Henry Cavill Is Superman No More?!?

JayC

THR reports that contract negotiations between Superman actor Henry Cavill and Warner Bros. has broken down and that he will definitely not be making a cameo in the upcoming Shazam movie, and likely will not don the red cape and blue tights again for the studio. The main reason for this is because the studio is shifting focus to making a Supergirl movie which would require a younger Kal-El and that there are no immediate plans for another Superman solo story anytime soon.

Cavill isn't the only Justice League actor likely on the way out the door as Warner Bros. looks to try and reset their DCCU yet again with recent lackluster box-office performances from both Justice League and Dawn of Justice. Reports also indicate that Ben Affleck is out as Batman.

The move to do a Supergirl movie is likely due to the fact that the only recent DC based movie to be deemed a box-office success for Warner Bros. was Gal Godot's Wonder Woman, which will see a sequel being released next year. Aquaman is the next movie up for release in December, but the hype for that movie has been pretty lack-luster at best, so I'm not getting my hopes up for it being a huge success.

According to a statement by Warner Bros. Cavil is still very much a part of the DCEU. Apparently the talks were for a cameo in SHAZAM!, which would've been outside his original contract (he's still contracted for one more Superman movie). Cavil turned down the cameo due to scheduling conflicts, and the internet did what the internet does best and filled in the blanks with unsubstantiated crap.

8 hours ago, mako said:

According to a statement by Warner Bros. Cavil is still very much a part of the DCEU. Apparently the talks were for a cameo in SHAZAM!, which would've been outside his original contract (he's still contracted for one more Superman movie). Cavil turned down the cameo due to scheduling conflicts, and the internet did what the internet does best and filled in the blanks with unsubstantiated crap.

I think it was a little more than the internet making things up. The original reports indicated that the Shazam cameo was a def no go but that also overall negotiations where not going well between the two parties as WB shifted gears from Superman to Supergirl. Likely because they want to try and repeat the success of Wonder Woman with another female character and not wanting to pay Cavil big bucks due to the lackluster performances of BvS and Justice League.   I think the later statement put out by WB trying to do some damage control as the negotiations for money continues.

At the end of the day it seems like WB is pretty clueless on where they want to take the DCCU which IMO has been their problem from day one. No real clear direction and just throwing stuff out for the sake of getting stuff out there. If they had been willing to take the time and map out a true all encompassing Universe like Marvel did and really built up each of these characters and then delivered a big payoff with a Justice League type movie I think they would have gotten much better results. Now we have things like multiple Jokers and loosing their key actors and just what seems like a big mess of a movie universe. 

14 hours ago, JayC said:

I think it was a little more than the internet making things up. The original reports indicated that the Shazam cameo was a def no go but that also overall negotiations where not going well between the two parties as WB shifted gears from Superman to Supergirl. Likely because they want to try and repeat the success of Wonder Woman with another female character and not wanting to pay Cavil big bucks due to the lackluster performances of BvS and Justice League.   I think the later statement put out by WB trying to do some damage control as the negotiations for money continues.

Well there's the thing isn't it. If it's a choice between a statement by the company (who should know) or some wanna-be with a self-styled "news vlog," I'm going with the company.

14 hours ago, JayC said:

At the end of the day it seems like WB is pretty clueless on where they want to take the DCCU which IMO has been their problem from day one. No real clear direction and just throwing stuff out for the sake of getting stuff out there. If they had been willing to take the time and map out a true all encompassing Universe like Marvel did and really built up each of these characters and then delivered a big payoff with a Justice League type movie I think they would have gotten much better results. Now we have things like multiple Jokers and loosing their key actors and just what seems like a big mess of a movie universe. 

See, that's exactly what I was talking about.

I love Zack Snyder's take on the characters, if only WB stuck it out and stopped interfering... I hope theirs a chance that WB notices just how loved Cavill is by this and pushes them to go ahead with a Superman sequel.

One thing for sure is that all this news is going to really hurt toy sales, I've been  seeing a lot of cancellations for the Justice League Hot Toys that will be releasing soon as well as the Mezco and I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with it. Nobody wants to shell out hundreds of dollars for a version of a character that is already replaced unless your a really die hard fan. 

8 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

One thing for sure is that all this news is going to really hurt toy sales, I've been  seeing a lot of cancellations for the Justice League Hot Toys that will be releasing soon as well as the Mezco and I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with it. Nobody wants to shell out hundreds of dollars for a version of a character that is already replaced unless your a really die hard fan. 

*raises hand* I have 3 JL Hot Toys figures preordered... I'd get them all if I could.

39 minutes ago, JonD7 said:

*raises hand* I have 3 JL Hot Toys figures preordered... I'd get them all if I could.

I have all of them preordered as well but thats probably because I feel compelled to have a completed DCEU Justice League since my Avengers team is complete until they release more characters. I'm just saying that it seems that the a lot of people have been cancelling their preorders because a lot of retailers still have the majority of them still available when a month ago most places were sold out. I actually was late on preordering them so I had been on the lookout for many months and was only able to snag a regular JL Batman until a few weeks ago when I was able to get them all preordered through various reputable sites and now I see them everywhere so either HT greatly increased their stock or people are cancelling. Which sucks because it really seems like the DCEU is heading towards the right direction only to possibly lose two of their most iconic characters for awhile until they find new actors.  

48 minutes ago, Thinwheat said:

It's sometimes hard to be a DC fan. Cavill was great, the material just wasn't right for what the audience wanted and there was WAY too much studio interference on these projects. 

I agree, the studio never really let Cavill get to show off his charm instead he was brooding most of the time.

Sounds like we have opposed opinions, lol I actually hated what they did to Superman in JL, it was a step backwards... I thought he was perfect in Man of Steel and BvS.

I do hate the Donner films though, that's just not Superman to me.