Batman's Wedding...What A Joke

JayC

I have not really read any Batman comics in some time but decided to pick up the big wedding issue this week just to see what happened. All I will say is I will likely not be reading any more Batman comics anytime soon if this is the best they can do.

A lot of hype and a big let down. I didn't enjoy the build to that issue either, especially the Booster Gold stuff. The only issue I have enjoyed was the double date issue with Bruce, Selena, Clark and Lois.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get the issue nor I follow the comic but I saw a video on Youtube where the guy was ranting about being let down and he showed the panels of the issue in the video. From what I gathered from the video and the comments the majority of people feel the same way and I believe they are justified in their disappointment.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, JayC said:

I have not really read any Batman comics in some time but decided to pick up the big wedding issue this week just to see what happened. All I will say is I will likely not be reading any more Batman comics anytime soon if this is the best they can do.

I read Batman regularly, have been for years, so that right there may be why I enjoyed it more than most seem to.  If you pick up JUST this issues, you'll be disappointed.  I would probably say you would even be disappointed if you picked up the few preceding issues.  I think this whole series (since the Rebirth #1) has to be take as a whole.  There's a lot of stuff King sets up in earlier issues that play out later on.  For the record, even though I've been enjoying this run, the ending, for me, was never in doubt.  

It seems reaction to Tom King's Batman is about 50/50 judging by comments I see online.  Personally I think he's doing a great job.

Not to sound cynical, but that's the state of comics nowadays. Wannabe rockstar artists and writers spewing out endless "Event" comics, not for any entertainment value, but in the vain hope that that particular issue is the one M. Night, Nolan, or Gunn will choose to base the next 2 hour sitcom on.

14 hours ago, mako said:

Not to sound cynical, but that's the state of comics nowadays. Wannabe rockstar artists and writers spewing out endless "Event" comics, not for any entertainment value, but in the vain hope that that particular issue is the one M. Night, Nolan, or Gunn will choose to base the next 2 hour sitcom on.

This wedding was an event in that it was a key piece in an ongoing story and because Johnny Come Latelies bought it up hoping that it turns into a high value key issue (not necessarily anyone here, but on Facebook, definitely).  BUT, I don't think this is the sort of event you're thinking of in that the story was entirely contained within the Batman book.  I didn't have to buy a single book outside of the Batman title to know what was going on, and it's been that way since Rebirth started.  I greatly appreciate that because it's so rare these days.  The big, yearly, multi-part "events" that span several different titles are a big part of why I buy so few comics.  

27 minutes ago, yojoebro82 said:

This wedding was an event in that it was a key piece in an ongoing story and because Johnny Come Latelies bought it up hoping that it turns into a high value key issue (not necessarily anyone here, but on Facebook, definitely).  BUT, I don't think this is the sort of event you're thinking of in that the story was entirely contained within the Batman book.  I didn't have to buy a single book outside of the Batman title to know what was going on, and it's been that way since Rebirth started.  I greatly appreciate that because it's so rare these days.  The big, yearly, multi-part "events" that span several different titles are a big part of why I buy so few comics.  

Yeah, I'm sorry, it's an event. But hey, nobody said you can't enjoy an event. If it does it for you, good on you.