My Collection (CaptainTriumph)

CaptainTriumph

The first issue of the first comic series I collected from start to finish circa 1981. Notice the somewhat obscured photo of Capt. Triumph....Though he never did show up in the comic, this photo got my attention as a youth.

Love the old comics. There is a local guy that makes those mini magnets. He has some cool NES box art, I kinda want to get them, but then I'm afraid I'd want them all, lol.

Is that the Flash cover they redid for the TV show a couple years ago?

Justice League of America #192 and #193: the two part "true origin" of the Red Tornado(July and August, 1981) Issue #193 also included the 16 page prevue of The All-Star Squadron. Interesting the prevue showed a whopping 28 different heroes in either action or cameos....not bad for 16 pages!

post-16172-0-11270200-1471310983_thumb.jpg

post-16172-0-66004100-1471311007_thumb.jpg

And since we talking about the Red Tornado, then how about his first appearance : Justice League of America #64(August 1968). This would be the first part of the 6th annual team-up of the JLA/ JSA. 11 different members of the JSA show up in the issue and there's even a shout out to the original Red Tornado: Ma Hunkle!

post-16172-0-09669900-1471311753_thumb.jpg

Hey, thanks for sharing-- I love seeing which old issues people have favoured over their years of collecting.

Aside from a couple of shelves of trade paperbacks and other collected editions, the bulk of my comic books are on the other side of the country-- I've been away for about a decade.

Yeah-- when I headed out west in summer '07 I didn't take much with me.

Away from your books for over a decade? That's tough. I did that for just a few years when I was stationed in Germany.

Issues 2 and 3 of the All-Star Squadron(Oct/Nov 1981) which concludes the origin / first story arc. Per Degaton is defeated and all is set right in the world....or is it? Even as a child this bugged me. So Degaton was defeated and all traces of the adventure was wiped out but no one questions the loss of a day+ of memories? The most obvious result of this event was the prevention of the heroes from assisting Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th. But what stopped them now that Per Degaton wasn't there? And don't even get me started on Danette Reilly and her inavertingly receiving super powers....why does she still have them? Time Paradoxs give me a headache!

post-16172-0-98089900-1471689211_thumb.jpg

post-16172-0-42052600-1471689231_thumb.jpg

All-Star Squadron #4(Dec 1981....40 years after Pearl Harbor). This issue follows the combined JSA and All-Stars heading to Pearl Harbor to assess the damage and help out. What is firmly establish is that the Japanese have the Holy Grail(This is also the first appearance of the Dragon King). With the Grail in conjunction with Hitlers Spear of Destiny in Axis possession that means the most powerful heroes are blocked from direct conflict during the rest of the war. Otherwise powerful heroes like Superman and the Spectre could have ended the war in an afternoon of work!

post-16172-0-33405200-1471777899_thumb.jpg

For those enjoying the glimpse into CaptainTriumph's collection-- consider sharing yours as well in new threads.

I'm creating the space here in Comic Book Talk for a little show and tell.

Thank you again for sharing, CaptainTriumph-- you've started off what I'm hoping will be a semi-regular feature among our posters.

Details here:

http://forums.toynewsi.com/topic/2098582-my-collection-threads-show-us-your-stash/

DC Special Series #29(Aug / Sept 1977): The untold origin of the Justice Society. What a great issue! It not only introduces the JSA to one another and form the team that we all know....it also gives all ten of the heroes a moment or two to shine during the story. Hitler in possession of the Spear of Destiny is introduced into comic lore. We also see why Hitler never invaded Great Britian...at least on Earth 2.!

post-16172-0-18291900-1471865511_thumb.jpg

Secret Origins #31(Oct 1986). Basically this is th Post-Crisis version of the Origin of the JSA. With Batman and Superman no longer members of the Society some changes to the origin were required. Spectre, Dr Fate and Green Lantern definitely receive a bump in story focus especially the Spectre at the end.

post-16172-0-46613000-1471865413_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

All-Star Squadron #5(Jan 1982). This is the first of a two-part story where a small group of All-Stars go to Mexico to find the missing Shiera Sanders(Hawkgirl). Several events happen in this book. First the J.S.A. disbands so it's various members can join the armed services. Johnny Quick and Robotman save the Statue of Liberty from saboteurs. And finally Danette Reilly's flame powers emerge causing her to take on the Firebrand name from her brother. Originally Roy Thomas wanted to use the obscure Quality heroine Wildfire. However D.C. nixies this since there is a Wildfire in the LSH at this time. The Golden-Age Wildfire would have to wait over a decade more before she gets an official D.C. appearance in the Golden Age mini-series(More on that in the future). This issue would also have a brief appearance of Shiera(Hawkgirl) at the end. At this time, this was one of her only appearances in a comic since the golden age!

post-16172-0-39313500-1489519598_thumb.jpg

Superboy #195(June 1973): And speaking of Wildfire of the Legion of Super-Heroes....how about his first appearance? At this time the LSH was only a backup feature in Superboy but they were shortly going to take over the title. Wildfire(Erg-1) in this story attempts to join the LSH but is rejected. However he seemingly perishes saving the day by the end of the story. Wildfire would return a year later in Superboy 202. Wildfire was created by Cary Bates and Dave Cockrum who was the artist at the time. Cockrum would be leaving DC Comics soon to co-created the all-new, all-different X-Men!

post-16172-0-16018400-1489520831_thumb.jpg

All-Star Squadron #6(February 1982) This is the second part of the Feathered Serpent story. By the end of it, we get Shiera Sanders back in costume as Hawkgirl and have her officially join the team. Also we have the last panel tease of a returning to comics Baron Blitzkrieg!

post-16172-0-02831800-1489531142_thumb.jpg

All-Star Comics #62(October 1976). This issue would be Shiera Sanders first appearance in a comic book since 1949! She didn't even get a single panel at all in the Silver Age and had to wait till the Bronze Age to reappear. However her Hawkgirl identity is firmly established in this story.

post-16172-0-87760100-1489533062_thumb.jpg

World's Finest Comics #246 and #247(September & November 1977): At this time, World's Finest was a dollar sized anthology comic with multiple stories per issue. The Golden-Age Wonder Woman starred in a two-parter which introduced and provided an origin for Baron Blitzkrieg. Because of the ongoing tv series, Wonder Woman was constantly being featured in WW2 era adventures.

post-16172-0-25030400-1490062159_thumb.jpg

post-16172-0-93618200-1490062180_thumb.jpg