Does anyone miss the classic figure style like I do?

Phanstar

Sorry I am sure this has been discussed to death but I have been gone about 10 years or so. I have to say I really don't care for any of the changes or attempts they have made at new style figures. I think they look strange and oddly proportioned. Also I have spent hundreds of dollars collecting old style figures, why do I want new figures that don't really fit or look right with the collection?

I bought the new stuff for a while because I was holding on to a dream, but eventually I accepted I hated them and sold them all off and started just collecting vintage figures. There are still plenty I don't have.

Any one else feel this way?

• Like 1

I don't know. I really did like the 25th Anniversary and onwards stuff, though to be fair, most of my G.I. Joe 4" collection is figures from 2007 and onwards.

However, I do still mix my 25th and onwards stuff with older stuff from the original Real American Hero line from the 1980's-1990's, along with the 2001-2005 line. So I don't have any issues personally.

To be fair as well, some of the early original 1980's figures had really large heads compare to their bodies, though I will admit, on the Cobra side, it was okay for characters who where wearing fully covered helmets, like Cobra Commander, the Vipers, and Destro(If you like the concept he is wearing a metal face mask similar to Dr. Doom, instead of a skin tight advance mask that mimics his facial expressions).

• 6 months later...

I would be down to see what someone could do with 3D printing & make some 6" scale classic style figs...complete with the crazy articulation & rubber bands and all...I'm not saying the whole line but at least Stalker & Cobra Commander...

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking about this lately...I fell for the modern-style figures. I just chalked it up to the reality that Hasbro may never make figures like the vintage ones ever again due to production costs, metal components, etc. And I even used to convince myself that the newer figures were superior since they didn't sport brittle plastic or o-rings that could break and had to be replaced. You didn't have to worry about broken thumbs or crotches anymore, and the new figures had added articulation. I've come to realize, though, that none of that matters. Let me back-up a little...

Over the last several months, I had decided that I was gonna get serious about rebuilding my vintage collection. Yeah, I had dabbled some over the years...I'd buy a vintage figure here, and a modern wave there, but I had never went all-in, as it were...I'm talking about MOC figures, MISB vehicles...a truly mint and loose collection that rivaled my original childhood one. I'm even getting ready to restore some of the handful of toys that actually survived the great purge of the early 2000s. (lol) I just realized one day that I'm not getting any younger, and if I'm gonna get serious about truly rebuilding my collection, I had better get on with it...

So...since I've been in the throes of a new collecting era, I've been re-familiarizing myself with those good-ol' vintage o-ring Joes. And yeah, I've discovered all of the elbow cracks my figures have that I wasn't aware of, an issue that sometimes comes with age (or, I've learned, with specific waves). I've nit-picked over the paint rubs they have, realizing they're not as mint as I remember, and I've gotten discouraged over brand-new, sealed figures I've bought, only to discover they have cracked-elbows, too. But I'll tell ya...the fun I've had with it all, the memories, and the awesome look and feel of those old figures can't be paralleled. Now I know, when you line a vintage figures up next to its modern counterpart, it looks dated, pudgy even, perhaps, but...I was holding a vintage figure the other day and just appreciating how naturally it moved when I manipulated it. The combination of ball-jointed neck, o-ring, t-hook hip connector, and ball-jointed shoulders just makes for such a fluid-moving action figure that can be posed quite naturally despite the rivets, pins, and quaint sculpting. As much as I love the modern ones, simply due to what they are, you just can't get that same feeling from them...

In conclusion, this has all got me to thinking...how cool would it be to someday get brand-new o-ring Joes, and I'm talking about the exact same packaging, cardback art, file cards by Larry Hama, and even the same style, scale, and even plastic quality of the originals...well, maybe not the exact same plastic. Maybe a type that wouldn't get brittle and break over time. (lol) But...wouldn't it be so very cool to see a new o-ring wave at the store, you turn the cardback over and see all of those tiny little pictures on the back, hinting at the new characters that were available again? And I don't even mean the same characters, per-se...I mean it'd be cool to see a line just pick up where the old one left off, brand-new characters again, with maybe upgrades of a few familiar faces sprinkled throughout each wave, just like in the old days...

I'm not going to waste any more time looking back though, or wishing for what might have been, or what could be...I've missed enough vintage stuff to last me the rest of my life...I'll always be pursuing the old stuff to satisfy that part of me. I'm even excited about the new six-inch stuff coming out later this year(?). I've been wanting a six-inch line of Joes for years, so I'm super excited. I kind of expect Hasbro to actually do some sort of commemorative 3-3/4" line, too, kinda like that Retro Kenner line they did for Star Wars last year...I think that would be utterly fantastic...

My short answer? Yes, I miss the classic style, too, Phanstar. (lol)

Not me. I had to replace broken Orings on 13 figures last night. While I have great memories of buying the classic style figures at KB Toys and Toys R Us, I need to continue to phase them out of my collection and replace them with 25A/ROC/30A style figures, so I am looking to make trades. If anybody is interested, let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, SubZero said:

Not me. I had to replace broken Orings on 13 figures last night. While I have great memories of buying the classic style figures at KB Toys and Toys R Us, I need to continue to phase them out of my collection and replace them with 25A/ROC/30A style figures, so I am looking to make trades. If anybody is interested, let me know. 

I'm kind of on the fence right now...I'm in the process of rebuilding a mint/loose vintage collection, and I've bought several mint/loose figures fairly recently, but they've either had busted o-rings, rusty screws, or cracked elbows, or sometimes all three. Then there's the hassle of cleaning the screws, because I've learned that the screws are specific to the figures, and if you don't match them, they could strip the inner threads, or even stress the plastic ...never mind the fact that the plastic itself tends to get more brittle as time passes, so the figures will only become more fragile. But I've refurbished several figures so far, and for now they're great...but who knows how long they'll stay that way. It is nice to just buy a modern figure for your collection, and not have to worry about all those issues. But then it is awful nice when you've got one cleaned-up and put back together like new, too...so I see both sides.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 11:55 PM, Devilbat said:

"Over the last several months, I had decided that I was gonna get serious about rebuilding my vintage collection. Yeah, I had dabbled some over the years...I'd buy a vintage figure here, and a modern wave there, but I had never went all-in, as it were...I'm talking about MOC figures, MISB vehicles...a truly mint and loose collection that rivaled my original childhood one. I'm even getting ready to restore some of the handful of toys that actually survived the great purge of the early 2000s. (lol) I just realized one day that I'm not getting any younger, and if I'm gonna get serious about truly rebuilding my collection, I had better get on with it..."

So how goes it with rebuilding the vintage collection?  Ironically I am basically doing the exact same thing.   I broke my collection up into 3 distinct eras.   Childhood Collection, Early 2000's collection, Current Collection.   I have been trying to focus on rebuilding my Childhood collection first.  Picked up a Cobra CAT, and a Mauler in Feb because they were the two high dollar items left that I had as a child.  What all have you picked up?

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to point out there are some rumours that there is going to be a Wal-mart Exclusive 3.75" G.I. Joe Retro/Vintage line, which will include figures and vehicles.  No other info or pics at this time, but if these are like the recent Re-release/Reissue Hasbro Vintage stuff(Like G1 Transformers, and Kenner sculpted Star Wars and The Real Ghostbusters stuff) that has come out in the recent 2 years, then it is possible that these might be O-Ring style figures.  If true, I assume these will be either recast or newly re-sculpted figures of older figures, since I assume the original molds for many of these must be damaged or broken. 

Again, no official word, and if there is in indication that these are going to be O-ring style figures or 25th Anniversary and over style figures. 

These I assume are being done because of the Snake Eyes movie that is suppose to come out either late this year or early next year(Thanks to Convid-19), similar to the Wal-mart Exclusive G1 TF's, and Kenner GB figures due to their respective Bumblebee and GB: Afterlife movies(Granted, Afterlive is delayed, but that was the reason for the Re-issue Kenner line).  I mean, it seems to be working for TF so far, while GB is too early to say(Though I can't see why it wouldn't). 

But if true, good for those who love the old vintage style figures.  My hope is that if the this line does last a good while, that they do a good range of figures from the entire RAH line of 1982-1994(Since there are still some good figures from the 1990's), and not just stick with 1982-around or just before 1988.  They can still do figures mainly from before 1988, but I also hope they can consider doing a few 1990's figures as well.  Mind you, I also personally wouldn't mind them considering the TRU Exclusive 1997-1998 stuff, and some of the 2000-2006 stuff as well. 

Regardless if these are going to be O-Ring or 25th style, I myself may consider picking up a few of these here and there, depending price, and what characters and versions of characters they do.

Yeah I read about that over on Hisstank.com.  Good news indeed.  I will buy at least 1 of every thing they put out if it is anything like the G1 Rereleases.  I just dont get it.  Sure vintage O ring Joes have their issues, but man.  When you like go to Yojoe.com and just click the pop up and look at every Beach Head figure ever made its just awful.  Every modern figure is stretched and lanky and disproportional and poses weird.  I can't do it.  To each their own though... So long as the put out even just a LITTLE vintage Joe here and there, I will be a happy camper.   

If indeed there is going to be a Wal-mart Exclusive Vintage O-ring style toys from the 1980's-1990's molds coming out, I do hope they do a few things a bit differently as well.  In re-issue/reproduction of the old figures, It's a given that some of these figures may have slightly different paint or colour differences(Different shades, maybe some colours a bit different, not bothering to paint certain details while others will have more painted details, different colour accessories, etc.).  But here are some things I hope Hasbro considers if indeed O-ring figures:

- Keep the back of the figures being held by screws, and keep them at a stand type screw for a standard type screwdriver.  No update with a weird or not too common screw head to use be used with a certain type of not to common screwdriver(Example: Triangle that many Kids Meal toys usually use).  Or glued shut like other lines(Including the 25th Anniversary and up lines).  Maybe even have the screwheads be the option of Crosshead and Flathead, since now a days, it is common to see this once and a while.  Makes it easier to chose which ever screwdriver you can use.

- Maybe all the O-ring figures could have a paper instructions on how to fix or replace the O-Ring of their Joe figure, since it's a simple thing to do, yet there are those who don't know, never knew, or still don't know how to do it.  Include info on the right size of O-ring to get.  This would only mean something to those who have no problems opening the package of their toy, as it wouldn't be a big deal for those who MOC their toys.  I mean, on 1 hand, it may sort of kill any chance of people wanting to buy a replacement figure by going to Wal-mart for Hasbro(eBay and other sources for sellers), but on the other, it helps being more environmentally friendly, and not have a landfill be full of Broken toys that could of been easily fixed.

- To use a plastic on the hands where it is less likely to have broken thumbs, a common problem with Joe figures from this era that used a stiffer plastic.  For me, I'd be okay if it's the softer type of plastic used now a days, so long as the figures can still hold the accessories.  As far as I know, the 2002-2006 lines didn't have any broken thumb issues, so maybe use that type of plastic if anything.

- Assuming the vehicles will include a driver for them, have the driver figures be offered in both the vehicle, as well as a different deco version offered in single packs.  I'm sure collectors would of loved to have had some of their favourite drivers in RAH style single packaging, and it gives Hasbro the option of making back money on the molds(Even more so if they had to be replaced or fixed).  Ideas like this includes the regular Version 1(V1) green suit Wild Bill with the Dragonfly Coptor and then the Single pack could be the V1 Wild Bill in Sunbow Cartoon Colours, V1 Wild Weasal in his normal colours with the Cobra Rattler and the Single Pack has the black details be replace with blue to make it Marvel Comics like colours or just have the Visor be repainted in a reflective like silver but keep his black parts black, and what not.  However, these would probably need to be released at different times, so say 1 year, we have Wild Bill with the Dragon Coptor, and then next year, they have the Single Carded Sunbow Wild Bill.  Might be a good way to get those who only collect figures and never(Or rarely) vehicles or playsets due to space, budget, and what not.

- If they decide to do the various electronic sound effects figures(Talking Commanders, Sonic Fighters, etc.), then either make their backpacks much smaller but still be able to do the sounds since the Technology should be now there, or don't have any of the electronic features at all and just do a smaller/lighter backpack that is based on their original oversize backpack.

- No Chase Variants, though I'll be honest, it doesn't seem to be a thing the last decade or so.  Still, I don't want to see that happen.  So for example, for V2 Snake Eyes, I personally think for instead of doing chase variants of different colour Timbers being released at the same time(A stunt what they did with Sigma 6 Arctic Snake Eyes, 25th Anniversary single card V2 Snake Eyes, and the Rise Of Cobra Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes), maybe instead, offer V2 Snakes with different colour Timbers in different years.  So for example, the 1st year that V2 Snake Eyes is offer is White(Like the original vintage), the 2nd year it's Grey, the 3rd year Black, the 4th year Brown, etc.  Or at the very least, if they decide to do Multipacks with re-issue/redeco figures, include the different colour Timbers in those type of sets(But no Chase variants of these sets) and keep the Single Carded white. 

- Like Wild Bill I mentioned eariler, I wouldn't mind some characters being in Sunbow/DIC and Marvel Comics colours, like V2 Snake Eyes in Sunbow Grey, Flint in Sunbow with Green Shirt and Grey hat(Sorry, I forgot what you call that), V1 Scarlett in DIC colours, etc.  So long as the characters deco is strongly different from it's original figure colours, as I think they should release the figure colours 1st.   

Lastly, 1 crazy idea I have is having some Custom G.I. Joe Packs, where you can customize and assemble your own G.I. Joe figure using some figure parts and accessories in a package.  I mean, just because the Vintage RAH line didn't do this, doesn't mean Hasbro shouldn't consider it.  Though I will admit, this is something that might make more sense about a year or 2 after they see how these Wal-mart reissues do, and after they get some more molding options, as it might be more pricier than a standard figure thanks to the number of parts being used.  Having said that, I think the last few years, we've all notice a stronger rise of kids, teens, and adults customizing or modifying various stuff, including toys, video game consoles, clothing, cars, etc., so there is a possible market for these.   Even more so if it gets kids interested in customizing an action figure.  However, I think these sets might have to be market at 8 Years Old and Up, not 5 and Up.

They can sell various different sets that allow you to customize your own Green shirt, Steel Brigade, pilot, diver, the various Cobra Troopers, and what not.  Maybe even be able to customized a actual figure to be a close approximation of you as a Joe/Cobra Trooper.  The idea would be to included at least 1 base upper torso, and 2-4 different options for heads, pairs of arms and legs, pelvis pieces, some accessories(weapons, backpacks, helmets, etc..), some extra back screws and O-rings, and instructions(If they want to include a screwdriver, that's a option, but doubt if really needed).   Perhaps some parts may not be painted(Like hair on the heads) to further encourage customizing by painting the figures.  Could also do a few different skin tone colours in different packs as well.  If nothing else, it would give collectors just some extra parts for fixing or replacing some parts of their current Joe figures.

Curious what you guys think of these ideas.

Well I think some of those are neat ideas.  I think in reality the Wal Mart line will probably be just like the G1 Transformers line and the Star Wars Vintage line.   Going by that I would expect figures that were either identical or almost identical to the original toys in packaging that looks the same.  Probably 83-85 toys, if I had to guess it would be the original 1983 Swivel arm line.   I do hope they do something about thumbs.  That would be my only request. I don't think o rings or o ring instructions are an issue. We all have the internet and information on how to change those is readily available.  Most of the people buying these figures are going to be us older collectors.  As for any of the other more creative ideas, I think they are all GREAT!!! I don't think we will see anything like that again.  At least not in O rings.   But I am happy with collector geared reissues.  Bring em on, I will order 2 cases day 1. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2018 at 7:58 AM, Roadpigmaster said:

I agree. Nothing like the better quality RAH Joe's...

I miss those days so much.  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this retro line.  I really hope it turns out good, then I just hope I will be able to find some.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Shame it turned out to just be modern figs on retro cards. :( :( :( 

• 5 months later...

So, I have gone back and forth several times on this subject.  When the 25th line began to hit, I was very much against it.  Especially the diaper crotches of the first run.  I had also been back in the collecting game for about 4 years at that point and had amassed a large RAH style collection.  The modern style figures didn't really trigger any nostalgia on my part because I had spent those last years reliving my childhood dreams of grabbing up all the figures and vehicles I had always wanted as a kid, but never had the money for.  My nostalgia was already used up with toys that I actually remembered from long ago.  The new figures seemed more like a money grab.  My opinion towards them became more negative when I found out they would have different sized foot holes and backpack holes.  That meant a whole bunch of accessories would not be compatible with the two lines.  It was looking more and more like I was going to let that line pass me by.  I was a diehard RAH guy.

Then, I gave in to temptation and actually bought one.  More specifically, I bought 10.  The first two 5 packs that were released.  They had their flaws, but I felt they were overall well made.  Most had better articulation than the RAH line.  All had more detail.  And the softer plastics they were made of meant less stress on things like thumbs and elbows.  There were no metal rivet eye sores holding the arms together.  A lot of them came with better accessories and most even had working holsters.  Small things that were few and far between on the RAH style.  Surprisingly, there were even different body sizes.  Every figure was not the same exact height.  As the modern line grew, I found myself grabbing more and more of them, slowly replacing my RAH collection.  The old school style figures were being sent into boxes and bins.

When the movie(s) came out and the figure line that followed, I became even more immersed.  The head sculpts were some of the most detailed I had seen in that scale.  They continued to pump out awesome figures, and some highly underrated vehicles as well.  The ROCC and Rhino are two of my favorite vehicles.  Hasbro also dipped into the 4" Marvel figures around this time, and the modern era figures blended in so well with those figures I was finally able to create so many of my dream match ups.

The RAH figures still hold a dear place in my heart when it comes to nostalgia.  They also hold a big place in my collection when it comes to army building.  But, I do believe if I end up deciding to continue to grow my collection, I am going to be leaning towards the newer figures.  So many of their highly detailed and articulated figures have become my definitive versions of the characters I grew up loving as a kid.  My collection will never be one or the other, but going forward I believe it will begin to skew to one side.

Great post.  I love the DTC Vehicles and have a ROCC still that I use with my vintage O ring Joes.   At one time I had quite a few of the DTC figures and I did actually like that line.  I think someone needs to come up with a definitive way to break down the various generations of 4 inch Joes.   For me in my collection its:

'vintage style' O Ring Joes - This to me includes the entire vintage line, the 1997-2002 RAHC figs, and SOME Joe Vs Cobra figs.  The defining factor for me is metal rivets. 

Modern O ring Joes - includes Joe Vs Cobra and anything with an O ring that doesnt have metal rivets

25th Anniversary/ and beyond 

18 hours ago, Phanstar said:

'vintage style' O Ring Joes - This to me includes the entire vintage line, the 1997-2002 RAHC figs, and SOME Joe Vs Cobra figs.  The defining factor for me is metal rivets. 

Modern O ring Joes - includes Joe Vs Cobra and anything with an O ring that doesnt have metal rivets

25th Anniversary/ and beyond 

This is a good way of breaking things down.  I think the metal rivets is a great feature to focus on when telling the eras apart.  The quality of the modern O-Rings should not be held against that of the Vintage era.  

When I use the term 'modern' when describing Joes, it is solely for the non O-ring figures of the 25th Anniversary and beyond.  Which is funny because in the 2000's, 'modern' was used for the new non-Vintage era figures.

I feel like there were a few gems in the modern O-rings, but not that much that I feel I need to track anything down from them if I already missed it.  It's hard to believe that the wonky proportions and limited articulation of the JvC, SpyTroops, and VvV were made by the same company that did either the vintage Joes or the 25th era Joes.  It is such a weird period of Joe history.  

• 1 month later...

If they did a new vintage o-ring style line, I'd buy those figures in a heartbeat.  I like the Classified figures but they don't feel like GI Joe and they are too hard to get.  Even the newer 3.75 look like GI Joe.  I don't know if the o-ring figures are too expensive or what but I'd love it if they'd reissue them.

• 4 months later...

Wouldn't say I miss it, but I greatly appreciate it. I still find myself browsing vintage Joes with enough regularity.

I was a dumb kid, well, dumber than I am now at least.

Destroyed all my originals, including HQ and vehicles, making a very fiery and dangerous stop-motion movie with a friend back in the mid-80s. It was trash and didn't even work out right - we had no idea what we were doing. That was done during a period when I figured I should start growing up, so what better way to leave my youth behind than in a flaming toxic ball of plastic, wire and cardboard? 😹

When I got into collecting toys, not that many years later really, I never followed up with Joes until the much later redesigns. First one I got was Charbroil from the ROC movie line on an impulse while at a TRU, and that was it for me. Hooked. 😆  I love them, snagged a lot from that point on and managed to get a bunch of 25th figures really cheap from Amazon sellers before the secondary market blew up.

But none of them - good as they look to me with their scuplts and details and bazillion accessories each - none of them have the character and simple promise of fun of the originals. And, yeah, mixing the new and old is just weird. They do not play well together. 😆
It kinda fits with my view on costume design: the simpler the better. The Flash (DC) is not a favorite character of mine to read, but his costume design is one of my favorite in comics. I totally get it if someone were to describe 2007+ Joes as suffering from too much detail. They can be a bit overwrought.

I only have a small handful of originals again now, and I don't plan to get too many more along the way. But the ones I do get mean more to me, along with they why. Original Rock 'n Roll is still king of the Joes for me.