DC Multiverse 6" Aquaman Movie Wave 1 (Aquaman, Black Manta, Mera, Orb & Trench Warrior) Figures Review & Image Gallery

JayC

Mattel is back at it with another movie wave of 6” DC Multiverse figures, this time for the upcoming Aquaman movie opening in theaters on December 14, 2018.

This wave consists of four figures and one Collect-And-Connect. The regular figures include Orb, Black Manta, Mera and Aquaman featured with a more classic look in the orange shirt and green pants. The Collect-And-Connect figure for this wave is a Trench Warrior, a nasty looking sea-creature army builder type.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-101__scaled_600.jpg

The packaging for these figures is the same we have seen with other recent Multiverse releases with the blue window boxes. A brief bio for each character is on the back.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-188__scaled_600.jpg

The figures continue to show design improvements over older Multiverse figures with improved articulation and sculpting detail. Most the figures have ankle pivot and double-jointed knees. They also feature the improved crotch articulation, no longer featuring those outdated side-hinge joints. The face sculpts for both Mera and Aquaman are much improved over the previous Justice League movie versions.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-195__scaled_600.jpg

Black Manta is probably the overall coolest looking of the bunch, featuring what looks like a hyped-up scuba outfit with a pretty comic book accurate helmet. I am disappointed they didn’t incorporate the same kind of red translucent plastic eyes as they did with the SDCC comic book version released earlier this year.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-189__scaled_600.jpg

Aquaman looks good overall but I wish they had painted the shoulder joints the same color as the rest of his shirt. The different shade of paint stands out noticeably on the figure. I like that they included the scar on the left eyebrow, and the sculpting detailing on the shirt for the chainmail and the texturing on the legs look good.

Mera also has nice texturing on her outfit, and I like the metallic-looking paints they used on her. She is more limited in articulation than the others, only having single-hinged knees and no ankle pivot.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-146__scaled_600.jpg

Orb has nice sculpting details on his outfit, and I especially like the way his cape and helmet look. The pieces on his faceplate that stick out and the fin on the top of his helmet are made with a rubbery material so they won’t snap off, however they might come out of the package a little wrapped looking. Heating the material with a hairdryer likely will help straighten the fins out if that ends up being an issue for you.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-169__scaled_600.jpg

The Trench Warrior is very cool looking with nice sculpting and paint applications. I really like the head sculpt and that they gave it an articulated jaw. The three-clawed fingers on each hand also look menacing. The only real downside is that they made a character who I am pretty sure is part of an army to collect-and-connect which will make it hard to get multiples for those who want an army of these guys.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-182__scaled_600.jpg

For accessories, Mera has the most with a basic spear-like weapon and alternate hands that mimic her water-controlling abilities. I believe these are the same kind of accessories the previous Justice League movie Mera came with which was offered as an Amazon exclusive.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-192__scaled_600.jpg

Aquaman and Orb both come with Tridents with some nice paint applications on them, and Black Manta comes with a sword that is black. Manata also has a non-removable blade on his left arm that is made from a rubber material, so like Orb’s mask you may need to apply heat to straighten it out if it gets warped in the package.

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-196__scaled_600.jpg

It’s good to see Mattel making improvements with their Multiverse line. However being completely honest, these figures still are a bit lacking in some areas like articulation when compared to similiar scale super hero action figure lines. That said, I will say there are enough positives here to warrant checking out if you are an Aquaman fan or a fan of the DC movies. These figures have started to see limited releases through select e-tailers and should start seeing a wider release in the coming weeks. Check out more images for all these figures below in our GALLERY!

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-101.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-102.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-103.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-104.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-105.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-106.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-107.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-108.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-109.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-110.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-111.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-112.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-113.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-114.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-115.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-116.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-117.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-118.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-119.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-120.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-121.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-122.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-123.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-124.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-125.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-126.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-127.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-128.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-129.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-130.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-131.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-132.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-133.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-134.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-135.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-136.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-137.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-138.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-139.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-140.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-141.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-142.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-143.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-144.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-145.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-146.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-147.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-148.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-149.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-150.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-151.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-152.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-153.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-154.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-155.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-156.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-157.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-158.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-159.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-160.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-161.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-162.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-163.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-164.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-165.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-166.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-167.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-168.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-169.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-170.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-171.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-172.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-173.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-174.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-175.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-176.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-177.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-178.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-179.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-180.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-181.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-182.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-183.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-184.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-185.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-186.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-187.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-188.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-189.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-190.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-191.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-192.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-193.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-194.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-195.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-196.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-197.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-198.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-199.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-1100.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-1101.jpg

DC-Multiverse-Aquaman-Movie-Wave-1102.jpg

• Like 1

These all look great. Mattel really tried to make something cool with these. The only one I'm not too keen on is Mera. The hair just looks a bowl of spaghetti fell into some red paint and then crawled out and draped itself on Amer's head to it could dry out. I had a set on order but the seller reneged and cancelled my purchase because Mattel gave him crap for selling them before October. 

I'm really looking foward to getting these, I have a soft spot for anything Aquaman or aquatic in general.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:13 PM, Thinwheat said:

Not digging these, I saw a picture of Mera the other day that had a horrible paint app QC issue on her face. Multiverse is getting better, but they still have a ways to go. 

Yeah she seems a step down compared to the Justice League version.

I think the Aquaman figure looks pretty good, overall... The head sculpt is definitely a step up from the previous ones. Mera on the other hand just seems off, to me. The first one didn’t really knock the likeness out of the park either, but I actually like the costume on the former release better. The newer one seems way too bright, to me.

I think the Black Manta is the best of the lot, though... Holy schnikes does he look badass.

Guess its time for a custom face swap ?

^ I wish I was much more adept at, and had the overall patience for, making customs. My very first custom was literally swapping a Winter Soldier unmasked Captain America head onto a Reed Richards body, making an unofficial Johnny Storm — an idea Jay C had shared of somebody’s on Facebook. It took a little whittling out of the head, to fit the neck peg, but that was it. That’s the most I’ve ever done, lol.

Looks like WB learned from the Doomsday debacle and is actually making the DC characters resemble the source material. Black Manta and Ocean Master look great. Love the design of the Trench Warrior.

Now, will Aquaman follow BvS or WW? Is DCEU still salvageable.

4 hours ago, GojiBill said:

Now, will Aquaman follow BvS or WW? Is DCEU still salvageable.

I really hope it’s the latter... I’m one of the seeming few that actually liked Batman v Superman, for the most part. The extended cut, anyway. But, it was not without its problems. And those only compounded between Sucide Squad and Justice League. Wonder Woman was the breath of hope these movies needed, to me. And I’ve been hoping that Aquaman — and even Shazam — will follow suit with it. But, having heard that there’s been yet another changing of the guard behind the scenes at Warners, makes me fearful that these’ll be the last vestiges of the DCEU mark I. And, I dunno what mark II is going to entail, yet.

There’s definitely a difference in theme and feel with the trailers of Aquaman and Shazam. I’ve enjoyed them and hopefully the change is a positive indication. If not, DC is still the king of animated features and series. The closest Marvel came to them in the animated area was Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, than it was cancelled to make way for the Avengers Assembled and Hulk - Agents of SMASH, ?.

^ Oh yes, DC’s animated movies tend to be pretty good... They’re not all perfect, of course. But, more often than not, I enjoy the hell out of ‘em. Especially the new ‘Death of Superman’ movie — that was really good. And way better than the original DC animated take on the story. And I say that as someone who also liked that first one.