Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two 2018 SDCC Premiere Trailer

Outsiders

Today at Comic-Con International, "Star Trek" fans were provided a sneak peek at the highly anticipated season two premiere episode of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY during the series' Hall H panel with cast and executive producers. The second season is slated to return to CBS All Access in early 2019.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY co-creator and executive producer Alex Kurtzman, who directed the season two premiere, also announced at today's panel the plan for STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS. The four SHORT TREKS episodes will roll out monthly beginning this fall, and will be stand-alone stories, each running approximately 10-15 minutes. Each short will be an opportunity for deeper storytelling and exploration of key characters and themes which fit into STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and the expanding "Star Trek" universe.

Rainn Wilson will return to play Harry Mudd in a short he will also direct, and Aldis Hodge will star in another as Craft, a man who finds himself the only human on board a deserted ship. Additional episodes include a deep dive into Saru's (Doug Jones) backstory as the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, and Tilly's (Mary Wiseman) journey aboard the U.S.S. Discovery and her friendship with an unlikely partner.

"There is no shortage of compelling stories to tell in the 'Star Trek' universe that inspire, entertain, and either challenge our preconceived ideas or affirm long held beliefs, and we are excited to broaden the universe already with SHORT TREKS," said Kurtzman. "Each episode will deliver closed-ended stories while revealing clues about what's to come on in future STAR TREK: DISCOVERY episodes. They'll also introduce audiences to new characters who may inhabit the larger world of 'Star Trek.'"

The STAR TREK: DISCOVERY panel, moderated by season two guest star Tig Notaro (Chief Engineer Reno), featured a conversation with cast members, including Sonequa Martin-Green (Commander Michael Burnham), Doug Jones (Commander Saru), Shazad Latif (Lt. Ash Tyler), Mary Wiseman (Ensign Sylvia Tilly), Anthony Rapp (Lt. Commander Paul Stamets), Wilson Cruz (Dr. Hugh Culber), Mary Chieffo (L'Rell) and Anson Mount (Captain Christopher Pike). They were joined by executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin.

star_trek_short_treks.jpg

star_trek_discovery_season_2.jpg

Again they are trying to get us interested in this. The beginning was bad as could possibly be. Bad stories, complete disregard for the canon and all sorts of nonsense content. Another example of a TV show that tries to send a "message" and forgets to actually be a TV show. At the end it got a little better. Just a little. The mirror universe episodes were messy, but interesting. Now they throw in the Enterprise, with Pike and a more modern version of the classic uniforms (oddly enough never seen before that moment). Once again I am a stupid trekkie and gonna give it another go.  I think that I must like to suffer or something. 

4 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

I'm surprised this got another season, everywhere I go people hated it and were constantly bashing it. Good for the actors that the series is continuing.

I've said it before, IMO ratings don't matter at this stage, their was no way CBS would cancel this show after only 1 season. It was their flagship show for their new streaming service and if they admitted this show was a failure by canceling after one season they would be admitting their streaming service was a failure. The fact they are already bringing in the Enterprise, Spock and Pike is an indication they are trying to pull older Trek fans back into the show. I am intrigued by the new trailer but have little hope it will be any better than last season which I hated.

On 7/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, JayC said:

I've said it before, IMO ratings don't matter at this stage, their was no way CBS would cancel this show after only 1 season. It was their flagship show for their new streaming service and if they admitted this show was a failure by canceling after one season they would be admitting their streaming service was a failure. The fact they are already bringing in the Enterprise, Spock and Pike is an indication they are trying to pull older Trek fans back into the show. I am intrigued by the new trailer but have little hope it will be any better than last season which I hated.

I am with you 100%, but I guess I'm a sucker and will give it another go just so I can bash it later and say how bad it still is!

Seriously..what's up with the classic uniforms out of the blue? No pun intended. Are they going to use the crew from The Cage episode?  

On 7/23/2018 at 6:57 PM, JayC said:

You bring a valid point with CBS wanting to renew it just to "save face", it kind of reminds of me of when I read that ABC wanted to cancel Agents of Shield but Disney didn't let them.