Remember when vintage G1 toys cost an arm or a leg?

Doom Saber

Back when Yahoo auction existed in the US, a vintage Transformer figure would cost in the hundreds. A broken one would be anywhere in the hundred dollar range - I remember a junker Megatron went for a hundred and a seeker that is missing everything else was around $40 dollars. Because of the reissues and Transformers as a brand came back after years of Beast Wars and Beast Machines, vintage Transformers G1 are no longer overpriced. Has anyone collected vintage g1 figures at this time, and if so, what did you buy?

I can't speak for Transformers or Yahoo auctions (I don't remember those, what time frame did they operate from?), but I can relate to comics and G.I.Joe. Back in the mid 90's when the internet really started to take off I remember getting my first computer and seeing an advertisement for Mile High Comics website. Living in Wichita, I've had access to some nice comic book stores but there were always a couple things that eluded me. Mile high started having comics auction and I would win some of those things I knew existed but had never seen in person. Sometimes the price was a little high, but I was willing to pay it.

Then along came Ebay and everything started to change. You could find just about anything and if you waited long enough (sometimes months) you could get it for however much you wanted to change. My point is there used to be things you might have had when you where younger or things you wanted but had no idea how to get. With all the online places started popping up it became easier to find. At first some of that stuff was expensive because people didn't know where to look and the people selling hadn't dug for whatever they had to sell. Now days people hunt for things to sell online, so there a lot more choices to buy from which will most times drive the price down,

• Like 1

Yes, I'm so glad the prices have come down. I actually got a bunch of G1 reissues like Optimus Prime, Starscream, Swoop. I also got the Platinum Editions of Blaster/Perceptor and Trypticon.

The only original transformers I got from Ebay, was a cool lot of mini transformers (Cosmos, Seaspray, Warpath and a few more). I think now that the movies have come out and there's a lot more product, not many people want to get the original toys at the outrageous prices they were going for.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm so glad the prices have come down. I actually got a bunch of G1 reissues like Optimus Prime, Starscream, Swoop. I also got the Platinum Editions of Blaster/Perceptor and Trypticon.

The only original transformers I got from Ebay, was a cool lot of mini transformers (Cosmos, Seaspray, Warpath and a few more). I think now that the movies have come out and there's a lot more product, not many people want to get the original toys at the outrageous prices they were going for.

I feel the same too. Also, not a lot of those G1 figures were that great and those who now wants a G1ish Optimus Prime can get the Masterpiece version online. or get the recent Combiner Wars version.

• 2 weeks later...

I know man, the price for the original was insane back then. Thank goodness for the G1 reissue!
Otherwise, I would never have afforded so many G1 figures now, both the original and reissue.

I know man, the price for the original was insane back then. Thank goodness for the G1 reissue!

Otherwise, I would never have afforded so many G1 figures now, both the original and reissue.

What was odd was that the inflation of the vintage figures long ago was due to a few popular characters. When those characters were reissued, the G1 vintage line as a whole became drastically cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...