Sign in to follow this  
yojoebro82

Rate your 2016 geek movies here!

I just listed those I have seen. If you have others that you consider "geek movies", go for it. I listed mine worst to first. WARNING! I did not make Civil War #1....

TMNT- I gave the first Bayturtles a pass, I found there to be enough redeeming qualities to call is an OK Turtles' movie. I couldn't get on board with number 2 though. Despite Beebop, Rocksteady, and Krang's first movie appearance, the writing was noticeably bad and predictable. And that's even after lowering the expectations going in. Amel's Casey Jones was weak. I hear they're giving this reboot the ax, and that's OK. This one is actually a distant last for me.

Ghostbusters- Prepared for the worst and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't anything amazing, but I enjoyed the humor which is the main thing. The big bad was lame and I didn't like the cartoony special effects. They hinted at a sequel in the after credits scene and I'd go see it.

Dawn of Justice- Lots of brooding with an angry, mow-down-the bad-guys Batman and a sad sack Superman. No contrast between the two personalities (which is essential). However, Batfleck did turn out pretty good and Wonder Woman was fun. Though she didn't need to be there. But you know....universe building....This probably only beat Ghostbusters because Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman play unfairly to my geek bias and it has to be really....really bad for me to not draw some level of enjoyment from it.

Civil War- The Avengers all fighting each other wins over geeks before even seeing the movie and yes, that airport fight scene was a lot of fun. Like always, the action, the acting, and the casting hit the spot for a comic movie. Unfortunately there is a lot of fat that could have been trimmed. I mean a lot.....and you still would have gotten the same story.

X-Men Apocalypse- Not as good as DOFP but still leading this franchise in the right direction wiping out mistakes made in X3 and Origins: Wolverine. I enjoyed Apocalypse (Isaac's portrayal was good and if you see the DVD, he's actually a huge fan) and the fact that we are getting big name X-Men like Jean, Scott, Kurt, etc. It thankfully was not the Jennifer Lawrence vehicle that the advertisements wanted you to think. Moira did not need to be in it, and I didn't think they needed to kill Magneto's family (it's been done).

Star Trek Beyond- If you like Star Trek, you need to accept that you're not getting a cerebral Star Trek movie in the year 2016. This, however, is probably the next best thing. Good story and action with the actors staying as true to the characters as any of the other two reboot films. Trading Kurzman and Orcci for Simon Peg (an obvious Trek fan) at the writer's helm was a step up. The best of the reboots by far.

I know I'm jumping the gun without seeing Dr. Strange but that's what I got so far.

Star Trek Beyond- If you like Star Trek, you need to accept that you're not getting a cerebral Star Trek movie in the year 2016. This, however, is probably the next best thing. Good story and action with the actors staying as true to the characters as any of the other two reboot films. Trading Kurzman and Orcci for Simon Peg (an obvious Trek fan) at the writer's helm was a step up. The best of the reboots by far.

Wow, I can't believe I found someone else who enjoyed this. I thought the first film was good, and while the second one was okay it didn't hold up well with rewatches. I really liked this third one because it felt like it actually remembered that Kirk was a character, while the main villain's motivation and goals actually fit perfectly as a parallel to what Kirk was going through in the film. It wasn't as spectacularly showy as the previous but it definitely had a little more heart put into the writing.

I'm gonna have to get back to you on this topic since most of these movies for me are wait until they are free or spend the least amount possible on their viewing, the only 2 I watched are BvS which I hated and Civil War which I loved. Also you didn't include Suicide Squad was that intentional or you just forgot?

Also you didn't include Suicide Squad was that intentional or you just forgot?

Oh thanks, I totally forgot about that. Now do I put it in front of or behind Ghostbusters......?

Now do I put it in front of or behind Ghostbusters......?

Well from what I hear Suicide Squad was better received than Ghostbusters but everyone is gonna have different opinions about that. lol

Now do I put it in front of or behind Ghostbusters......?

Well from what I hear Suicide Squad was better received than Ghostbusters but everyone is gonna have different opinions about that. lol

It left a lot to be desired. I hear studio tampering was to blame for a lot of its faults and I can believe it. I don't think I can rate it higher than DoJ, personally. There were some redeeming qualities, though. Harley Quinn was portrayed well......

I think I'll wait for the director's/extended edition for Suicide Squad. I didn't watch BvS in the cinemas but watched the extended edition on blu-ray and I simply cannot imagine some of the deleted scenes being left out of the film so I'll be doing the same for Suicide Squad.