Do you ever see yourself parting with your toys?

SKYWARP

Just wondering because I know a lot of us here have pretty good collections. So as the years pass and we get older and older haha

what do you plan on doing with your toy collections? I wonder about this myself because I don't have any kids, so no one to pass them onto. fast forward a lotta lotta years down the road and lets say I'm 75 am I keeping my collection till I die? I don't think so. I have no idea what I'm going to do with everything then, but I do think about it every now and then. Anybody else here ever think about that?

I used to think about it alot...nowadays I just really don't care. If my wife and daughter want to do something with it when I'm gone someday down the road, that's fine. Otherwise I'm gonna keep it and enjoy it as long as it means something to me and I think it's fun.

I always think about this. Well more, what are they going to do with them while I'm gone. I have a rather large chunk of the basement, the office, the garage and storage I'm splitting with my brother... I'd say a good third to half of it I picked up from a friend or other people for shows to sell. A few years ago, I started getting rid of a bunch of stuff, and was doing a local show, offered to a friend to help him sell some of his stuff too, and he sent me like 20 large boxes (large like, you can fit a Cobra Terrordrome large) of his stuff. Over the years, I sold that down but also got new stuff here and there, it was almost like an addiction (still is a bit), I'd see stuff on clearance, pick it up to throw on the table at a decent price, I'd make a little money, I wasn't "scalping", just helping out those poor toys from going to the island of misfit toys, lol... but it got addicting and people would come to shows expecting me to have new stuff, so I'd order cases of this wave, cases of that wave, just to have stuff at my table that people were currently looking for, so I didn't seem like that old guy down the way with the dusty old Spawn figures he has had for 15 years, lol...

Anyway... I kinda stopped that, I had so much stuff I was thinking of trying to open up a small mom & pop toy store... but then I'd go to some shows and see some of the stuff that some people had that did have a store had... and even though I had a garage and storage full... it didn't seem like enough... so I kinda stopped (I say kinda, because, well... I think I have 2 Black series Ties I have for the table, lol)... but anyway...

I do think about what the hell will happen to all that crap and hope my wife and son aren't overwhelmed by it all when I'm gone, I'm not getting younger... and I'm not exactly the healthiest guy on the planet... so my hope is my local collecting friends and my family will help them if needed. My plan these next couple of years is to get away from selling and that toy store pipe dream and to just collect what I like, and get back to customizing... oh... yeah, a lot of stuff I bought for custom ideas that never happened, lol... you should see that wall!!!

I think about this from time to time. I've already started thinning out a lot of my collection for this very reason. I've made about 3k on ebay in the last year selling things and feel like I've hardly even put a dent in what I have. Lol I have so much stuff that I don't display, that has never been opened...at this point in my life, I figure why do I have it if I'm not enjoying it? Might as well make some money off it.

My goal is to eventually get my collection down to just what I can display. Basically, anything I think is cool from Star Wars 6" Black Series (mostly OT stuff), some Marvel Legends stuff, the main characters from MOTUC, and my 80s Joe collection, which is every single carded figure from 82-90 along with some of the more iconic vehicles. The rest will all eventually go bye-bye via ebay.

Unless the industry gets totally ridiculous like the comic book industry, I don't see myself quitting anytime soon.

On the other hand, I'm not quite so fanatical about my collection as some. If I need a little extra money, and a better version of such-and-such character has been released I'll put the original on Ebay.

Outside of toys given to me as gifts, or ones with other sentimental value, they're just things. I can part with them whenever I want. I can always get more.

In my mind I think I have a alot of stuff but I have a feeling it's just chump change compared to some of you guys collections...haha...not a dig, I'm a firm believer of collecting whatever the H you want...as long as your not hurting anyone because there are lots worse things to be doing with your cash... over time collecting bugs change w/the wind....When I was a kid I used to collect Comics, Garbage Pail Kids, M.u.s.c.l.e. figs, those small 4X4 Toy Trucks they used to have in the Happy Meals...& lots of other random crap back then....Currently one of the random items I can think of is 2 packages of "Ring Raiders" MOC that I know I don't need but I know that I'm going to get rid of at some point...I think I've got at least 10 pounds of Lego's & hundreds of lego guys from random garage sales over the last few years....as far as what's near & dear to me....when it's all said & done...I think my youngest nephew is going to be a spoiled little guy for a bit(He loves superheroes, even more-so than my other nephews & nieces) I'll prolly sell some off to pay some bills & free up some space..& I know that Toys for Tots is great for donations but I want some poor as$ kids to get some love....*cue violin* I wasn't rolling in joes & robots back in the day, we were poor folks....I thought it was a big deal when I got Pilot Luke Skywalker for Xmas & my older brother got Darth!....we could play together or not....my brother was an child genius so toys didn't really hold that much interest for him...the few times we did play "joes or star wars" together he ran the show..meaning Luke didn't save the universe in those battles.....my brother was a fan of the Empire & he traded his Darth figure away for some comics cause he liked to read....haha...it would be nice to find an "surrogate family" for my stuff haha...find some "Charley Bucket" & bestow him the glory of some kick-arse toyz.....or Plan B where I'm going to die in my "Smaug Pit" smothered under by stacks of Marvel Legends & G.I Joes....the firefighters will have to break down my door & make their way through what must seem like 5 toy stores under one HUD home size roof.....there I am frozen in time clutching my Zombie Hulk (no pun) & Optimus Prime.....like I'm trying to bargain with Lady Death....you can have my ZH & OP but you can't take my Vintage TF "Skyfire" w/combat gear.....in the end I hope I'm stuck in the attic w/my toys & my lady like the Maitlands in Betelguese.... @peace@

• Like 1

I've been really thinking about this a lot the last couple of years. My cousin passed away a couple years ago and had a huge comics a toy collection (we were both about the same age, but in different cities and kept in contact because of our mutual interests). He was married and his parents got left with all his stuff. As far as I know they are still sitting on about 75% of it just because they had/have no real idea what to do with it. The comics (which were mid 70's through about 2010 and filled about 90 long boxes) are worth about 30k or so but they have been offered only about $1500 for all of it. I'm not even sure if they still have it or if they got rid of it.

My point here is that unless you want it in a land fill, take time to have it go somewhere. Don't let it be someone elses head ache after your gone. Donate it to a local shop if you don't care about what happens to it.

My point here is that unless you want it in a land fill, take time to have it go somewhere. Don't let it be someone elses head ache after your gone. Donate it to a local shop if you don't care about what happens to it.

Sorry to hear about your cousin. You make a great point, if something happened to me my family wouldn't really have a clue what to do with any of my stuff, not to mention not knowing about how much anythings worth. To me I'd want my family to get something out of all my years of collecting. If not I'd hope it could be spread out to different kids who would enjoy and appreciate it.