Outsiders

First Look Image Of Joaquin Phoenix As 'The Joker'

Todd Phillips, director of the upcoming Joker origin film, has revealed a first look image via Instagram of star Joaquin Phoenix, before he becomes the infamous Batman villain.  Phillips captioned the image with 'Arthur,' based on the Joker’s real name before he took on his 'Joker' title.

Scott Silver co-wrote the script with Phillips and is scheduled for a October 4th, 2019 release.

Joaquin-Phoenix-Pre-Joker.jpg

He reminds me of Edward Nigma from Batman Forever before he turned into the Riddler, I'm really not a fan of this... I don't even like the name change.

8 hours ago, JonD7 said:

He reminds me of Edward Nigma from Batman Forever before he turned into the Riddler, I'm really not a fan of this... I don't even like the name change.

the joker doesn't really have a set name. he's jack napier in the '89 film and has another name on Gotham, but i won't spoil it for anyone starting to catch up

At this time he's not the Joker, he's whatever name you want to give him. He won't the Joker until he's chased by Batman and falls into the vat of chemicals. I'm hoping that they actually show the scene of Batman chasing him.

Really hope DC gets its cinematic universe together. It needs to establish a theme and run with it. It was so eager to cash in on the extended universe formula it failed to get a working plan together. I feel like Sony’s Venom will suffer a similar problem, the same fate as other non-MCU properties. Great characters and ideas that suffer from too much studio interference.

I don't know, but a have a very very bad feeling about this, 

I mentioned on Facebook that after seeing this first-look photo, I realized that it reminded me of something... It took me a little while before I could narrow it down. But, I finally did. Kind of a cross between Little Boy Blue, from the 1934 Laurel & Hardy ‘March of the Wooden Soldiers’, aka ‘Babes in Toyland’, and the titular character, as portrayed by Ben Kingsley, in the 1985 film, ‘Silas Marner’. ?

F0CA5737-6D94-49DD-985E-EDBA93F17721.jpeg

Yeah, that's true... Although supposedly DC made it officially canon that his name is Jack Napier but he didn't have a name for so long and it makes sense to change I up since this is a standalone and differentiate itself from Leto's Joker.

Seeing this image makes me hopeful and positive about the idea of Joaquin Phoenix playing a pre-joker/Joker role. He lost some weight which shows dedication and he has a great "ain't right in the head"  facial expression here. He's also proven his acting chops over the years too so I'm hopeful that he'll be able to bring a bit of his nuances to the depth of the character. I have a good feeling about this one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BradDCUGeek said:

Seeing this image makes me hopeful and positive about the idea of Joaquin Phoenix playing a pre-joker/Joker role. He lost some weight which shows dedication and he has a great "ain't right in the head"  facial expression here. He's also proven his acting chops over the years too so I'm hopeful that he'll be able to bring a bit of his nuances to the depth of the character. I have a good feeling about this one. 

If nothing else, the acting chops of Phoenix, and some of the other casting — De Niro, for one — does make me hopeful that this’ll turn out good. I’m just tentative over its being called ‘The Joker’. If that’s what it’s called, I hope that we actually get to see him.

Looks good! He's a great actor, I'm really looking forward to this one. 

The best thing this movie has going for it, at fave value, is the casting... I don’t know much else about it, apart from that. So, my hopes for it are moderately low. But, I’m prepared and hopeful to be blown out of the water.