Sign in to follow this  
Devilbat

Holy crap...I may be done with Transformers...

Guys, I know I've been gushing over the latest stuff for quite some time, and I've even bought quite a few figures lately, but...after my experience this evening, I may be done for good. I know this seems completely out of left field, but after a certain incident awhile ago, I've come to realize some things...

Okay, so some of you guys saw the Combiner Wars pics I posted earlier. Well, I've really been enjoying them, and I had even enjoyed putting Optimus Maximus together and posing him for pics. Then later I decided to transform everybody into their vehicle modes, and that's where everything went south real quick...

I transformed Prowl, Hound, Trailbreaker, and Ironhide easily enough, although a ball-joint here and there kept popping-off from time to time. No big deal...modern Transformers are known to do that, and they're easy enough to pop back on, right?

Then it occurred to me that the more I transformed these guys and moved their non-ratcheting hips and arms around and back-and-forth a few dozen times, they're eventually gonna get loose, and if they're loose, they won't necessarily stay in their alt. modes very well or stand-up, or anything else for that matter that required their joints to be stable. And even as a kid I was never one to man-handle my toys very much, just enough to open them and display them mostly...

I also noticed that if I wasn't extremely careful, and even when I was...some of the parts of the figures' respective molds would rub and scrape from time to time as I tried to figure-out the transformation process of each, although I didn't find any damage. And geeze...those dimly-colored surprisingly-vague "instructions" Hasbro included weren't alot of help either. I must have wrestled with Sunstreaker for over an hour trying to figure out how to configure his legs into his car mode. It became so frustrating at one point that I just about chucked poor ol' 'Streaker into File #13... (lol)

Then I began to wonder how many other Transformers I owned would turn out the same way when I opened them...parts that scrape, joints that pop-out and/or become loose over time, and headache-inducing transformations that just conjured more frustration than any enjoyment I'd have looking at these things on my shelf. *sheesh*

I guess I just don't like actively handling my collectibles to begin with, and I've always balked at the thought of producing loose joints in any toy I ever owned, even as a kid. I just hate that this one, isolated experience has irritated me to the point of giving-up a part of my hobby that I've enjoyed since childhood.

I may just give-up my Combiner Wars stuff and maybe sell the rest on eBay...that's how aggravated I am right now. If anyone's interested, the CW stuff is brand-new, and I promise I didn't break anything in my frustration. (lol) I was still gentle with it all. I have all of the Autobots, minus the Aerialbots, Technobots, and Protectobots of course, and I also just completed all of the Combaticons...they've all been transformed just once into their alt. modes, very gently, all except for Onslaught...I just posed him once right out of the package...he's barely been touched.

I might even be open to some trading if anyone is interested. I've got excellent feedback on eBay...I've been selling for years, and I've even dealt with some of you guys on here...JoeRhyno most recently. I pack stuff gently and very securely.

omg really?Because they get loose? Instead of buying everything just set yourself to a certain few.That ridiculous made up combiner that never was was one way I save money.I got the bots from the Classics line and didn't need more'I also hit the Headmasters not all of them only the true G1 versions.I don't beleive Blurr and Scourge should be headmasters and I don't know why they aren't Targetmasters.Otherwise now it the mini transformers I like

I'm the same way I only have so far for the Headmasters Skullcrusher and only well get High Brow as for the Combiners the only ones I have are the true Stunticons with Wildride and only First Aid and my new Groove that I got last week. I don't plan on getting the ones that never combine like Prowl or Ironhide. I know Mirage and Optimus did in one epoiso but I just don't like how Mirage look in this combiner as like you Wheeljack I don't know why the likes of Blurr,Scoruge and Hot Rod and Blaster are Headmasters when they where Targetmaster exspet Blaster.

omg really?Because they get loose? Instead of buying everything just set yourself to a certain few.That ridiculous made up combiner that never was was one way I save money.I got the bots from the Classics line and didn't need more'I also hit the Headmasters not all of them only the true G1 versions.I don't beleive Blurr and Scourge should be headmasters and I don't know why they aren't Targetmasters.Otherwise now it the mini transformers I like

(lol) Yeah...I think I may have overreacted just a little bit. It was really really late, and I was very tired. Sleeping on it has put it in better perspective for me. I just hate hate hate a figure with loose joints...I guess it's an OCD issue I've always had. And I don't like the notion of having a Transformer that becomes damaged or scratched-up due to its transformation... that just kills my appreciation for the figure as a whole. It becomes a glaring flaw about a given figure when it has issues like that...

But like I said...I was really tired and I guess it just struck me the wrong way when I couldn't transform a measly little Deluxe Class Transformer figure. And Wheeljack, I really do just go for the occasional figure...I don't have to have them all, as it were. I just found the notion of some of my favorite classic G1 characters combining with Optimus Prime himself so awesome...had something like that come-out some thirty years ago or so in the original line, it would have blown our collective little minds. (lol)

Oh, and I learned one more thing...I probably shouldn't post anything after midnight. I'm usually in a weird frame of mind late at night... (lol)

• Like 2

I can totally understand where your coming from on the loose joints and posting after midnight. I often read back some of my post the next day, and I'm like was I half sleep when i posted that haha. Going back the the loose joints I have a few G1's that can't hold their guns up anymore cause the shoulder joints are so loose. Makes me mad sometimes, but I played with them a lot so just one of those things....ya know.

(lol) Yeah, at the end of the day, they're just toys. Sometimes I get so caught-up in it all that I forget that little fact...

I don't have him anymore since I got a reissue one of him. But the Soundwave I had, I had to have his legs facing backwards to get him to stand up in robot mode. As with Sharpnle he is a shorty Incenticon his legs keeps making him shrink down to his feet is the same way with my Bluestreak.

Yes...that's why I've not bought any more reissues and displayed them. There are very few, if any ratcheting joints in alot of the older G1 molds. I think some reissues would look great on display, but don't mess with them. Speaking of loose G1 figure joints, can the G1 Megatron even stand on his own? I'd imagine he's a nightmare to stand-up in a display.

If you want to talk irritating transformation, pick up the Autobot brothers from the original RID line from 2000 or 2001, those guys called into question my sanity. lol But i do understand where you are coming from. I have a few that I will never transform again just because it so frustrating.

To your question on G1 Megs. I have the reissue and he stands up perfectly, however I have only transformed him 3 or 4 times. I would imagine an original with plenty of play wear would have a hard time standing.

Yes...the RID line. I remember getting so excited that Hasbro was finally doing vehicle-based Transformers again following the decline of Beast Wars and all of the subsequent Beast-related lines. I was tempted a time or two to get into the BW stuff...I've even owned a handful of them over the years, but I always ended-up selling them. At first they were the only Transformers available at the time, and although I loved how articulated they all were and interesting they seemed, in a way they also depressed me on some level because they didn't resemble the figures I grew up with. Then RID came along, and finally we had Transformers that changed into vehicles again, with what seemed like near-G.I. Joe-esque articulation...every fan's dream. I had Prime and two of the Autobot brothers. I opened X-Brawn, and I liked him enough, but I noticed on the Prime his red vac-metal chrome paint would rub-off every time you combined him with the rest of his fire-engine parts, so I got rid of him. Actually I eventually got rid of all of them, although I don't remember why. I guess I needed the money for something else... (lol)

As for the re-issue Megs, I seem to remember my little brother's original had a hard time holding up his arm cannon; the thing was three times bigger and heavier than his arm. (lol) So understandably he doesn't hold it up all that well, from what I remember. (But y'know, considering the historical significance of the figure to the lore, I still want one.) (lol)