unreleased 50th G.I. Joe package art

Goldbug

I really don't see these as anything more than the artist drawing things he liked. I have serious doubts that Hasbro would release an Action man figure in Joe scale since they have only done it once, though I really like those two pictures. Also don't think they would have released a Wild Weasel without a vechicle and Hasbro was pretty clear early on that we weren't getting any.

Well, what makes these seem legit to me is the tattoo on Rock 'm Roll's arm...back when the Rise of Cobra stuff was coming out, there was some talk of releasing him in the line, but for some reason Hasbro changed his name (trademark issues?) to Bench-press, and he sports that same tattoo and is a similarly-themed character, the heavy-gunner, muscle of the unit.

I really don't see these as anything more than the artist drawing things he liked. I have serious doubts that Hasbro would release an Action man figure in Joe scale since they have only done it once, though I really like those two pictures. Also don't think they would have released a Wild Weasel without a vechicle and Hasbro was pretty clear early on that we weren't getting any.

Umm this guy worked on package art for Hasbro.

Outback & Falcon are on the current packages just like that.

There are unreleased Wild Weasels on ebay that were produced before TRU decided not to go through with the vehicles. So they were pretty far along with them already. They are planned usually a year in advance.

Plus there was a red Transformers G.I. Joe crossover Powerglide as a Rattler. Scarlett & Zartan are from that package.

171728d1481055513-hand-pictures-cancelle

Well, what makes these seem legit to me is the tattoo on Rock 'm Roll's arm...back when the Rise of Cobra stuff was coming out, there was some talk of releasing him in the line, but for some reason Hasbro changed his name (trademark issues?) to Bench-press, and he sports that same tattoo and is a similarly-themed character, the heavy-gunner, muscle of the unit.

The Rock N Roll picture is actually based on the concept vault version. I'm not sure when he was planned but he got canceled twice now.

gijoe-unreleased-concept-case-rock-n-rol

• Like 1

I hate to say it but just going by that art those would-be figures have "Meh" written all over them. Which I suppose is a consequence of an entire line being composed of kit bashed scraps that they throw to fans once a year. You could probably go into your GI Joe box and find the very torsos, forearms, legs, etc, that the artist drew and make your own if you really wanted to.

Sorry for the negativity. I posted in the 3.75" Marvel thread that I don't see much of a future for this scale in general....GI Joe in particular. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in on week.

Sorry for the negativity. I posted in the 3.75" Marvel thread that I don't see much of a future for this scale in general....GI Joe in particular. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in on week.

Hate to say it, but Hasbro pulled a real hat-trick with Joe back in the day with JvsC/VvsV. Until or unless they can put that kind of effort into the line again, I don't see how there CAN be a future.

Hate to say it, but Hasbro pulled a real hat-trick with Joe back in the day with JvsC/VvsV. Until or unless they can put that kind of effort into the line again, I don't see how there CAN be a future.

To each their own, but I'd personally call the JvsC/VvsV stuff the "dark times" of the line in terms of the product that was produced. Wonky proportions, gimmicky accessories, and always being forced to buy a two pack. I have very few left from those days in my Joe collection. They made a huge step in the right direction with 25th which then kind of evolved into Pursuit of Cobra/30th which, to me, is just about the epitome of what I want in a modern GI Joe line. It seems like so long ago....

To each their own, but I'd personally call the JvsC/VvsV stuff the "dark times" of the line in terms of the product that was produced. Wonky proportions, gimmicky accessories, and always being forced to buy a two pack. I have very few left from those days in my Joe collection. They made a huge step in the right direction with 25th which then kind of evolved into Pursuit of Cobra/30th which, to me, is just about the epitome of what I want in a modern GI Joe line. It seems like so long ago....

You miss the point. I'm not talking so much about the material produced, as the fact that Hasbro was producing material.

A mainstream toyline (including vehicles, playsets, and figures in 2 different scales), 3 OVA movies, an animated series, and non-toy merchandising tie-ins. Add to that an original story-line driving the line, and a division of Hasbro devoted to it.

ALL toy properties should have dark times like that.

• Like 1

I knew what you meant Mako and you are right. Hasbro was riding the fine line between Adult Collector and kids aimed toyline and for the time it was really good. The problem was that They were starting to up their game in terms of some of the things they were doing with Star Wars and Joe collectors were wondering why we didn't have this and that (They were adding wrist and ankle articulation, ball joint head, things like that).

But since then Hasbro just hasn't seemed to know what to do with the line. Their first mistake was canceling 4 inch joes for Sigma SIx and then cancelling that for 25th anniversary. Then you had a slightly rushed first movie because of the writers strike and a second movie that was delayed a year and that killed all momentum.

The way we reminisce about when the line was full steam reminds me of movie cliches as the protagonists are going out in a blaze of glory....."we were really something"....at this point Joe is on the ER table & they're just about to call time of death....the last wave was not w/out it's charms but I wasn't too impressed....The 1st Joe Movie was okay & sold some toys & sparked some interest....the 2nd movie just killed what little momentum it had...hopefully they just reboot the mess & start over...small budget along the lines of Rogue One....at this point I know no one wants to hear 6" line due to costs....I know I would take small releases or even if the GI Joe club was willing to re-issue some stuff.....I would like to see the Killer Whale remade or the Mauler.....just no more Skystrikers or AweStrikers please....I woulda bought Rock N Roll if they only had released him instead of one of the newer figures they chose to go with in this last drop of Joes last year...

• Like 1

I was always disappointed by the way they treated Renegades....IMO it was starting to catch on & they cancelled the damned show.....they have umpteen nauseating Transformers cartoons but the 1st Joe based cartoon since Resolute.....they really just shiii the bed letting that slide away.....who's was the person or persons in charge of letting the Joe brand go down the crapper....

I was always disappointed by the way they treated Renegades....

For what its worth, I feel exactly the same way whenever I hear somebody rag on the Spytroops and Valor vs. Venom movies. To my mind, the ReelFX films and. though they aren't my cup of tea, Renegades and Sigma-6 are what Joe was meant to be.

Resolute? That was a load of crap for emotionally stunted 40 year-olds who couldn't bring themselves to accept the childrens' cartoon they were still obsessed with two decades later was closer to Sesame Street than Apocalypse Now.

• Like 1

For what its worth, I feel exactly the same way whenever I hear somebody rag on the Spytroops and Valor vs. Venom movies. To my mind, the ReelFX films and. though they aren't my cup of tea, Renegades and Sigma-6 are what Joe was meant to be.

Resolute? That was a load of crap for emotionally stunted 40 year-olds who couldn't bring themselves to accept the childrens' cartoon they were still obsessed with two decades later was closer to Sesame Street than Apocalypse Now.

Resolute was a mixed bag for me....either way, I wish somebody who grew up w/the name, who's sole focus would be joes.....Star Wars & other Hasbro mainstays have their spotlight...GI Joe was just a big for me as Star Wars & they didn't have the financial backing like SW but they still resonated w/an generation of kids....It's upsetting to see Joes just trickling out & looking like they have no game plan or focus for the future....we're the fans who kept the damned thing afloat long enough....the can't come up w/an Cartoon like Rebels or Clone Wars?....cmon they're losing money not filling that void....smh

Resolute was a mixed bag for me....either way, I wish somebody who grew up w/the name, who's sole focus would be joes.....Star Wars & other Hasbro mainstays have their spotlight...GI Joe was just a big for me as Star Wars & they didn't have the financial backing like SW but they still resonated w/an generation of kids....It's upsetting to see Joes just trickling out & looking like they have no game plan or focus for the future....we're the fans who kept the damned thing afloat long enough....the can't come up w/an Cartoon like Rebels or Clone Wars?....cmon they're losing money not filling that void....smh

With the state of the animation industry in this country, a year ago I would have told you there's zero chance for a good Joe toon (or even a crap one). Now, with outlets like Netflix moving more and more toward original content (including animated fare), I actually feel a tingle of hope for an eventual Joe show, and thus a new toy-line. It worked for Voltron.

And hey, if this Hasbro Universe thing pans out, who knows what might be in store.

A Netflix Joe series would be awesome, make it modern and updated, but enough throwbacks to the vintage to capture those fans. My only concern is right now they seem to be committed to the whole shared universe thing that they might not be able to do all these different things right now... but we can hope right?

• 1 month later...

All it takes is another couple of Hasbro execs to say "Let's breathe some life into the old girl again!" That's all I'm saying.

Boy, do I wish they would, brother...

The Rock N Roll picture is actually based on the concept vault version. I'm not sure when he was planned but he got canceled twice now.

gijoe-unreleased-concept-case-rock-n-rol

I would have been all over this figure...

• 2 months later...