JayC

Power-Con 2018 - ThunderCats Classic Figures From Mattel Set To Return?!?

^ Tygra, Cheetara, Slythe, Monkey Man and Mummra, especially. I’d at least like to be able to fill out the core team and have a villain or two, as well. I’ve still gotta get my hands on Panthro and the twins, at some point.

Such crap. How can you sit on a brand like the dang Thundercats for crying out loud and say stuff like, "Oh, well you guys have to ask for it more before we make anything. . . . durr durr duurrr" 
Fool, just make it! It's stinkin' Thundercats! 
Mattel gets the award for worst toy company for sure. Man, they suck sometimes. 

9 hours ago, Thinwheat said:

Such crap. How can you sit on a brand like the dang Thundercats for crying out loud and say stuff like, "Oh, well you guys have to ask for it more before we make anything. . . . durr durr duurrr" 
Fool, just make it! It's stinkin' Thundercats! 
Mattel gets the award for worst toy company for sure. Man, they suck sometimes. 

Well I know there is a  vocal group of TCats fans out there but if you look at the track record of the line it has seemingly demonstrated to not be a strong performer sales wise. Bandai America, Mezco, Mattel and even Funko have all tried and seemingly struggled to do well with the license and the last cartoon also performed poorly. I think the biggest problem is TCats are well enough known that WB probably charges a premium for the license and yet the actual number of people willing to buy the product isn't enough to support that price, so companies can't make a reasonable profit from it. When you compare ThunderCats to the likes of other popular 80's brands like Transformers, GIJoe, He-Man, they probably come in at the very bottom of that list for popularity. You see the same thing with other brands like MASK and such. You always hear a vocal group of fans clamoring for a new toy line, but the reality is that the numbers just aren't there to really support it. IDK if it was this thread or another one I said this, but I think the only reason Mattel was toying with the idea of restarting ThunderCats was because of the new animated series that fans hated but was in the works, which honestly I think may have been scrapped.

• Like 2

I have no hard data to support but I suspect it’s not so much an issue of if it can make but more a case of if it can make enough money to make the boses happy—and when you are a large public traded company owned by stock holders that could care less about the toy industry and they are only interested in what will get them the highest return (Mattel) then Thundercats isn’t going to make them enough money to be happy.  On the other hand a smaller company would probably love to collect the profits from a Thundercats line.  Its all about expectations.  

Does anyone know if Mattel even has an active license with WB for Thundercats?  That’s the part of this that confuses me.  Without an active license firmly in place I’m not sure why they would have tried to tease this product, but on the other hand if they do have an active license I don’t know why they wouldn’t try to capitalize on it.