DC Essentials Superman Figure Review & Image Gallery

JayC

DC Collectibles continues its new DC Essentials line with Superman who is featured in the most recent costume the debuted in Action Comics #1000, the blue tights with red trunks, boots and cape. This costume also features the line work around the wrists on the sleeves as seen with the New 52 costume.

DC-Essentials-Superman%2020__scaled_600.jpg

The figure stands 7” tall which is a larger scale than their previous Icons line as well as other 6” Lines like Marvel Legends and DC Multiverse figures. However, these new figures do match up well with older DC Collectibles New 52 figures and even the few DC figures NECA has done.

DC-Essentials-Superman%2013__scaled_600.jpg

This particular figure does not have any additional accessories, a key component for this Essentials line. DC Collectibles says this decision helps keep prices down to range between $22 and $25. Something cool like the eye-heat beam effects seen with DC Collectibles Icons Death Of Superman figure would have been cool, but I understand why they are limiting accessories.

DC-Essentials-Superman%2018__scaled_600.jpg

This Superman has a fairly solid paint job with only two complaints. The loops on Superman's belt match the remainder of the yellow belt instead of the red portrayed in the comics. I also don’t like how visible the difference between the shade of red used on the ankle joints and the glossy red paint used on the feet and upper portion of the boots is. It almost looks like Superman is wearing socks or something.

DC-Essentials-Superman%203__scaled_600.jpg

The head sculpt on the figure is very solid in my opinion. It’s actually one of the best looking head sculpts I’ve seen on a Superman figure. The hair is solid black and features the iconic hair curl. The skin tone, eyebrows and eyes have solid paint jobs, and the expression is very Superman like.

The S symbol on his chest is painted and not sculpted, but it looks solid. The figure has a closed fist for the right hand and an open hand for the left. The arm length is perhaps a little too long but honestly even in a static pose it doesn’t bother me too much, and the arms work pretty well for things like flight poses.

DC-Essentials-Superman%208__scaled_600.jpg

The red cape is made of that typical rubber-type material and is red on both sides. This incarnation of Superman does not feature the S symbol on it. The cape is a good length, and I think it hangs on the figure fairly well.

Articulation on the figure is solid as we’ve seen with previous Essential figures. What I really like is you can get the head back thanks to a neck hinge joint for flight poses. This is something that often seems to be missing from Superman figures. You do get that gap at the crotch section which I know annoys some folks, but doesn’t bother me much. I would say that maybe DC Collectibles should consider going back to the same crotch design they were using on the more recent DC Icons figures. I think you have a good range of motion with those without the big gaps.

DC-Essentials-Superman%2031__scaled_600.jpg

The joints overall on this figure seem pretty tight, but the ankles are a little rubbery causing the figure to wobble a bit when trying to stand which can be annoying.

DC-Essentials-Superman%2028__scaled_600.jpg

Despite some complaints, I am actually really enjoying this figure and the different kind of flight poses I can achieve. That and the very solid looking head sculpt make this a great addition to anyone’s Superman figure collection. Look for this figure to hit comic and specialty shops later this month. You can pre-order it now at Megalopolis.Toys and BigBadToyStore.com.

Thanks to DC Collectibles for sending this figure free of charge for purposes of review. Check out more images for this figure below in our GALLERY! as well as a Toy Talk video on it.

• Like 1

Man. I am sad with DC collectibles.  I was starting to like the icons. Sure the head sculpt of this new one is absolutely much better.  But the rest is just underwhelming for me. That hip joint, the generic body, no alternate hands. 

I wish even more that the NECA vs line comes out eventually. That Superman was awesome. The best figure ever made in this scale was the Reeve Superman and that one is though to beat. I never got to pick that one and I will regret it forever. 

• 4 weeks later...

If the Mafex marvel figures are a hit (which is very likely) they will probably start making DC. Kayiodo did it first and Medicom shall follow suit. 

15 hours ago, LimitedEdition said:

I'm very excited for the Mafex Comic based figures. I've already per-ordered Spider-man. Waiting for the Gwenpool to release to watch some reviews.

Spider Man looks amazing indeed. I am still waiting for them to show some guns for Deadpool. At least two pistols. Why have so many hands including trihgger finger and no guns whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, LimitedEdition said:

The no gun inclusion is not on Mafex that is coming from Marvel.

You can see all current Marvel Legends, Figma Deadpool, and Nendoroid Deadpool all released without realistic looking firearms.

Anti-gun stupid policies ruining our figures.  But the Figma one had a pistol and a revolver.