McFarlane Toys 7" Star Trek Captain James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard Figures Review & Images

JayC

McFarlane Toys goes where multiple toy companies have gone before with their new line of 7" Star Trek figures. The first two figures released are the two most iconic captains in the Star Trek universe, Captain James T. Kirk from The Original Series and Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The figure packaging features basic-looking cardbacks color-coded to the characters with the names and an image for each one. The back shows the figures as well as other Star Trek related product the company plans to do. The next two figures look to be Leonard Nimoy's Spock and Michael Burnham from Star Trek: Discovery.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%2000__scaled_600.jpg

The figures themselves, while not bad, don't quite live up to the sculpting and paint detailing I expect from McFarlane Toys. The headsculpts for both figures are fairly solid, but the paint applications detract from the likenesses for both characters. Both figures have what almost looks like a strange blush on their cheeks, and I really don't like the paint used on Picard's eyes.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%2031__scaled_600.jpg

Picard's paint also suffers on the body with what seems to be the black portion of the costume bleeding through on the red of the torso section. This makes Picard's uniform look dirty. Red also bleeds onto the black areas around the shoulder.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%2034__scaled_600.jpg

Kirk's paint applications on the body are more solid looking than Picard's, but I don't like how they sculpted Kirk's delta shield on his shirt. It rises up way too high on the figure and has too much black showing around the edges. You also get some strange lines up the side of Kirk's torso due to the figure's construction. I do like that they used a harder plastic on the shirt for Kirk instead of the rubber-like material the older Art Asylum figures used which just didn't hold up well over time.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%206__scaled_600.jpg

Picard comes in the uniform he started wearing on season 3 of the TV series. Other than the aforementioned paint application issues, I think the figure looks pretty accurate.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%204__scaled_600.jpg

For accessories, both figures come with a circle plastic display base with the Star Trek delta shield on the top. The stands are very generic looking but keep the figure standing and won't take up a lot of shelf space, which is nice. Kirk comes with a Type 2 phaser pistol, communicator and phaser rifle which he used in some of the promo images of the show and the second pilot episode, "Where No Man Has Gone Before". The communicator is sculpted in the open position, and the flap is not articulated. The rifle has the most detailing, while the communicator and pistol have very basic paint applications.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%2046__scaled_600.jpg

Picard comes with a type 2 phaser that appears based on the ones used in later seasons or even in the Voyager TV series. He also comes with a flute he first received in the episode, "The Inner Light". Due to limited articulation, Picard can't hold the flute up to his mouth and Kirk can't really hold the rifle in any kind of decent pose. Both figures also come with an extra right hand.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%2042__scaled_600.jpg

Articulation is pretty basic though arguably good for a McFarlane figure. You get things like single-hinged elbows and knees and no kind of ab-crunch or ankle pivot, but it's still better than what you see with most McFarlane figures.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%2022__scaled_600.jpg

At the end of the day, McFarlane offers nothing terribly revolutionary about these figures. They aren't bad, but they aren't great either. If you already have these characters from the older 7" Art Asylum line, then I would recommend you pass on these. If you don't, they might be worth checking out. The figures do stand a bit shorter than those older Art Asylum figures.

McFarlane-Star-Trek%2016__scaled_600.jpg

You can purchase these figures now at Megalopolis Toys.

I really like these and hope the line continues. I ordered Picard online and have had a chance to see the Kirk figure. I think the likenesses are way better the the DST versions, and I think I can live with the limited articulation based on what I saw in the review. They really need to get prototype pics of Spock out there to keep interest alive.

12 hours ago, GojiBill said:

When did McFarlane get the Star Trek license? Sneaky buggers, just like how they snapped up Stranger Things. Love the Demogorgon by the way.

They announced it last year. DST still has their Star Trek License as well though I think McFarlane can only make stuff for the new show.

I own both of these and I must say I'm very impressed and the price is way too good to pass up. I'm really hoping they are able to do the rest of the core crews from both shows and if they release these as fast as their Stranger Things line then it could be possible.

5 hours ago, JayC said:

They announced it last year. DST still has their Star Trek License as well though I think McFarlane can only make stuff for the new show.

Yeah, it's actually kinda confusing. McFarlane's making the 7" Kirk and Picard, but DST has shown a 7" Borg figure they plan on releasing. I say give the figures to McFarlane and let DST focus on the ships.

7 hours ago, JayC said:

Thanks, I missed that one. Granted I don’t follow Star Trek news closely, I usually catch wind of McFarlane actions.

Overall, I like these, but I wish they came with more accessories, and I hope McFarlane doesn’t do anything silly like change the scale/articulation scheme in the middle of the line (I’m looking at you, Walking Dead) or discontinue the line before the two basic Enterprise crews are finished.

In mentioned this over on Youtube, but I’m really not feeling these likenesses... Both aren’t that great. But, I would say that Kirk’s is a fair bit better than the Picard one. I still have a soft spot for the old Art Asylum / Diamond Select figures. But, I’d at least like to pick up this Kirk at some point, as he’s my favorite Star Trek captain.

I'm still wondering if Mezco is ever going to finish their OG crew.

I finally had a chance to open my McFarlane Picard this morning. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the articulation. To me it seems on par with the DST (non-rubber shirt) Next Gen figures, maybe even a little better since the new Picard can spread his legs for an 'action stance'. I only wish the red of his shirt was a little brighter. I think the likeness is pretty good too. Can't wait for Kirk now!

18 hours ago, dchimpy said:

Here's a few pics with what few other DST Next Gen Trek figures I have. The Data is custom using a Geordi (I think) body with the Art Asylum Nemesis head and hands.

72tkb1F.jpg?1

I6KDi8f.jpg?1

xDxvoRl.jpg?1

IkimyGp.jpg?1

Man I thought the Picard head sculpt was good but after seeing these I think his is the most inaccurate of the 4. 

On 9/22/2018 at 5:59 PM, dchimpy said:

Here's a few pics with what few other DST Next Gen Trek figures I have. The Data is custom using a Geordi (I think) body with the Art Asylum Nemesis head and hands.

72tkb1F.jpg?1

I6KDi8f.jpg?1

xDxvoRl.jpg?1

IkimyGp.jpg?1

I am so not feeling Picard’s head sculpt... But all of these figures, especially including the custom Data, look decent together. I feel like the other figures all have better overall likenesses than Picard’s.

I’m really going to be curious to see what the Michael Burnham (Discovery) figure ends up looking like. It’s a shame that they already seem to have messed up the scales between Kirk and Picard. Picard being a bit taller, as Jay C pointed out in the review, whereas I think they’re actually about the same height, in real life.

I wish there was the same sense of comparable sizing as lines like Marvel Legends, and the former Art Asylum / Diamond Select figures had.