the tech. Which, while it sounds good on paper, doesn’t really seem to reconcile what’s happening on screen. I can only hope that we will actually get some kind of on screen explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

The main thing is that DSC overall is a visual reboot... At least, that’s what seems to be the fan consensus, from those fans that are giving the show a fair chance. It doesn’t help though that the powers that be don’t really make efforts to explain any of it. There are quotes to the effect that this is supposed to be ‘Prime Timeline’, but they don’t account for why everything looks so drastically different. The supplementary fiction — the novels published set within the DSC series framework — posits that both exist; The classic TOS style, alongside the DSC style, from the uniforms to the tech. Which, while it sounds good on paper, doesn’t really seem to reconcile what’s happening on screen. I can only hope that we will actually get some kind of on screen explanation.

Dude. As a die hard Trek fan, I don't even know why I bother watch this show. It is a pile of crap. I am with Jay C on this. They completely disregard the original lore and came up with stupid things to explain what can't be explained. 

There is no excuse for how bad it is. Except for the names used, I see no resemblance to any other Trek show Even Enterprise is more Trek than this. 

They better do a hell of a job next season or this show will not see a season 3. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FASVB said:

Dude. As a die hard Trek fan, I don't even know why I bother watch this show. It is a pile of crap. I am with Jay C on this. They completely disregard the original lore and came up with stupid things to explain what can't be explained. 

There is no excuse for how bad it is. Except for the names used, I see no resemblance to any other Trek show Even Enterprise is more Trek than this. 

They better do a hell of a job next season or this show will not see a season 3. 

 

We’ll just have to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sXeblues said:

The main thing is that DSC overall is a visual reboot... At least, that’s what seems to be the fan consensus, from those fans that are giving the show a fair chance. It doesn’t help though that the powers that be don’t really make efforts to explain any of it. There are quotes to the effect that this is supposed to be ‘Prime Timeline’, but they don’t account for why everything looks so drastically different. The supplementary fiction — the novels published set within the DSC series framework — posits that both exist; The classic TOS style, alongside the DSC style, from the uniforms to the tech. Which, while it sounds good on paper, doesn’t really seem to reconcile what’s happening on screen. I can only hope that we will actually get some kind of on screen explanation.

I thought this was set in the same universe as the new movies or am I mistaken? I always wondered why even in Star Trek Into Darkness the Klingons looked relatively normal compared to the ones in this show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I thought this was set in the same universe as the new movies or am I mistaken? I always wondered why even in Star Trek Into Darkness the Klingons looked relatively normal compared to the ones in this show.

That was an early point of speculation... That Discovery might be a part of the ‘Kelvin Timeline’, as those movies are referred to now. And, some naysayers of the show still make that claim, seeing as they don’t particularly care for it, and don’t want to wait and see if there’s an explanation for all of the inconsistencies, within the show itself — as has been promised. But, for all intents and purposes, the only semi-official word is that it is considered by the showrunners to be ‘Prime’, IE, in the same universe as TOS, all the way up through to the final TNG film, Nemesis.

Which, to me, doesn’t actually quite align, either. But, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. Especially seeing as they’ve cast actors to play captain Pike, the original ‘Number One’ and Spock, in season 2. It gives me some little hope that they’re actually planning to explain some of those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

That was an early point of speculation... That Discovery might be a part of the ‘Kelvin Timeline’, as those movies are referred to now. And, some naysayers of the show still make that claim, seeing as they don’t particularly care for it, and don’t want to wait and see if there’s an explanation for all of the inconsistencies, within the show itself — as has been promised. But, for all intents and purposes, the only semi-official word is that it is considered by the showrunners to be ‘Prime’, IE, in the same universe as TOS, all the way up through to the final TNG film, Nemesis.

Which, to me, doesn’t actually quite align, either. But, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. Especially seeing as they’ve cast actors to play captain Pike, the original ‘Number One’ and Spock, in season 2. It gives me some little hope that they’re actually planning to explain some of those things.

Ah ok, yeah I'm not very knowledgeable about Star Trek even though it has always been a part of my life in some way or another, I'd actually really want to re watch everything so I can finally see all the shows I missed when it was airing. As for Discovery, I heard they are aiming for a more lighter tone in the 2nd season but I kinda liked the dark tone they had, felt very cinematic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Ah ok, yeah I'm not very knowledgeable about Star Trek even though it has always been a part of my life in some way or another, I'd actually really want to re watch everything so I can finally see all the shows I missed when it was airing. As for Discovery, I heard they are aiming for a more lighter tone in the 2nd season but I kinda liked the dark tone they had, felt very cinematic.

Trek was something that kicked off for me very early on, thanks to my dad’s love of the original series... At the time, TNG had just started up, and he would jokingly refer to that as my Trek, whereas TOS was what he considered to be his Trek. Later on, after he passed away, I ventured through all of TOS and found that that was very much my preferred Trek, as well. I watched a lot of TNG, but not all of it. Some of DS9, which I really need to get into again someday, to give it a proper watch all the way through. And then, up until Enterprise, Voyager was the series I’d seen the most of.

Enterprise hit during a tumultuous time in my life, and as a weekly sort of saving grace, it became my second all-time favorite series. And, it’s really only because I found that I’ve liked and loved aspects of all of the series and movies, that DSC doesn’t hit me nearly as negatively as it does some folks. I do see the problems it has — and have thoroughly ripped a few of them apart, in my own episode reviews. But, I try to be hopeful, and as positive as possible. Whether that’s to do with Trek, Star Wars, or whatever else fits into my interests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

Trek was something that kicked off for me very early on, thanks to my dad’s love of the original series... At the time, TNG had just started up, and he would jokingly refer to that as my Trek, whereas TOS was what he considered to be his Trek. Later on, after he passed away, I ventured through all of TOS and found that that was very much my preferred Trek, as well. I watched a lot of TNG, but not all of it. Some of DS9, which I really need to get into again someday, to give it a proper watch all the way through. And then, up until Enterprise, Voyager was the series I’d seen the most of.

Enterprise hit during a tumultuous time in my life, and as a weekly sort of saving grace, it became my second all-time favorite series. And, it’s really only because I found that I’ve liked and loved aspects of all of the series and movies, that DSC doesn’t hit me nearly as negatively as it does some folks. I do see the problems it has — and have thoroughly ripped a few of them apart, in my own episode reviews. But, I try to be hopeful, and as positive as possible. Whether that’s to do with Trek, Star Wars, or whatever else fits into my interests.

I try to look for the good in everything much like the new TMNT show lol but just like you, I can totally see and understand why people hate Discovery but there was also some pretty cool stuff in there. I loved the way they did the ship jumps, I liked the whole evil dimension plot, I thought this was one of the few shows that did a gay relationship right without it being incredibly annoying. I liked the majority of the actors aside from the dude who played the Klingon/human whatever, that was weird lol I also hate Michel's hair, it was cool in the pilot but this whole half afro thing she has going on gets under my skin every time I see it lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I try to look for the good in everything much like the new TMNT show lol but just like you, I can totally see and understand why people hate Discovery but there was also some pretty cool stuff in there. I loved the way they did the ship jumps, I liked the whole evil dimension plot, I thought this was one of the few shows that did a gay relationship right without it being incredibly annoying. I liked the majority of the actors aside from the dude who played the Klingon/human whatever, that was weird lol I also hate Michel's hair, it was cool in the pilot but this whole half afro thing she has going on gets under my skin every time I see it lol

I definitely agree with most of your impressions on it... There was definitely a lot more good going on than people give it credit for. But, you could see that the direction in places was a bit wonky, and some of the choices they made, just didn’t really makes sense. Still, it is what it is, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

I definitely agree with most of your impressions on it... There was definitely a lot more good going on than people give it credit for. But, you could see that the direction in places was a bit wonky, and some of the choices they made, just didn’t really makes sense. Still, it is what it is, lol.

Oh and I don't really like Tilly, not that her character is bad its just that I don't feel like she belongs on the ship, she doesn't act professional at all I would have rather her had been a stowaway or something instead of a starfleet officer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Oh and I don't really like Tilly, not that her character is bad its just that I don't feel like she belongs on the ship, she doesn't act professional at all I would have rather her had been a stowaway or something instead of a starfleet officer.

I couldn’t agree more... I mean, I’m just short of actually full on loathing her character. If I had to pick one overall thing I dislike about the show, it would be very hard not to choose her, above all else. From her squirrelly way of carrying herself, her unprofessionalism, as you said. She makes the show hard to watch, sometimes. I kind of wish it was her evil Mirror Universe version that stuck around, lol. At least there she was somewhat tolerable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

I couldn’t agree more... I mean, I’m just short of actually full on loathing her character. If I had to pick one overall thing I dislike about the show, it would be very hard not to choose her, above all else. From her squirrelly way of carrying herself, her unprofessionalism, as you said. She makes the show hard to watch, sometimes. I kind of wish it was her evil Mirror Universe version that stuck around, lol. At least there she was somewhat tolerable.

Every time shes on screen I feel like the whole general tone shifts and she becomes some kind of high school anime character or something lol And yeah her mirror version was much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Every time shes on screen I feel like the whole general tone shifts and she becomes some kind of high school anime character or something lol And yeah her mirror version was much better.

Very much agreed. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like all the show, but I am mostly a TNG fan.  Te one I grew up with and mostly identify. So that is why I am excited to the new Picard show.

About DSC, I jsut think the whole thing is wrong. The setting, the characters. The thing with the mirror universe, man that was although full of action, so weird and nothing like the original thing. Like I said, even ENT did a better job in exploring that. 

About Pike, he was the Captain in the first aired pilot  and then they changed the whole thing. If they explain that in the show it will catch my attention, but the most absurdly annoying thing is those things that they call Klingons.  After all the trouble in ENT to explain why they look so human in TOS, they went and threw all of that away. 

PS: I also hate Tilly. She is beyond stupid and looks like an anime character. (I love anime, most of them), but there is a time and a place for everything and she just doesn't fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TNG is definitely my favorite trek as well and had the best characters imo. I tried watching DS9 while it aired but I was bored by it, VOY was better but got weird in the later seasons, I actually really enjoyed ENT. I really want to rewatch all these shows again to see if my opinion has changed at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

TNG is definitely my favorite trek as well and had the best characters imo. I tried watching DS9 while it aired but I was bored by it, VOY was better but got weird in the later seasons, I actually really enjoyed ENT. I really want to rewatch all these shows again to see if my opinion has changed at all. 

Do as I did, Go on Netflix and watch them all. Took me 2 or 3 months to watch everything. Sometimes I watched like 5 episodes at once, but the other day I couldn't so the other day I watched a couple more and so on. DS9 has a slow pace, but picks up nice after season 3. The Dominion War is awesome.  The series finale was too disappointing. The most disappointing one. The had a good thing going and all of the sudden it derailed.  I watched TNG, DS9 and VOY in the chronological order.  Then I went back and went for ENT and TOS. And there is the cartoon too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, GojiBill said:

I never got into the Star Trek series, but I did enjoy the new movies. Nice to see that Dwight was able to get some more work. I love Rainn Wilson and feel that his talents are under used.

I agree. He's hilarious and he's a pretty good actor too. I miss seeing him in stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Find Action Figures on Ebay

×
×
  • Create New...
Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE