What are your top 10 figures of 2017?

yojoebro82

OK, I'm sitting in my figure room looking it all over and I think I have a solid Top 10 list for 2017. I tried to work in a few sleepers that I don't think I'll see on other people's lists: A couple of nods to the dying 3.75" scale and a couple that Mattel haters are sure to scoff at. Also, if you think listing a two pack for one slot is a "cheat", let me apologize in advance. So there's something for everyone!

Honorable mention--DC Multiverse Justice League Batmobile--

A very sweet piece with tons of detail, a CAR that scales well with 6" figures is pretty hard to come by and this fits just about any 6" Batman figure well. Rubber tires and a few extra paint apps for weathering effects would have really put this thing over the top, but that is not a complaint. For the price point, this thing is just about perfect.

Honorable mention--Marvel Legends Cyclops/Dark Phoenix 2 pack--

I drove 2 hours to get this set. It's a great set. Flawless, really. And those THREE different heads for Dark Phoenix? Come on! This is killer! Why didn't it make the Top 10? Because I'm one of those rare collectors who still likes the majority of Toybiz Marvel Legends. I like the TB versions of these two figures, and this just wasn't a must own for me. Yet I drove 2 hours to get it? I know. Crazy, right?

10. Playmaates TMNT Usagi Yojimbo (blue kimono)--

The version that I've always wanted. As a kid I saw him in the cartoon wearing this outfit and always wondered why the action figure looked completely different. I have him displayed proudly with the rest of my vintage Turtles in the Sewer playset.

9. DC Multiverse Wonder Woman (TRU exclusive)--

I think this figure looks really good. Nice sword, shield, and lasso and a head sculpt that is much improved over the previous movie WW from Dawn of Justice. Wonder Woman was my favorite geek movie of 2017 by quite a long shot and I had to represent her on this list.

8. Mezco One 12 Superman (Dawn of Justice)--

I bought 3 high-end figures this year and they all made the list. This Superman is AWESOME. The Cavil likeness, the extra heads, hands, the posability, the detail in the outfit...the whole thing is just high quality.

7. Marvel Legends Jessica Jones (Netflix)--

I am a big, big fan of Hasbro's digital painting and I wanted at least one figure to make this list that I thought represented the technique well. This Jessica Jones figure nails it. Dead on actor likeness, great sculpt, paint apps, and articulation. This figure is an A+. A can't wait to see where this technology takes the Infinity War and 6" Star Wars figures.

6. GI Joe Big Lob--

The GI Joe fan has been hurting for a while, but Big Lob was a 2017 Club exclusive, and as a life-long GI Joe fan, I always wanted this obscure character from the 1987 animated movie to make it into toy form. I had to over pay for him a bit on the after market but he was worth it. They did a good job putting this guy together.

5. Marvel Legends Mary Jane (TRU Spider-Man/Mary Jane 2 pack)--

When I started reading Spider-Man comics, MJ was Peter Parker's WIFE. Not girl friend, not one of a dozen friend supporting characters, WIFE. That has since been erased by certain people who found that bit of Spidey lore inconvenient, but I still always wanted an MJ figure and this one is great. She's missing the John Romita bangs, but other than that, this has all the things that make a good Marvel Legends figure. A welcome addition to an ML collection that I consider all but complete.

4. DC ICONS Super Sons 2 pack--

Damian Wayne Robin and Jonathan Kent Superboy. Am I cheating? I don't know. But I wanted BOTH of these kids. Damian is the best version we've gotten so far with great articulation and weapons. As for Jonathan...I've wanted to see Superman as a father for quite some time (he's a natural father figure) and it's being explored (and being explored WELL) in the comics right now. Getting this figure relatively quickly is cool. (I will move on now before getting too much into how the ICONS line is now dead and how DC Collectible is the most mis managed toy line out there today).

3. SH Figuarts Suicide Squad Harley Quinn--

I've seen this one make a lot of people's top 10 and for good reason. A spot on likeness to the movie Harley and just an overall beautiful figure. And of course, accessories, and articulation are all top notch.

2. DC Multiverse King Shark BAF--

Mattel has done an overall good job with most of their BAFs this year: Rookie, Ares, Steppenwolf are all cool, but they don't come close to this guy. Everyone was trying to build him from a wave of characters that almost no one wanted. Yeah, that will make it tough. But it's worth it. This guy is a beast. Articulation could be better but the sculpting and paint apps are going to make up for it. Best BAF of the year.

1. Mezco One 12 Batman (Dawn of Justice)--

I had to put this at number one. Even if you are not a fan of Batfleck or Dawn of Justice (which I gained a new appreciation for after rewatching the extended cut recently), this is just a great over all Batman figure. I love the feel to his outfit, the cape, the heads, hands and variety of accessories. He fits in great with all of my other retail 6" stuff. A sweet piece, worthy of the #1 spot.

Well, that's mine. How about yours?

• Like 1

God in Heaven I suck at these, but let's go for it.

First, for what ever reason, my area doesn't always get figures in a timely fashion (or occasionally at all), so one or two of these, while bought in 2017, may or may not actually be quantifiable as "2017 figures." If not, my apologies, now get over yourself and read the bloody list.

Honorable Mention: The remainder of the A-Force Boxed set (see my comments on She-Hulk)

Honorable Mention: Remainder of Defenders Boxed set

In no particular order:

Hasbro Marvel Retro 6" Captain America--

Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense, at least for a guy who hated the Cap-Wolf figure this was spawned from, but Hasbro's minor Redeco really made this bad-boy get up and sing. My new Go-To Cap.

Playmates TMNT Usagi Yojimbo (blue komono)--

I cherry pick the current Turtles line very diligently, but when I first heard Usagi was coming, I HAD to have him. Of course, he would have to be the sought-after figure of his wave, forcing me to grab the good-not-great Samurai Usagi as a placeholder. But low and behold while Christmas shopping a couple weeks back, I found him on a nearly completely empty set of TMNT pegs at Wally-World. Some days you get the bear...

Hasbro Defenders Boxed Set Jewel--

The only problem I have with the Netflix MCU shows is their lack of suits. So when I learned the Has' was giving us Jessica Jones in her superhero jams, it went strait to the top of my want list. Sure its just a redeco of Silk, but its an excellently done redeco... AND a figure that HAD to be done.

Mattel WWE Basic Series Nia Jax--

Nia Jax in real life, with the exception of being extremely attractive, does not fit easily into any of society's preconceived notions of what a female should look like. So when Mattel released a figure perfectly capturing her unique body-type, once again, Mako had to have it. And Kudos to Matty for doing it. This is no Bucky Cap body, you can't just make it cost out by banging out twenty other wrestler chicks on the same tool.

Hasbro Spider-Man Homecoming Captain Universe--

Do I really have to explain myself on this one? From the moment I read my first Captain Universe comic as a kid I've been in love with the whole CU concept. "The Hero Who Could Be You!" I've wanted a Captain Universe figure since ToyBiz first started doing Marvel figs. With a simple alternate head pack in, the Has gave it to me.

Hasbro GOTG: V2 Star-Lord vs. Ego 2pk. Ego figure--

I hate the GOTG movies, you people know this (actually Vol. 2 wasn't that bad), but dang I love Kurt Russell! And any opportunity to get a figure of him, with the new face-printing tech no less, and you know what ol' Jack Burton says...

Hasbro Spidey and Mary Jane 2pk.Mary Jane Watson--

Basically everything Yojoe said...

Hasbro A-Force Boxed Set She-Hulk--

Man, if I could, I'd put the entire set on this list. But if you held me down and forced me, I'd have to admit Jen is the reason I bought it in the first place. In one figure Hasbro fixed ALL the mistakes both they AND Toybiz made with She-Hulks of the past. Welcome to the job guys.

DCC iZombie 'Liv Moore (Season 2)--

Okay, I'm not exactly a fan of the show, but lets face it, Rose McIver is hot. She was hot on Power Rangers, she's hot on iZombie, and despite no access to Hasbro's face-print tech (that again?) this figure captures an amazing likeness (far better than the Season 1 figure did). Plus, for accessories you get a scalpel, a rat, an iPhone, a coffee, the show's evil energy drink, a drink-holder for said beverages..., and a brain in a Tupperware bowl. What more do we need!?!

Marvel Retro 6" Black Widow--

I wasn't sure about this line at first, but one figure I WAS sure of was the Black Widow. My old Toybiz version was loooong overdue for a comic-style replacement, and Retro Tasha serves excellently. And yes, I kept the original head which just seems to scream ex-Russian spy.

I cherry pick the current Turtles line very diligently, but when I first heard Usagi was coming, I HAD to have him.

There have been a couple of modern Playmates releases that have been real gifts to the vintage collector (or should I just say "ME"): I bought two of the Mouser sets and three of the Krangs (but when they're on my toy shelf, they're called "Utrom soldiers"). With those offerings plus the Usagi, this is a line I don't normally collect but still need to keep my eye on.

I love your lists, guys...although I'll have to admit I was never bitten by the TMNT bug, outside of the videos games, that is. I have been tempted a few times to collect some, and I guess I'm from the right generation to appreciate them. I suppose really it goes back to the priority notion, that I can't afford to collect everything I like...

Anyway, I'd like to share my own top-ten list, and it may include figures I don't own yet. I'm not sure I bought enough figures this past year to fill up a list of ten. (lol) Here goes, in no particular order...

10. Duke (50th Anniversary)

I only found this figure about two weeks ago, after looking for what seems like a year. And I guess I may be including figures that weren't necessarily produced in 2017...just the ones I bought over the course of the year. Anyway, I love this particular take on Duke...I was prepared to hate yet another seemingly bland version of what has become almost a bland character...I knew he would be comprised of repainted parts and accessories, but after having him in-hand, he's nearly perfect. The colors, web gear, weapons...all of it comes together brilliantly to make a great modern-era Duke, and I love it way more than I ever thought I would...

9. Luke Skywalker (The Last Jedi)

I'm referring to the basic/5-POA version. (I know how much you love those, yojoe...) (lol) I really have a soft spot for these figures. They sport a simplistic charm that almost hearkens back to the old Kenner days, but with excellent modern sculpting. Now I love the 3-3/4" Black Series, don't get me wrong...characters like the Praetorian Guards, Kylo, and Rey just beg for added articulation, but I love how the 5-POA figures look, feel, and stand on their own. A pet-peeve of mine is having great figures that refuse to stand properly (I'm looking at you, 3-3/4" Black Series Finn!!), and these new 5-POA ones stand perfectly every time, not that it matters in this day and age when you can find stands for any scale. But paired with the excellent sculpting, and you've got a delightfully fun scale to collect. I love them, and Luke stands-out (no pun intended) among the rest for me. He just looks and feels great. And these figures no longer feel like the step-backwards the initial waves of 5-POA figures did. The sculpting and paint are phenomenal, which to me makes-up for any lack of articulation they may feature...

8. Captain America (Marvel Legends 12-inch)

Once again, I'm not sure this figure came out in 2017, that's just when I found it for an incredible deal. At first glance I was not impressed with Hasbro's next attempt at a Marvel Legends 12-inch line...Cap's head-sculpts seemed squished with his eyes looking weird and too far apart, and his boring pose in the package made his uniform look boring, too. It was a big "meh" for me at first, but I love the modern take on Cap, and at the price I found him at, I just could not pass up the opportunity to give him a second chance. Boy am I glad I did...this figure is fantastic. His sculpting is spot-on, and his head-sculpts don't look near as bad to me in-hand, for some reason. They almost have a "Jack-Kirby-esque" look to them, which may be what the sculptor was going for. His paint is perfect, the detailing is insane...just a great figure all-around, and it has made me want the others, which brings me to...

7. Thor (Marvel Legends 12-inch)

I want this figure for the same reasons Cap is great, times ten. I've seen it a few times at Toys-R-Us, and I've drooled over it every time... (lol)

6. Wonder Woman (DC Multiverse/TRU Exclusive)

I have to agree with yojoe on this one...the movie was just loads of fun, and that, in-turn, always makes me want to seek-out the action figures. But not only that, it's like yojoe said...the sculpting on this figure was such an improvement over the BvS one (which really isn't saying much). (lol) It actually resembles Gal Gadot, and Mattel has really upped their game, so to speak, when it comes to sculpting and paint, and this figure is a shining example of that.

5. Rio Blast (Masters of the Universe Classics)

This figure may have come-out a little while before 2017, but that's when I finally bought him. I fell hard, hook, line, and sinker, for the now-defunct Masters of the Universe Classics line this past year. I know I'm way late in the game, and Super 7 has since picked-up the property (although they've priced me right out of collecting it as regularly as I would have at a lower price-point), and I had previously flirted with collecting these figures over the years, but 2017 was the first year I decided I was all-in, as it were. Maybe I was suffering from burn-out from all the other lines I was so familiar with (especially Star Wars, thank you, Disney), but MOTUC was such a breath of fresh air for me as a collector...unique and interesting characters, excellent production quality, and healthy doses of equal-parts nostalgia and imagination all came together to make it my favorite line to collect. As a kid, I only owned a handful of MOTU figures, but Rio Blast was one of them, and I loved him immensely, as goofy a concept as he was...a cybernetic cowboy sherrif transplanted to a far-away planet full of dragons, barbarians, and monsters? Yes, please!! (lol) So when Mattel came-out with him for the new line, I knew I had to have the updated version of my old favorite. Now I didn't buy him right away...I don't know if it was because of the price-point, the exclusive nature of Mattycollector, or what caused me to hesitate on this figure exactly, but I did at first, although I knew someday I'd have him eventually. There was just never any doubt; that's how much I loved the original. Then I watched and read all of the online reviews and was sooo disappointed. I learned of all of the issues this particular figure suffered from. In the end, however, I decided to take a chance on it since I loved the character so much, and as with the twelve-inch ML Cap, am I ever glad I did. This figure is absolutely fantastic, so much so that the what-I-perceive-as very minor issues people have reported are almost non-existent to me. I won't go into all of those here, and some of you guys may already know what I'm referring to, but to me this figure is a fantastic update to an old personal favorite. I hesitate to call it perfect, but it almost is for me...

I'll have to get back with you guys on the rest of my list...I've gotta go run some errands, and perhaps I'll have some time to careful consider which figures will populate the latter-half of my list. Great thread, yojoe!!

• Like 1

9. Luke Skywalker (The Last Jedi)

This guy almost made my list but I forgot about Usagi Yojimbo and I had make an edit. 3.75" is my scale of choice for Star Wars and I wanted this guy for over a year. If I had liked Last Jedi more, he may have made the cut.

I cherry pick the current Turtles line very diligently, but when I first heard Usagi was coming, I HAD to have him.

There have been a couple of modern Playmates releases that have been real gifts to the vintage collector (or should I just say "ME"): I bought two of the Mouser sets and three of the Krangs (but when they're on my toy shelf, they're called "Utrom soldiers"). With those offerings plus the Usagi, this is a line I don't normally collect but still need to keep my eye on.

Same here, though I was only able to find one of the Mouser sets (fortunately, I still had a couple of mousers from the 2003 series line).

Okay...you guys will be proud to know I bought my very first TMNT figure while I was out. I bought a Mega Bloks Michelangelo. I've often thought that was the ideal scale and type of line that would suit TMNT well, and I also thought it would be a nice little introductory line to see if I'd like them. TMNT is about like MOTU for me...it's something that's always been on my pop-culture radar, as it were, I had just never indulged or give it much serious attention enough to collect it. This little figure is pretty great, but I'm confused, and maybe you veteran fans can clear something up for me...why does he have a pair of tighty-whiteys on?! (lol)

Back to my list:

4. Super Powers Wonder Woman (Mattel)

It's kinda odd that Wonder Woman would make my list twice, but I guess that's how much of a fan the film has made me. I love the character now more than I ever had, even though I've appreciated her to an extent over the years. I grew up loving the Super Friends cartoon that featured her prominently, and I was always a sucker for the Super Powers line as well. Combine those notions with my new appreciation for the character, and you get the recent Super Powers Wonder Woman from Mattel. This was already a great action figure, but packaged in the retro Super Powers packaging, it's simply perfect.

3. C-3PO ( 5-inch(?) Walgreens Exclusive (The Last Jedi))

I don't know exactly what scale this figure is, but it's like those figures you see at Family Dollar and/or Dollar General, except this particular figure came in a cool "Last Jedi" window box. It's the only time I've ever seen this figure, and they had a Rey I wanted, too, but I've never seen her again, either. I got this figure on a whim, but after I got it home and opened it, I have to say...it is absolutely the best sculpt of C-3PO I have ever seen. I did not expect to feel that way at all about a figure that only has four points of articulation...his legs don't even move! I just find myself loving this figure...I just don't know where to put it in my collection. Someday, when I get my phone fixed, I'll try to snap some pics of this figure next to my awesome Black Series Threepio...that one's obviously a superior figure, but I was shocked at how well-made the 4-POA one is, and how well it holds-up against the Black Series figures in general...

2. Leader Class Optimus Prime (Titans Return)

The original was an all-time favorite for me, so to get a modern update was a real treat. Great articulation, awesome details and colors, solid costruction...it's a winner all-around. The ratchet-joint in the left-arm seems to be loose, so it's not as tight as his right-arm, but otherwise I'm very pleased with it. I contacted Hasbrotoyshop.com about it, and they referred me to the corporate site, which I haven't called or contacted, yet. I bought it back in the spring, so I've probably waited too long...

1. Captain America (Marvel Legends Concept Art version/Abomination Wave)

I truly feel like this figure is highly underrated...at first glance he might look a tad boring, and it seems like the general consensus is that it's hard to be excited about a version of a character that had never seen the big screen or a page in the comics, but I find that it's probably my new all-time favorite Cap. He just sports a very dynamic yet simple, almost streamlined look. And, although I'm not a huge fan, his colors are reminiscent of the New England Patriots' uniform colors. I thought that was kinda neat and somewhat appropriate that someone might have been inspired by those particular colors...

There are many, many other figures that I'm sure deserve to be on this list, especially some I don't actually own, but these are the ones I was fortunate enough to acquire in 2017 that have made probably the biggest impression on me. I'm sure I'm leaving some honorable mentions out...

• 2 months later...

I'll be honest, it would probably take me a while to figure out a Top 10 figures/toys of 2017. However, I do have a few in mind, some I own, some I don't. In no particular order:

- Mattel 12" DC Multiverse Movie Wonder Woman: I my opinion, 1 of the best affordable 12" figure of 2017(You know, something that is under $50 Canadian), as it cost around $35-$40 Canadian. Very Good likeness to Gadot, comes with sword, and energy like burst, and nice articulation. But the thing that puts it over the top is the 2 bullet ricochets that you can plug into her bracelets. That's almost Hot Toys-esque, at least to me(Never owned Hot Toys, as I don't think I'll ever will due to the price). The only thing missing was her Shield, which I think was a missed opportunity, because they could of had a few plugs on the shield to put those bullet ricochets on as well. Those bullet ricochets were enough to convince me to buy it, as I've never had a interest in buying 12" figures before. But this figure, started me off in strongly consider buying a few 12" figures from now and then if they are at a good price(For the record, I now have about 3 to 4 x 12" figures). It helps that I don't own a 6" Gadot WW figure either, so it work out for me, as it will be different scale and looking from my other 6" and under WW figures. Sigh, looks like I'm starting a new scale, and it's thanks to this figure.

- Hasbro TRU Exclusive Marvel Legends 6" Modern Hydra 2 Pack: Pretty much all the Marvel Legends 2 Packs where hits I think, especially the Spidey and MJ set, Homecoming, and the Dark Pheniox set. But the Hydra set, you could customize the 2 figures into different looks. I don't own this set because I felt I didn't need it(To be fair, if it was a Classic Hydra 2 pack, I would of jumped at it. Nothing wrong with modern, just didn't feel the need for it), but I think it's the best ML 2 pack of 2017.

- Hasbro 12" Marvel Legends Thor: I don't own this figure, but I can't deny that I think this is the best 12" Marvel Legends figure to date. Hulk is very cool thanks to his mass size. But the thing about Thor is that it just looks awesome to me regardless of which head he has, and I love how he comes with 2 hammers: 1 regular, 1 to represent when lighting is being channeled from it. I may strongly consider getting it.

- Hasbro Deluxe Transformers: Titans Returns Triggerhappy: Never heard of this guy till it got released, but I can't deny how great it looks. I think it's my Favourite Deluxe figure from Titans Returns, as I got it.

- Playmates SDCC TMNT Usagi Yojimbo: Don't own it. Nothing wrong with the regular release, but the SDCC version takes it to the next level thanks to the extra heads, more accessories, and the comic book included. I think it's the best SDCC Exclusive of 2017.

That's all I can think of. Guess I'm half way there though.

I truly feel like this figure is highly underrated...at first glance he might look a tad boring, and it seems like the general consensus is that it's hard to be excited about a version of a character that had never seen the big screen or a page in the comics,

That outfit is from the comics, it's from a story called Secret War not to be confused with Secret Wars(any version). The story is about Nick Fury discovering some intel concerning the new ruler of Latveria, which the U.S. government ignores and Nick Fury decides to take matter into his hands, so he puts a team consisting of Daredevil, Cap, Black Widow, Wolverine, Luke Cage and Daisy Johnson AKA Quake(first appearance) to put a stop to it. He gets them new outfits with a more "stealth" look to them and it's about the only time when Luke Cage ever wears an actual costume, I think. I won't get into too much details to avoid spoilers but the whole operation bites Fury in the butt and it is the start of a pretty much every major "event", "crossover" from that point till Avengers vs. X-men. Needless to say I'm a fan of the story, one of the reasons why I was excited when that figure was first announced and I wouldn't getting the rest of the team with their outfits.

• Like 1

I truly feel like this figure is highly underrated...at first glance he might look a tad boring, and it seems like the general consensus is that it's hard to be excited about a version of a character that had never seen the big screen or a page in the comics,

That outfit is from the comics, it's from a story called Secret War not to be confused with Secret Wars(any version). The story is about Nick Fury discovering some intel concerning the new ruler of Latveria, which the U.S. government ignores and Nick Fury decides to take matter into his hands, so he puts a team consisting of Daredevil, Cap, Black Widow, Wolverine, Luke Cage and Daisy Johnson AKA Quake(first appearance) to put a stop to it. He gets them new outfits with a more "stealth" look to them and it's about the only time when Luke Cage ever wears an actual costume, I think. I won't get into too much details to avoid spoilers but the whole operation bites Fury in the butt and it is the start of a pretty much every major "event", "crossover" from that point till Avengers vs. X-men. Needless to say I'm a fan of the story, one of the reasons why I was excited when that figure was first announced and I wouldn't getting the rest of the team with their outfits.

Yeah, but did he actually wear the outfit? I heard that he only appeared in this particular design in some character sketches or a cover or something (my Marvel reading days ended many many moons ago).

• Like 1

Yeah, but did he actually wear the outfit? I heard that he only appeared in this particular design in some character sketches or a cover or something (my Marvel reading days ended many many moons ago).

420879-10secretwar.jpg

637732-secretwar1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

420879-10secretwar.jpg

637732-secretwar1.jpg

Cool!! Thanks, Belmont!! I'll have to seek those books out. I was like mako in that I was under the impression that this particular costume was based on some unused concept art. Thought I read that somewhere...

• Like 1

What's confusing is that he only wears the costume in flashback scenes which are like 2 or 3 panels and those are not colored. The only time the costume appears fully rendered in color is in "behind the scenes" look of the art.

• 1 month later...

My Number one figure was Chun-Li. Her articulation is outstanding. I don't have a huge SH collection though but I did get quite a few last year thanks to the Barnes and noble sales.