How much time a day do you spend online???

JayC

Just curious what is the average amount of time you spend online each day? Being I work online running the sites and all I spend more hours than I often would like online but for those who don't have to be online for your job, would you say you spend the majority of your time watching a computer screen of some type? I see some people on various social media sites that seem to spend almost every waking hour on there and I am amazed, even bewildered a bit.

• Thanks 1

When I'm not sleeping, cooking, going to the bathroom or out of the house. 

I do a lot of work with my laptop or on a computer at my second job and I'm always working so I'm always online during work.

I'm not always posting or doing anything but I'm almost always connected.

• Thanks 1

I'm home from work for a while... so I'm usually browsing on my phone here and there... it became a bit too much, so I've scaled back, but I can't keep up with all the twitters, instagrams, and my spaces, so I just stick to FB and youtube, lol.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I am on more than I would like.  I work on a PC most of the day and the internet is a constant distraction. (This post is case in point.)  I have gotten a bit better about my phone and social media though.  It can get overwhelming, depressing, and just so distracting from the things I would rather be doing.  I have my moments where I will post or thumb scroll facebook or Instagram, but I try not to obsess over it very much or dedicate TOO much time to it.  I do enjoy messenger and texting as a way to keep in touch with friends. I would say I use that more than anything anymore.  

Honestly the concept of "online" has become so abstract I don't even really know how to answer that.  I mean if you mean sitting in a chair surfing the web, that's one thing.  Playing online games? Or does having my phone in my pocket and getting and receiving messages from Facebook Messenger count?

• Thanks 1

Depends on the day I can spend a combined total of 3 hours throughout the day. I used to spend more time checking different websites out but now I have reduced my time. I used to spend a lot of time in Facebook to check out news of the things I enjoy but lately Facebook has gotten too political. It used to be where I would log in and I would see a post I enjoyed about a tv show, movie, etc. Now I rarely make it past the 3rd post in my news feed since usually  I run into a post that makes me roll my eyes and close Facebook. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a freelance artist, so a good deal of my time is spent online communicating with clients, arranging for shipping, banking, gathering photo references, etc. Whether I'm at the drawing board, computer, or easel I try to cop a 5 minute break after every hour of work and I usually spend that on the web. In addition, I stream instead of cable or satellite so I usually unwind at the end of the day with either YouTube, Netflix, or Hulu.

Finally, with it being hellishly hot the last few weeks, I tend to do most of my shopping (toy-hunting, book buying etc) online as well.

In spite of all this, I'm still an old-fashioned, insanely private person, so I tend to avoid the social networking sites, MMOs, etc. I just don't feel a need to tweet pictures of my guinea pig taking a dump in her food bowl (Nico, why!?!) or alert the world when I put on my pants in the morning or order Starbucks.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/8/2018 at 10:00 AM, JayC said:

Just curious what is the average amount of time you spend online each day? Being I work online running the sites and all I spend more hours than I often would like online but for those who don't have to be online for your job, would you say you spend the majority of your time watching a computer screen of some type? I see some people on various social media sites that seem to spend almost every waking hour on there and I am amazed, even bewildered a bit.

At work is 8 or less hours or since I'm in the  IT department for the company I work with. At home maybe 30min in my PC. From my phone I'm always checking Twitter news like the ones you post and bring me to your forum for comments...

Edited by Roadpigmaster
Grammar correction
  • Like 1

I spend 3 or more hours a day online, I go online for many purposes, in this day and age it's almost impossible to operate day to day functions without the use of online services. Also use it for listening to music, watching TV or movies when on the go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a freelance copy editor.  All of my work is done from a computer and almost all of it is done at home.  I communicate with clients via email, I use google docs regularly, and free time/downtime tends to be spent on sites like this one, so I think a good chunk of my waking time is spent online.  It's probably at least 5 hours if not 8 or more many days.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 11:14 PM, Belmont13 said:

Depends on the day I can spend a combined total of 3 hours throughout the day. I used to spend more time checking different websites out but now I have reduced my time. I used to spend a lot of time in Facebook to check out news of the things I enjoy but lately Facebook has gotten too political. It used to be where I would log in and I would see a post I enjoyed about a tv show, movie, etc. Now I rarely make it past the best position pipe in my news feed since usually  I run into a post that makes me roll my eyes and close Facebook. 

I really appreciate your usage style. Otherwise in this era of digitalization, everybody is addicted to social media.