A Look Back At M.A.S.K. - the Mobile Armored Strike Kommand

JoeRhyno

Wasn't sure if anyone saw this article yet:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=26905

I wasn't a huge MASK fan, I had a couple vehicles as a kid, my brother had a couple and I think my one neighbor had a ton. I remember being jealous of the ones he had, lol... with that said, who all is excited about the resurgence of MASK? excited about the cinematic universe, the comics? I actually don't get a lot of comics now, but I'm going to pick up the new IDW shared universe stuff, I'm really hoping it takes off. What do you guys think?

Wasn't sure if anyone saw this article yet:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=26905

I wasn't a huge MASK fan, I had a couple vehicles as a kid, my brother had a couple and I think my one neighbor had a ton. I remember being jealous of the ones he had, lol... with that said, who all is excited about the resurgence of MASK? excited about the cinematic universe, the comics? I actually don't get a lot of comics now, but I'm going to pick up the new IDW shared universe stuff, I'm really hoping it takes off. What do you guys think?

I had a few of the vehicles, but I was more into G.I. Joe. I LOVED the cartoon though.

As for the cinematic universe? I WANT it to succeed, but I know its gonna suffer the same weaknesses that plagued G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Jem.

I see people responding to this article on social media and wishing/hoping for GI Joe styled super articulated figures and I honestly don't think that'd happen. Anyone see those 2.5" Guardians of the Galaxy & Avengers figures and playsets? I'm betting anything, if we get toys, it's like those.

They could do an 3.75 version w Figs/vehicles but I think they would be massively expensive & under-detailed(crappy paint jobs & such)....The figs are do-able but "they" would need to at least do core characters....but my fear is the "kung fu grip" factor for the toys....how much would they toddler-ize the toys to make them marketable to junior? We as grown folks would definitely be down for nostalgia but we make up a smalllllll portion of the buyers for these particular toys....so if we did get an MASK line it would be an rebooted version of yesterdays toys....so it wouldn't be exactly like the old ones....ON another note though....I got really darn lucky a few years back & snagged up at least 9 vehicles & a handful of figures from some kid at a garage sale...I paid him nearly 80 buxx for a box full of lightly used MASK gold...great buy....unfortunately I put the toys in warehouse & now I can't find them.....they're there but I need to dig them out....that 25 th ann GI Joe Matt Tracker was awesome sauce by the way...

• 3 weeks later...

I agree GD...if someone would have went back in time and told my twelve-year-old self that someday they'd make a G.I. Joe figure of Matt Trakker, it would have blown my little mind. (lol)

I loved M.A.S.K. back in the day. I had a ton of them, even the Boulder Hill playset. I didn't get any of the later waves, like the "Split Seconds" ones, regrettably. I think I'd be on board for a reboot, if it's done right. A big part of my love of the vintage line came from the scale...they were just big enough to have some great details, but small enough to allow for some large vehicles and the one playset. I'm not sure I'd get into a larger scale, but maybe they'll prove me wrong if they go that route.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish they would do a cartoon reboot along with some figures to go with that. MASK wasn't my favorite back then , but it was still up there. And Yeah GD that 25th GI Joe version of Matt Tracker was awesome. Made me want some more Mask figures in that GI Joe line.

To think about it, M.A.S.K. is really a no-brainer toy-wise. I mean think of todays obsession with Minimates and Lego-style minifigures. Plus, if Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy proved anything, its that a line of M.A.S.K. type figures and vehicles could fly in this day and age.

Now, a new cartoon might be a hard-sell seeing as how the animation industry in the United States is virtually dead, but who knows.

I guess I am seeing those "little guys" selling at Target & Wahmat.... & Mini-mates do sell as well.....if they re-issued MASK toys in that size then "Matt Tracker" could potentially pilot the "Milano" from the smaller Guardians of the Galaxy line that was out awhile back.....I still see those toys at Big Lots & Ross from time to time...the "Milano" dropped to $10 on Clearance Clarence at Walmart way back when, but I passed on it....I would hope the paint apps would be decent though....those GOTG figs were looking a bit rough round the plastic edges...

If done right it's a line that could have a lot of potential. Comic, cartoon, and a movie maybe. Wait is this the 80's...haha

I know there is a comic coming, and I've heard rumors of a movie possibly in the far far future. So who knows maybe there's some good MASK stuff coming.