Hasbro Moving Production Out Of China

JayC

According to the NYPost, Hasbro will be moving it's toy production out of China in light of the recent tariffs President Trump placed on $34 billion of Chinese imports. It's unknown were they will be moving their production to at this time, though it seems unlikely it will be back here to the United States.

hasbro.jpg

Man, this is kind of insane... As somebody who’s a relative novice on all of the actual production aspects of the action figures I collect, knowing only that almost everything I have ever bought, ever, carried a ‘Made in China’ printed on it somewhere; I wonder what this will spell for their continued toy production and manufacture quality. 

Hasbro's been moving production out of China for awhile now. As pay and the standard of living increases in China, manufacturing in multiple sectors has been looking elsewhere. Right now, Vietnam/SE Asia seem to be taking over the bulk of manufacturing. Once wages outstrip the profit incentive to produce there, manufacturers will move on to the next cheap-labor hot spot. I reckon it's only a matter of time before everyone moves production to Africa and Central & South America...which means there will be incentive for corporations to invest in stabilizing governments there. I read an article a year ago that corporations may be looking at North Korea as a new China. In the end, a stable government with a captive population is an ideal place to manufacturer when the bottom-line is all that matters. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hai_Karate said:

Hasbro's been moving production out of China for awhile now. As pay and the standard of living increases in China, manufacturing in multiple sectors has been looking elsewhere. Right now, Vietnam/SE Asia seem to be taking over the bulk of manufacturing. Once wages outstrip the profit incentive to produce there, manufacturers will move on to the next cheap-labor hot spot. I reckon it's only a matter of time before everyone moves production to Africa and Central & South America...which means there will be incentive for corporations to invest in stabilizing governments there. I read an article a year ago that corporations may be looking at North Korea as a new China. In the end, a stable government with a captive population is an ideal place to manufacturer when the bottom-line is all that matters. 

That’s very interesting, and a little sad, to learn. And, to be honest, I’m really not sure how I’d feel about anything coming out of North Korea, considering not only the pseudo police state, they’ve got going on. But also, some of the horror stories I’ve heard. Suggesting that various toys and other products produced there, have been shipped abroad with lead paint and other such, potentially harmful, substances in tow. I don’t know how true that is, but, I’d be fairly wary of the possibility. 

One thing that I want to say about this is hat protectionism  is just dumb. What he is doing is making things more expensive fir everyone. Just that. I have this problem in my Country and we pay 60% of import fees and other taxes. The state sales tax is up to 15% here.

About China specifically, the cost of production increased, the wages increased and that is normal. Manufacturers will always seek ways to lower production cost. That is pure economics. The problem are not just stable governments, but the taxes. They are one of the msot limiting aspects for a company to install here. In my country several companies including national ones fled because of this and now are set in Paraguay, because of lower taxes and other incentives. 

In a few words, the government is always the one to blame. The bigger they are, harder it is to have a business.  

13 minutes ago, FASVB said:

One thing that I want to say about this is hat protectionism  is just dumb. What he is doing is making things more expensive fir everyone. Just that. I have this problem in my Country and we pay 60% of import fees and other taxes. The state sales tax is up to 15% here.

About China specifically, the cost of production increased, the wages increased and that is normal. Manufacturers will always seek ways to lower production cost. That is pure economics. The problem are not just stable governments, but the taxes. They are one of the msot limiting aspects for a company to install here. In my country several companies including national ones fled because of this and now are set in Paraguay, because of lower taxes and other incentives. 

In a few words, the government is always the one to blame. The bigger they are, harder it is to have a business.  

It is indeed a sad state of affairs.

In my opinion, I think that it is fantastic that companies are moving production back to the United States just like back in the good old days, however I will say that this could have a negative efffect on production costs, thus having a negative affect on retail costs. We could see retail prices go up or even low quantities of toy lines being made.

2 hours ago, WaltPinkman said:

In my opinion, I think that it is fantastic that companies are moving production back to the United States just like back in the good old days, however I will say that this could have a negative efffect on production costs, thus having a negative affect on retail costs. We could see retail prices go up or even low quantities of toy lines being made.

umm no they are not moving them back to the U.S.

more are moving out instead

Hasbro has been moving production to Vietnam. Transformers & some Star Wars toys are being made there already. What this means is that because of the tariffs they will speed up moving the rest of their toys there.

I only wonder if the quality of the figures will decline due to them moving out of China. That is my biggest concern. The raise in price doesnt bother me at all. If the quality gets better then that is a major plus.

I saw someone say that some of the old molds may get retired because the equipment used for molds are very heavy and cost a lot to move and the equipment is easily damaged when being moved. So this may be a good thing or possibly a bad thing. I hope that this will help bring new molds into the fold for better articulation and such.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, JayC said:

According to the NYPost, Hasbro will be moving it's toy production out of China in light of the recent tariffs President Trump placed on $34 billion of Chinese imports. It's unknown were they will be moving their production to at this time, though it seems unlikely it will be back here to the United States.

hasbro.jpg

Damn it!