Mattel Launches New Theatrical Film Division

Outsiders

16 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Yanno, I decided to re-watch both G.I. Joe movies today, they really aren't that bad. They utilize so many things the toys had its almost crazy to see some of this stuff in an actual movie.

Gonna watch the old Masters of the Universe once Retaliation is over lol

Btw put me on the list for being a fan of Annihilation, Double Dragon, and Mario Brothers, I had all the movie based games as well ? 

I didn’t hate the G.I. Joe movies... I remember digging them to a point, when I saw them. I’ve only ever seen them both once, thus far. And always intended to go back and look at them again. It just amazes me how they have fallen under that same cumulative ‘they suck’ mentality.

Masters, on the other hand... Hasn’t aged well, lol. And, got so much wrong. I still have a little, teensy-weensy bit of nostalgia for it. But, man. It left a lot to be desired, when I bought the dvd to give it a rewatch.

2 hours ago, sXeblues said:

I didn’t hate the G.I. Joe movies... I remember digging them to a point, when I saw them. I’ve only ever seen them both once, thus far. And always intended to go back and look at them again. It just amazes me how they have fallen under that same cumulative ‘they suck’ mentality.

Masters, on the other hand... Hasn’t aged well, lol. And, got so much wrong. I still have a little, teensy-weensy bit of nostalgia for it. But, man. It left a lot to be desired, when I bought the dvd to give it a rewatch.

Maybe I'm starting to lose brain cells as I get older but man did I thoroughly enjoy G.I Joe Retaliation, seeing a live action Cobra Commander with the mask and helmet made my day ?

Masters for me is like Super Mario Bros, its not a good movie and it looks like crap and its so far off from the actual story but it has this charm to it.

2 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Maybe I'm starting to lose brain cells as I get older but man did I thoroughly enjoy G.I Joe Retaliation, seeing a live action Cobra Commander with the mask and helmet made my day ?

I think my favorite stuff had to do with Snake Eyes and Stormshadow... But man was it dope seeing Cobra Commander with the mask and helmet. I really have to pop them in again!

38 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

I think my favorite stuff had to do with Snake Eyes and Stormshadow... But man was it dope seeing Cobra Commander with the mask and helmet. I really have to pop them in again!

Yeah I loved that too I doubt they will but I want a 3rd movie so bad right now, they were planning on bringing Duke back!

22 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Ah, another underappreciated gem.

I remember as a kid I had a poster of Dolph Lundgren's He-Man on my wall. True story, one day my Mom, who had previously gone to every video store in town to find me a previously viewed VHS copy of MOTU (at this point it hadn't been released for retail sale), comes in  my room to get something, sees the poster, shakes her head and says "God, I'd love to feel that chest just once." For years I wouldn't let her live that down.

God rest her soul, she'd probably kill me, but if I'm ever lucky enough to meet the guy, I'm telling him what she said.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Yeah I loved that too I doubt they will but I want a 3rd movie so bad right now, they were planning on bringing Duke back!

I remember hearing that both a third movie and a Snake Eyes solo movie were potentially in the works... But man, I haven’t heard anything about either in a long time. I’d probably be curious to see another one.

56 minutes ago, mako said:

Ah, another underappreciated gem.

I remember as a kid I had a poster of Dolph Lundgren's He-Man on my wall. True story, one day my Mom, who had previously gone to every video store in town to find me a previously viewed VHS copy of MOTU (at this point it hadn't been released for retail sale), comes in  my room to get something, sees the poster, shakes her head and says "God, I'd love to feel that chest just once." For years I wouldn't let her live that down.

God rest her soul, she'd probably kill me, but if I'm ever lucky enough to meet the guy, I'm telling him what she said.

Lmao if my mom said that I'd do the same ?

47 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

I remember hearing that both a third movie and a Snake Eyes solo movie were potentially in the works... But man, I haven’t heard anything about either in a long time. I’d probably be curious to see another one.

Unfortunately for us, a lot of those actors became big names in such a short time and those movies didn't do too well so I don't know if there are any plans now.

18 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Unfortunately for us, a lot of those actors became big names in such a short time and those movies didn't do too well so I don't know if there are any plans now.

This is true... I’ve been hearing the constant lament from some of the vintage toy channels I watch, for a while now, about how G.I. Joe hasn’t been getting any love for a long time. And, you would think, with the clamor for something, anything more be given to us, that would get somebody’s attention. But, for all I know, that could be a minority amongst all of the actually profitable IPs that are dominating the market, nowadays.

1 hour ago, sXeblues said:

This is true... I’ve been hearing the constant lament from some of the vintage toy channels I watch, for a while now, about how G.I. Joe hasn’t been getting any love for a long time. And, you would think, with the clamor for something, anything more be given to us, that would get somebody’s attention. But, for all I know, that could be a minority amongst all of the actually profitable IPs that are dominating the market, nowadays.

Well I'll admit I was never a huge G.I. Joe fan. I had a fair amount of figures as a kid but I mainly had the Cobras because they looked way cooler. Even in the movies I only really found enjoyment of seeing the Cobra side and the Joe parts just felt like a regular movie lol 

7 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Well I'll admit I was never a huge G.I. Joe fan. I had a fair amount of figures as a kid but I mainly had the Cobras because they looked way cooler. Even in the movies I only really found enjoyment of seeing the Cobra side and the Joe parts just felt like a regular movie lol 

I was always more so a fan of the figures themselves, be they Joes or Cobra... I do remember the cartoon, somewhat vaguely. But, it wasn’t until my teens that I actually invested a little time into reading some of the comics. Especially the crossover with Transformers. But, I was never fanatical over the property. For me, the coolest thing about seeing the movies was being able to see some of the more notable characters, like Baroness, Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes and such, brought to life. That’s the biggest draw, for me.

I was always more so a fan of the figures themselves, be they Joes or Cobra... I do remember the cartoon, somewhat vaguely. But, it wasn’t until my teens that I actually invested a little time into reading some of the comics. Especially the crossover with Transformers. But, I was never fanatical over the property. For me, the coolest thing about seeing the movies was being able to see some of the more notable characters, like Baroness, Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes and such, brought to life. That’s the biggest draw, for me.

You know, its amazing that Bay never made a G.I. Joe movie.. I mean then he could use all his army influence without it ruining the movie. Theres plenty of attractive women in G.I. Joe. The movies can actually be set literally anywhere and not feel out of place. He could even use all his racist stereotypes because they sure did a lot of that in the old cartoon. And I doubt the costume design can be any worse than the first G.I. Joe movie so maybe it would actually be good lol I kinda want to see his version now ?

• Haha 1

I figure the reason there's been so little movement on the Joe front is because Hasbro just doesn't need Joe. As far as profit-bearing properties go they have Transformers in the home-grown stable, Star Wars and Marvel in the licensed arena, and they just bought Power Rangers, a power-player in toy sales for the last two and a half decades.

You figure two under-performing big budget movies, Walmart's traditional dislike of the property, Toy-r-Us, who carried Joe through the "thin times" closing down, and Joe seems a lot less viable a money maker.

To bad, cause I would really get off on Joe being back in retail, movies or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mako said:

I figure the reason there's been so little movement on the Joe front is because Hasbro just doesn't need Joe. As far as profit-bearing properties go they have Transformers in the home-grown stable, Star Wars and Marvel in the licensed arena, and they just bought Power Rangers, a power-player in toy sales for the last two and a half decades.

You figure two under-performing big budget movies, Walmart's traditional dislike of the property, Toy-r-Us, who carried Joe through the "thin times" closing down, and Joe seems a lot less viable a money maker.

To bad, cause I would really get off on Joe being back in retail, movies or not.

I was just saying to my brother the other day that I would love it if a company started making 6 inch G.I. Joes. Preferably Hasbro cause I don't want to be paying 50+ on all those characters. Either way It would suck on my wallet but I'd find a way to make it work ?

I'm very interested & excited to see what will happen in the Fisher Price Extended Universe?  The Little People Playsets?? The Airport, The Farm, The Family House?...all that has so much Sick potential.....if & when they starting writing the Trilogy, I would hope the last Movie would deal with Parking Garage....so much history there & its a tragic & brave story that needs to be told & brought to the big screen...Given that Hollywood treatment that makes all things whole & wonderful & not at all exploited for massive amounts of cash.....lol

*In my Movie Announcer Voice* This Winter the Rock squares off against Nicholas Cage a greedy developer who has illegally built a "Parking Lot" on the Rock's family sacred land where his ancestors are buried....the climax of the film actually has the Rock fighting the actual Parking Structure, of course all the actors are made through CGI to look like the actual little people toys from the 80s..there's an intense plastic car chase inside the structure like the old Steve McQueen Movie "The Hunter".....more to follow.... 

parking lot.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

You know, its amazing that Bay never made a G.I. Joe movie.. I mean then he could use all his army influence without it ruining the movie. Theres plenty of attractive women in G.I. Joe. The movies can actually be set literally anywhere and not feel out of place. He could even use all his racist stereotypes because they sure did a lot of that in the old cartoon. And I doubt the costume design can be any worse than the first G.I. Joe movie so maybe it would actually be good lol I kinda want to see his version now ?

He absolutely missed his true calling there, man... ?

2 hours ago, mako said:

That makes a lot of sense... Sadly.

2 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I was just saying to my brother the other day that I would love it if a company started making 6 inch G.I. Joes. Preferably Hasbro cause I don't want to be paying 50+ on all those characters. Either way It would suck on my wallet but I'd find a way to make it work ?

I’ve been saying the same thing for a little while now... I would love to see them busting out 6” Joes, paying homage to the original figure line. They did have a line a while ago that was slightly larger in scale, but they were also overly stylized, and didn’t really sell too well.

22 minutes ago, GuitarDevil said:

I'm very interested & excited to see what will happen in the Fisher Price Extended Universe?  The Little People Playsets?? The Airport, The Farm, The Family House?...all that has so much Sick potential.....if & when they starting writing the Trilogy, I would hope the last Movie would deal with Parking Garage....so much history there & its a tragic & brave story that needs to be told & brought to the big screen...Given that Hollywood treatment that makes all things whole & wonderful & not at all exploited for massive amounts of cash.....lol

*In my Movie Announcer Voice* This Winter the Rock squares off against Nicholas Cage a greedy developer who has illegally built a "Parking Lot" on the Rock's family sacred land where his ancestors are buried....the climax of the film actually has the Rock fighting the actual Parking Structure, of course all the actors are made through CGI to look like the actual little people toys from the 80s..there's an intense plastic car chase inside the structure like the old Steve McQueen Movie "The Hunter".....more to follow.... 

parking lot.jpg

If you’ll pardon the pun, this is Fisher Price-less! ?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GuitarDevil said:

parking lot.jpg

So like.. I knew this was meant to be a joke... but I still looked up to see if it was actually a thing because I kinda want to see it ?

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 9:57 AM, NeedlessImmortals said:

Yanno, I decided to re-watch both G.I. Joe movies today, they really aren't that bad. They utilize so many things the toys had its almost crazy to see some of this stuff in an actual movie.

Btw put me on the list for being a fan of Annihilation, Double Dragon, and Mario Brothers, I had all the movie based games as well ? 

Double Dragon and Mario? Now that's just crazy talking. 

No man. Don't do that to yourself. The MoTU with Dolph Lundgreen is one of the worst movies ever made. Don't throw away 2 hours of your life like this.

I enjoyed both MK movies. The show Conquest was alo good. Didn't get to see that new series. I also remember having a good time watching the old cartoon. 

6 minutes ago, FASVB said:

Double Dragon and Mario? Now that's just crazy talking. 

No man. Don't do that to yourself. The MoTU with Dolph Lundgreen is one of the worst movies ever made. Don't throw away 2 hours of your life like this.

I enjoyed both MK movies. The show Conquest was alo good. Didn't get to see that new series. I also remember having a good time watching the old cartoon. 

Too late on the MOTU thing lmao but I enjoyed it. Courteney Cox is ridiculously cute in that btw. I also never realized that Gwildor is basically Orko.

And Double Dragon is cool! I remember my brother and I dressing up as them for Halloween lol

I think everyone likes Mortal Kombat to some extent, I've never met someone who straight up hated it, even my mom likes it. ?

54 minutes ago, FASVB said:

But, but — he really wanted to come back! ?

59082CE0-393F-4263-BDC5-D12945852240.jpeg

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

But, but — he really wanted to come back! ?

59082CE0-393F-4263-BDC5-D12945852240.jpeg

Best after credits scene ever lol

11 minutes ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

Best after credits scene ever lol

I was watching a video sampling best of bits from Red Letter Media’s movie commentary for this, and when they got to that after credits bit, Mike Stoklasa’a like, ‘Nope, no you won’t’ in his typical deadpan. And I have to admit, that cracked me up! ?

I was watching a video sampling best of bits from Red Letter Media’s movie commentary for this, and when they got to that after credits bit, Mike Stoklasa’a like, ‘Nope, no you won’t’ in his typical deadpan. And I have to admit, that cracked me up! ?

I can't tell you just how badly I want a Frank Langella MOTUC Skeletor  figure... ?

8 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

I can't tell you just how badly I want a Frank Langella MOTUC Skeletor  figure... ?

I laughed because I know for sure you guys are kidding

9 hours ago, NeedlessImmortals said:

So like.. I knew this was meant to be a joke... but I still looked up to see if it was actually a thing because I kinda want to see it ?

With the Rock’s charisma factor, it could happen. That guy has been making box office magic. Jumanji 2 made over $900 million.