'Dragon Ball Super: Broly' Release Date Announced By Funimation Films

Outsiders

The wait is over, and the battle date is set! Super Saiyans Goku and Vegeta will gather to face their most powerful foe ever on January 16th – the official theatrical opening date for Dragon Ball Super: Broly, announced today by Funimation Films.  The 20th film from the franchise and first from the Dragon Ball Super series, Dragon Ball Super: Broly is based on the original story, screenplay and character designs of creator Akira Toriyama and features an updated art style reminiscent of the classic bestselling Dragon Ball manga series. To celebrate the new film, Funimation will host a star-studded red carpet world premiere of the English dub on Thursday, December 13th at the historic TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Expected guests will include the stars of the English cast, celebrity guests and studio executives.

“We’re thrilled to finally share the official opening date of ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’ with fans since first announcing the acquisition in July, ” said Gen Fukunaga, CEO and President of Funimation. “From its updated art style to the assembly of canon characters new and old, ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’ is sure to please fans. Creator Akira Toriyama’s imagination and masterful storytelling truly shine through in this exciting new movie.”

As earlier announced and as part of the film’s promotion, a Dragon Ball Super: Broly panel will take place at New York Comic Con 2018 on Friday, October 5th at 6:00 p.m. in the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden. The newly expanded list of confirmed special guests consists of Masako Nozawa (original Japanese voice of Goku), the film’s director Tatsuya Nagamine, Sean Schemmel (current English voice of Goku) Christopher Sabat (current English voice of Vegeta), Monica Rial (current English voice of Bulma and panel emcee), Jason Douglas (current English voice of Beerus), Ian Sinclair (current English voice of Whis) and Vic Mignogna (reprising his role as English voice of Broly).

Dragon Ball Super: Broly follows the events of the hit anime series Dragon Ball Super, the first new Dragon Ball storyline from original creator Akira Toriyama in more than 18 years. Since premiering in summer 2015, Dragon Ball Super has propelled the popularity of the franchise globally – with both lifelong fans and a new generation of children and teens. The last Dragon Ball film, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ (2015), was a box office hit – grossing $8M in North America to become the first independent film to make the Top 10 list of highest grossing anime films domestically.

DragonBallZ_Broly.jpg

DBS_Broly.jpg

12 hours ago, Thinwheat said:

I'm going to have to take a trip to Japan before the end of the year to see this early! haha! I'm really looking forward to it! 

The dub will probably be released soon afterwards, the last 2 movies seemed to come out pretty quickly.

I’ve heard that the animation in Super pales in comparison to the former series... But, it’s certainly built up a pretty strong following, regardless.

8 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I’ve heard that the animation in Super pales in comparison to the former series... But, it’s certainly built up a pretty strong following, regardless.

Yeah they cut out a lot of the animation budget but its nice being able to watch Dragon Ball again in any form. 

12 hours ago, sXeblues said:

^ I’d imagine that’s why it has such a following. The DB fanbase is strong, lol.

I'll say, for a lot of people DBZ was their first introduction to anime in general.

10 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I'll say, for a lot of people DBZ was their first introduction to anime in general.

This is true... Either that or Pokemon. I had a passing interest in them both, at the time. As well as a few other anime that Cartoon Network would air, like Ronin Warriors. But, my love for anime kicked in due to my cousin’s introducing me to Final Fantasy VII, which had very anime-inspired character designs. And afterward, I latched onto things like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim. So, it was a little different for me. But, I can definitely respect DBZ and Pokemon being influences for other folks.

2 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

This is true... Either that or Pokemon. I had a passing interest in them both, at the time. As well as a few other anime that Cartoon Network would air, like Ronin Warriors. But, my love for anime kicked in due to my cousin’s introducing me to Final Fantasy VII, which had very anime-inspired character designs. And afterward, I latched onto things like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim. So, it was a little different for me. But, I can definitely respect DBZ and Pokemon being influences for other folks.

I fall under the introduced to anime by Cartoon Network Showing of Dragon Ball Z in the afternoons.

8 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

I fall under the introduced to anime by Cartoon Network Showing of Dragon Ball Z in the afternoons.

I kinda wish I had gotten more into it, back in the day... I think I got a little overwhelmed, after getting into anime and then circling back to watch DBZ with more focus. And then to find out that the show was tons of episodes in length, and, at the time, it was nigh impossible to find dvds or tapes of it. So, I felt like it would be an impossible task to try to keep up with.

5 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I kinda wish I had gotten more into it, back in the day... I think I got a little overwhelmed, after getting into anime and then circling back to watch DBZ with more focus. And then to find out that the show was tons of episodes in length, and, at the time, it was nigh impossible to find dvds or tapes of it. So, I felt like it would be an impossible task to try to keep up with.

I found out recently that I had never actually watched the majority of the Cell Saga because back in the day I often had to go to Orthodontist to get my braces checked on and my mom would always take me to the mall afterwards to get the 2 new VHS copies of DBZ and funny enough Pokemon that came out every month, I also remember one of those times getting Final Fantasy VII and VIII so thats another thing we have in common lol But anyways, for a short time I stopped going for some reason I don't remember but by the time we found a new Orthodontist the Buu Saga had started so I picked up from that and got all the way up to Super Buu before I got my braces off and never finished the series until many years later lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I found out recently that I had never actually watched the majority of the Cell Saga because back in the day I often had to go to Orthodontist to get my braces checked on and my mom would always take me to the mall afterwards to get the 2 new VHS copies of DBZ and funny enough Pokemon that came out every month, I also remember one of those times getting Final Fantasy VII and VIII so thats another thing we have in common lol But anyways, for a short time I stopped going for some reason I don't remember but by the time we found a new Orthodontist the Buu Saga had started so I picked up from that and got all the way up to Super Buu before I got my braces off and never finished the series until many years later lol

Oh man, what I wouldn’t have given to have found episodes on VHS — I’m envious of you, there! The closest I’d ever gotten, was the original Pokemon movie on VHS, which I actually bought, and owned right up until my VCR ‘ate the tape’. That bummed me out. And then, I remember I found a steelbook of two DBZ DVDs, which I think involves the first appearance of Trunks? I don’t really recall too well anymore, as it was a mad long time ago, and I ended up having to sell them to make ends meet. I do remember thinking that I was missing out on a lot of the details from whatever had come before it, though. So, I kind of resigned myself to the fact that I wasn’t missing out too much by not having it, lol.

34 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

Oh man, what I wouldn’t have given to have found episodes on VHS — I’m envious of you, there! The closest I’d ever gotten, was the original Pokemon movie on VHS, which I actually bought, and owned right up until my VCR ‘ate the tape’. That bummed me out. And then, I remember I found a steelbook of two DBZ DVDs, which I think involves the first appearance of Trunks? I don’t really recall too well anymore, as it was a mad long time ago, and I ended up having to sell them to make ends meet. I do remember thinking that I was missing out on a lot of the details from whatever had come before it, though. So, I kind of resigned myself to the fact that I wasn’t missing out too much by not having it, lol.

Don't even get me started on my VCR nightmares lol but yeah until the recent Dragon Ball Abridged episodes I had thought I had seen the entire Cell Saga as a kid, luckily I have the whole series on dvd now.

• Like 1

The last Dragon Ball sow I watched was GT. Unfortunately I didn't get to see Super yet.  I have to find somewhere to download the episodes os something. 

On 9/25/2018 at 5:48 PM, FASVB said:

The last Dragon Ball sow I watched was GT. Unfortunately I didn't get to see Super yet.  I have to find somewhere to download the episodes os something. 

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put links so just do a google search for "watchcartoononline" they have just about every cartoon show you can think of that you can watch for free both dubbed and subbed.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:43 PM, LimitedEdition said:

Dragon Ball Z is having quite the impressive resurgence in popularity. 

DBZ was huge in the late 90s and early 2000s. I think Dragon Ball Z Abridged played a part in the resurgence, it got me and my friends back into it.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, FASVB said:

GT was gawd awful in terms of story and fights. The Super Saiyan 4 transformation and the Shadow Dragon concept were the few good things that came of it.

7 hours ago, GojiBill said:

GT was gawd awful in terms of story and fights. The Super Saiyan 4 transformation and the Shadow Dragon concept were the few good things that came of it.

I agree. To me, the best one is DBZ.  And actually my favorite character is not evem Goku, is Gohan. 

7 hours ago, GojiBill said:

DBZ was huge in the late 90s and early 2000s. I think Dragon Ball Z Abridged played a part in the resurgence, it got me and my friends back into it.

I my Country these animes NEVER get out of fashion. People here love it and it has become forever a classic. 

5 hours ago, FASVB said:

I agree. To me, the best one is DBZ.  And actually my favorite character is not evem Goku, is Gohan. 

Absolutely, DBZ was the best. Super is a nice continuation, but the power scaling is all over the place. New transformations pop up far faster in Super as well, but it’s still far more entertaining than GT. The multiverse and new deity hierarchies are interesting concepts. For all my gripes, I still enjoy watching Super.

Frieza has always been my favorite character. Such a pompous and sadistic villain that completely owned the heroes for an extended period of time. I hated his original dub voice (chain smoking grandma), but his Japanese voice is perfect. His new dub voice, Chris Ayres, is a great match as well.

3 hours ago, GojiBill said:

Absolutely, DBZ was the best. Super is a nice continuation, but the power scaling is all over the place. New transformations pop up far faster in Super as well, but it’s still far more entertaining than GT. The multiverse and new deity hierarchies are interesting concepts. For all my gripes, I still enjoy watching Super.

Frieza has always been my favorite character. Such a pompous and sadistic villain that completely owned the heroes for an extended period of time. I hated his original dub voice (chain smoking grandma), but his Japanese voice is perfect. His new dub voice, Chris Ayres, is a great match as well.

I will ask my friends how is the best way to get my hands on the series.  Yes, Frieza was a great villan. The Namek saga is a great one. I don't Cal a lot and the Bu saga was the best I think. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FASVB said:

I will ask my friends how is the best way to get my hands on the series.  Yes, Frieza was a great villan. The Namek saga is a great one. I don't Cal a lot and the Bu saga was the best I think. 

Yea, Buu was great villain to conclude the series with. A mystical being that defied the laws of nature.

8 hours ago, GojiBill said:

Yea, Buu was great villain to conclude the series with. A mystical being that defied the laws of nature.

Then they came up with Ub and later on they fused them into Ubu. That was so so weird.